2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read that you had a 600lb squat in high school too. That true?

660 sir. I had a 29” waist and 26” thighs at one point. They wouldn’t let me max out so going on a 3 rep max getting and math to say that. I have put up 600+ with reps though.

Did 6 reps at 900# on the leg press sled. I don’t know what I was actually pressing as it was about a 45* incline. My wrestling coach (squat 570ish) could only get 3 up.

660 sir. I had a 29” waist and 26” thighs at one point. They wouldn’t let me max out so going on a 3 rep max getting and math to say that. I have put up 600+ with reps though.

Did 6 reps at 900# on the leg press sled. I don’t know what I was actually pressing as it was about a 45* incline. My wrestling coach (squat 570ish) could only get 3 up.
Wow, a 600lb squat with a 315 bench press as a170lb teenager is world record sort of stuff. It's a shame you have up on it.

Wow, a 600lb squat with a 315 bench press as a170lb teenager is world record sort of stuff. It's a shame you have up on it.

Nope. Country strong. You bail hay and run shingles up a ladder for years, you have a lot more strength than you think.

My bench wasn’t anything special. I had a MSU commit that benched way more than me. I did squat a lot more than most. I was definitely the only 600#+ squat guy I knew that didn’t play D1 football. The 170 was during 3 a days and I wrestled at 171, it wasn’t a terrible cut but I had to lose some water to get there.

Funny my school listed me at 235#, lol. I’m under that now at 42. But if you look at me beside some guys that were 235# (for football) I was built similar. A lot more lean but I filled out the pads the same. I just don’t think most folks I went up against expected someone that was probably a full second faster in the 40 than most that size.

I once went up against Orlando Pace, him at 350# me at 170ish, in a football game. It was one of those that I think are now called The Under Armour game or something similar. I was playing DT. Kids were committing left and right to schools but I didn’t even have a full ride offer.

If he got his hands on me or even fell on me it was over. I won a decent amount of snaps by being so much more explosive and so much faster. If he got his hands on me he drove me 10 yards downfield and piledrived me. The only exceptions to that was late in the game and I flat out told him I’d knee his nuts every time he got dirty with me, and he was a dirty dude, lol. A couple “cramps” where he sat out and he stopped being dirty. Ball pain sucks.

Funny enough I also was the punter and place kicker in that game. You’d think I gave enough looks, but I just wasn’t great anywhere. Country strong. Mean when needed. Kicked good but why give a scholarship when you can recruit a soccer walk on every year that can kick better than me?

Nope. Country strong. You bail hay and run shingles up a ladder for years, you have a lot more strength than you think.

My bench wasn’t anything special. I had a MSU commit that benched way more than me. I did squat a lot more than most. I was definitely the only 600#+ squat guy I knew that didn’t play D1 football. The 170 was during 3 a days and I wrestled at 171, it wasn’t a terrible cut but I had to lose some water to get there.

Funny my school listed me at 235#, lol. I’m under that now at 42. But if you look at me beside some guys that were 235# (for football) I was built similar. A lot more lean but I filled out the pads the same. I just don’t think most folks I went up against expected someone that was probably a full second faster in the 40 than most that size.

I once went up against Orlando Pace, him at 350# me at 170ish, in a football game. It was one of those that I think are now called The Under Armour game or something similar. I was playing DT. Kids were committing left and right to schools but I didn’t even have a full ride offer.

If he got his hands on me or even fell on me it was over. I won a decent amount of snaps by being so much more explosive and so much faster. If he got his hands on me he drove me 10 yards downfield and piledrived me. The only exceptions to that was late in the game and I flat out told him I’d knee his nuts every time he got dirty with me, and he was a dirty dude, lol. A couple “cramps” where he sat out and he stopped being dirty. Ball pain sucks.

Funny enough I also was the punter and place kicker in that game. You’d think I gave enough looks, but I just wasn’t great anywhere. Country strong. Mean when needed. Kicked good but why give a scholarship when you can recruit a soccer walk on every year that can kick better than me?
Still amazing. I mean, in the history of the International Powerlifting Federation, there has never been a teenager in the -181 weight class that bench pressed 315 and squatted 600+.

Still amazing. I mean, in the history of the International Powerlifting Federation, there has never been a teenager in the -181 weight class that bench pressed 315 and squatted 600+.

I dunno man, lifting was a means to my goal. The 315# bench wasn’t anything special. I wasn’t even the beat pound for pound at my country school.

Yeah the squat was a lot but from 13 on I was carrying 280#’s of shingles up a ladder all day. So I guess I wound up pretty strong. There was no “I’m between sets” either. I either carried two bundles up or 4 bundles up at a time. I could move slower and more effectively with 4 so I went that route.

You should try yoga. It's been a big help in those areas for me. I use SaraBethYoga on youtube. Great videos for beginners and more advanced. Try it out. The first few will be difficult, but you will see a difference if you stick with it!

Thanks for this. Took a look at her videos and I’m going to give this one a try... It’d be nice to address the light case of sciatica that it appears I’ve developed and hopefully add some additional flexibility and strength to prevent it from flaring up.

I’ll find the old 1200# club t-shirt if I need to. Hell, I just need to find my senior football poster. I’m sure I was wearing it then. No doubt popping huge muscles in my arms.

It was a 1000 club. Bench, squat and C&J. I think I only made it to the 1200’club. MSU commit guy should have but he was lazy. Shame. Dude was 6’4” and weighed 240 going in and was as fast (or really close) to me. I never ran a 40 that was officially timed, but he could keep up with me for 50yards or so.. and I could run a consistent electrically timed 10.9-11.0 100m. Damn when I was a freshman there was a legit electronically timed 10.5 guy from a neighbor school. He was about 5’9” and 190. Only guy I’ve ever looked at his legs and said “damn?!!?!!” I think he played for a lessor D1 type school, Toledo? Bowling Green? I don’t remember. Like Ronnie that I described earlier, I don’t think he made the most of his talent. I was even in every track race for 40-50 yards. He beat me by 8 yards by the end and it was 20 in the 200.

I think he was sub 22 seconds in the 200, hell it might have been sub 21. He was fast and just when you thought you could keep up at 40-50 yards in he’d put three steps between you before you could even blink.

He (Ronnie) also never made the team even (MSU) though he had a full ride. I’d have to look it up but I think Saban sent him back home. Or he went on his own. I haven’t spoke to him much since then.

Thanks for this. Took a look at her videos and I’m going to give this one a try... It’d be nice to address the light case of sciatica that it appears I’ve developed and hopefully add some additional flexibility and strength to prevent it from flaring up.

Nice, glad you looked into it! First few times might be difficult, but with time you'll be amazed with how much it will improve your flexibility and hopefully relieve some pain! Good luck!

Effff I waited way too late to do my p90x3 session tonight. I just had to get a sim round in first. :LOL: CVX was a freaking awesome workout though!

Good Monday morning after a night of rough sleep. The baby woke up around 3, and while she was able to get back to sleep, I was not...

Squats - 300X5x3
Overhead press 117.5x5x3
Deadlift 380x5
Moved them ok, but felt like you'd expect after bad sleep.

Alright here we go... usually lent is for giving up things... this year i am adding to better myself. Gym 4 times a week with healthy eating! Super speed 3x a week!

Alright here we go... usually lent is for giving up things... this year i am adding to better myself. Gym 4 times a week with healthy eating! Super speed 3x a week!
Get it! I need to join you on the super speed.

Had a great Monday. Good dumbbell arm workout, and a nice flexibility yoga session.

Starting Wednesday I'll be fasting between meals, and trying to increase the exercise regimen to at least 30 minutes a day. No sugar in coffee, and just water otherwise. Going to try this for 40 days, reevaluate, and see if the benefits are worth continuing out past those 40 days.

Squats last night went pretty damn well. 430 for four sets of 2. Finished with 2 sets of 2 at 435 which moved really well for the fatigue that I had built up. I just need to get reaclimated to squatting heavier weights. Did some halting deadlifts. 475 for a set of five.

Took two days off. Needed the recovery. Didn’t get it. I know I’m not going to be feeling the workout tonight, but it’s happening.

Plus there's a Shaft Up reward at the end of this🤛

I'm on day 2 of a 5-day fast to kick off Lent. So far, so good. Just water & bulletproof coffee until Friday evening.
And lots of rowing.

Plus there's a Shaft Up reward at the end of this🤛

I'm on day 2 of a 5-day fast to kick off Lent. So far, so good. Just water & bulletproof coffee until Friday evening.
And lots of rowing.
We might have to start a Lent fasting group here! That's what I'm doing, but enjoying the last day before the official kick off! Good for you getting started early!

I'm down 3.4 pounds which is a good thing but my back and core is sore with the new swing movements.. need to ramp up my flexibility work

Good workout today.
Squats 305x5x3
Bench press 175x5x3
Power Clean 150x3x5

I'm glad that power clean day coincided with my long game fitting this afternoon. Doing that after heavy deadlifts would have been no bueno.

No specific plan yesterday, but shoveling snow sure got the heart pumping and the arms and back tired.

Skipped 3 days but got back at it tonight. Not sure I brought it, but my heart rate was going!

My old body is failing me. Glad everyone's doing well but I strained my quad and I think my intercostal (rib cage). That pesky little thing makes just about any movement unpleasant at the moment.

After playing stiff shafts in my driver and fairways, today I had the highest swing speed I have ever had, clocking in at 111 mph at the highest. Strength is good.

Eating was not great today but got decent exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back