2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Tonight, day 3 into true workout adventure. 3 minutes on heavy bagx3 (wore gloves, broke two knuckles last weekend-spinning backfists come fast from a former LD guy?)

1 minute x3 heavy sparring with my middle son. First time he’s hit me. Only once. He listened. He learned. He’s learned my weakness from traditional, it’ll take him a bit to find it when I went southpaw (lead leg) but he will.

2. 3 minutes x3 heavy grappling last 30 seconds were teaching my son how to pull off a Kimora from guard or top. It ain’t easy, but will end a fight fast if someone is not trained.

3. 165x6x2 bench 175x7 (to fail) last set. I feel ok with this at 220ish just getting back into it at 42. Is love to write “330x10x5 just to work out the soreness”. Yeah. No.

4. Squat-No. legs cramped trying to get 300 off the rack. Going to really have to build up here. Figured 1/2 of max lifting weight to start on everything with reps depending on how it felt. No. Not here. Once my legs stop cramping, probably this weekend I’m going low weight high rep until they stop. Kinda silly knowing you can lift so much more but one muscle gives and you’re screwed.

5. Curls 120x5x3-used hips. I don’t ever wanna C&J again, I hate that lift. Even if it’s prolly the best one for golf. I’m combining the two from here out. I’ll do the reps as a curl until I can’t and then it’s hip centric. Last set to fail right at 10.

6. 2 minutes by 2 rounds-heavy grappling. I started top mount closed guard and had him put me into a Kimora. Learned an hour ago. I struck my right hand to his right side initially saying “this is how you look for an opening, there’ll be not enough to knock you out behind it” (I showed him first session how to take the power out of every punch when in full guard). He grabbed my right wrist with his left arm. I promptly put him into one and showed him why you have to THINK. Top mount he did better. He started sliding off the wrong side and didn’t have it sunk deep enough at first, but not bad. I’ll lock that in next session and then I’ll teach something else.

My enthusiastic 9 y/o will be here shortly. Two lessons, one night. One tired dude here in an hour.

But imma do it for the child, he’s loved it so far.

Good exercise and diet the last few days.. trying to stay on this train for quite a while

Third weight day today. Shoulders, back, and biceps. Did either extra reps at the same weight/resistance or added ten lbs. and did extra reps on everything. Had done the same thing on leg day, yesterday; and chest, triceps, and core day Tuesday. Boy, am I ever stiff and sore :D

Adding a cardio day back into the weekly mix tomorrow. Will start out with what I call Low-Intensity Interval Training. It's like HIIT, except not so high ;). I'll start by keeping my MHR down to about 140 BPM and add about 5 BPM to the high intervals each week until I find my maximum heart rate. (I'm going to guess it'll be somewhere around 160 BPM or so, based on my historical MHR and age. My MHR has always been about 10 BPM over the 220 - age estimate. And, indeed, it was about 162 two years ago.)

How? Food & drink are so good & easy, my couch truly loves me, tv let's me escape , I salute all who can Squash the demon

Baseball season! That means 10 push-ups for every run my favorite team scores. Spring Training, so starting out with 5 per run this week and adding on until the regular season.

I’m still meeting all of my Apple Watch goals and have been able to keep off the 30+ pounds that I lost on the Keto diet over a year ago.

The golf is helping me stay active even if it is not helping my wallet.

Great to see so many in here, getting active and working towards individual goals in 2021! Keep it up everyone!

How? Food & drink are so good & easy, my couch truly loves me, tv let's me escape , I salute all who can Squash the demon
I lift so I can eat. haha. I've been waking up at 4:50 3 times a week to workout before work, so I can get home on time to spend time with the kids, and then decompress on the couch with my wife. We will literally turn on the news which we record and not talk to each other. Having a babbling 2.5 year old will do that to you.

Kinda sorta ok day today?

Squats 340X5x3 - this ties a 5x3 PR. Going to throw in light squat day next week.
Overhead Press - 127.5x4,2,3,3,3 - Combo of reaching the end of easy gains and squats absolutely killing me, but I got all 15 reps in.
Deadlift - Negative Ghost Rider. Between fatigue from the above, and running long on the workout, I took the day off from pulling. My plan moving forward before I go to a 4 day split will be to deadlift heavy on light squat day. Clean on Monday, TBD on Friday.

Last squat set. Need to keep my chest up on that last rep a little better. Ooof

I’ve been MIA in this thread. I decided there weren’t enough hours in the day and I had to move my p90x3 workouts to the morning 🤢 (not a morning person). Well day one is in the books and I’m ready for a nap.

Routine is back 4 days of run and biking... Loving the way I'm feeling already

Finished up a 10 miler this morning. Now off to Savannah!!!

Kinda sorta ok day today?

Squats 340X5x3 - this ties a 5x3 PR. Going to throw in light squat day next week.
Overhead Press - 127.5x4,2,3,3,3 - Combo of reaching the end of easy gains and squats absolutely killing me, but I got all 15 reps in.
Deadlift - Negative Ghost Rider. Between fatigue from the above, and running long on the workout, I took the day off from pulling. My plan moving forward before I go to a 4 day split will be to deadlift heavy on light squat day. Clean on Monday, TBD on Friday.

Last squat set. Need to keep my chest up on that last rep a little better. Ooof

Squats were Friedrich Nietzsche deep. You could probably do just fine by shaving a little off of depth.

Light pulls like chin ups, rows, RDLs or even just deadlifts at 75% work well.

I’m down 80# from my heaviest. I’m still not happy with the way I look and have kind of stalled. So I started working out. I never half ass anything so of course that was a 2 hour all-in workout every other day for me. Been a little sore, lol. Broke two knuckles first session too, I tend to go animal style when I go at something. I had just bought a heavy bag. I now wear gloves, 😂.

You just have to look at it as a lifestyle change. I now eat to live versus live to eat. Most days I have 1 meal. I only eat when I’m hungry, then I try for something filling in the 600 calorie range. Some days I eat twice. Some days I f it all up. I don’t get down on myself, I just do better the next day. I burn an average (before working out, and each one of those is close to a 2k burn, ) about 2800 calories a day on average.

I honestly didn’t care. I loved food. I loved drink. I didn’t care what I looked like. Had a couple scares that showed me how fleeting time here could be. Decided I should care, I want to at least see my kids as adults with families. I started kind of late so made the command decision to lose 25# in 2020 and 25# in 2021. Lost it all and more in 2020. Found out I don’t carry 220 like I did when I was 22 so now am working on fitness and pushing diet even harder.

I’m also a 42 y/o now bachelor that enjoys the company of women. So there’s that motivation too.

Squats were Friedrich Nietzsche deep. You could probably do just fine by shaving a little off of depth.

Light pulls like chin ups, rows, RDLs or even just deadlifts at 75% work well.
Stance looked a touch wide? I brought it in and that was helping me keep tight and not as deep I felt. Just let it creep out on this set.

Stance looked a touch wide? I brought it in and that was helping me keep tight and not as deep I felt. Just let it creep out on this set.
A touch. But that can vary from set to set. Just focus on the depth for now.

A touch. But that can vary from set to set. Just focus on the depth for now.
OK. You know how it is, once you step out and establish your stance with that much on your back, there's nothing that is going to let you move your feet again haha.

OK. You know how it is, once you step out and establish your stance with that much on your back, there's nothing that is going to let you move your feet again haha.
Fully aware man.

I lift so I can eat. haha.
There was a guy at the gym to which I belonged... forty years ago? I used to see regularly. He was a runnin' fool. Even in the snow and slush in wintertime. Commented on it, once. "I run so I can eat what I want," he replied :)

I work out so I can live life well. So I can bend over and tie my shoelaces. So I can carry heavy stuff from Point A to Point B w/o risk of injury. So I can live a little longer--or at least live the years I have left more mobile and pain-free. So I don't have a medicine cabinet the stock of which rivals a small pharmacy. Lately, so I can improve my golf game. And, yes: Because I like looking good.

I’m down 80# from my heaviest. I’m still not happy with the way I look and have kind of stalled.
I'm still down 30 lbs. from my heaviest, about thirty years ago, but I'm up seventeen from my lowest, about fifteen years ago. I'm seeking to drop about ten.

I’m also a 42 y/o now bachelor that enjoys the company of women. So there’s that motivation too.
That can definitely be a motivator. Hell, I'm 70 years old and happily married. So I'm definitely not in the market. I still don't mind the admiring glance from a lady, of any age, when I'm in shape :ROFLMAO:

Annnnd... that wraps up this week.

Gotta tell y'all: Intervals, even not-very-high-intensity intervals, were a bit >< of a challenge after nearly a year of no cardio at all--particularly after pushing up the effort on weight training the previous three days :) But I got 'er done.

Annnnd... that wraps up this week.

Gotta tell y'all: Intervals, even not-very-high-intensity intervals, were a bit >< of a challenge after nearly a year of no cardio at all--particularly after pushing up the effort on weight training the previous three days :) But I got 'er done.

I’m on week one, but I’m an all in guy. I’ve got over 5 hours in between the heavy bag, weights, and grappling. Two broken knuckles to show for it and a lot of bruises. Had one arm get all puffy for a few days, let the kid take a joint lock JUST past where I should have.

Advil and going hard at it for 2 hours tomorrow too. I am one sore dude but I’ve stalled in the weight loss and I’m fine with my weight, just need to redistribute where it’s at a little.

Taking a THP 5 minute breather here. Middle of a 2 hour weight/striking/grappling workout. Little fella can’t spot me.

Trying to find someone to spot me is a challenge. I’m at home, lol. Kids. Put down the Xbox and get down here and learn sumpin.

Oomph. Now I’m showering and club testing, lol. I will discard the results unless sumpin works.

Back to back days of morning p90x3. I think this is a sustainable habit!

Back to back days of morning p90x3. I think this is a sustainable habit!

I have to go to exhuastion in 30 seconds because I run out of lungs. I only have 50% capacity after my accident.

Nice thing with this is I kick and punch the hell out of a heavy bag for 30 seconds then I suck eggs. Heart rate well above target the entire time.

Grapple and show my kids stuff that’ll help them if they need it. None of them are aggressive so it’s a “save your ass” type thing.

The good. Burned about 4500 calories today. I tend to go all animal whenever I do anything. 2 hours working out, I burn about 1k calories an hour according to heart rate and chart. I’d guess a little more because.... I spend as much of a workout as I can just going balls out. An hour on a Sim and just normal walking the dog type stuff, 4500 was what’s shown for the day according to my fitness doohickey.

The bad. I ate 3k calories today. Still a net gain but not needed. If I kept that at 1k I’d have lost a pound once the water weight catches up. Damnit. Missed opportunity.

Good week again. Makes about 6 in a row. Seeing results and feeling better. Onward and upward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back