2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunch of bench press singles tonight, 350 for 5 singles. The first rep moved a lot of faster than I thought. So, that's nice. Close grip bench presses and a wide grip lat pulldown myo-rep finished my training.

Bunch of bench press singles tonight, 350 for 5 singles. The first rep moved a lot of faster than I thought. So, that's nice. Close grip bench presses and a wide grip lat pulldown myo-rep finished my training.

Man, again that sounds tough and I understand a little, lol.

My light workout turned heavier once I found a willing spotter, lol.

Leg is still not 100% so no squats. I was able to get 45 minutes cardio on the heavy bag and heavy grappling. As an aging guy I’m actually really digging BJJ. I understood it and knew enough to get by when I was younger. I wanted to Chuck Liddell everyone, every fight. I still like that style. I have three things I’ve always been good at in that style, keeping my opponents weight back, keeping my head hard to hit by switching levels, and keeping an opponent from getting an angle. Oh maybe 4, sensing an opening.

With BJJ I dare them to take an angle. It’s almost a chess game and I enjoy it a lot. I’m more comfortable from full guard. I hit a beautiful reverse arm bar tonight. Left inside grasp on right wrist pushing out and flattening him. Right hip out, right fist thrust to clear room, and right leg over their back. Left under their chin into a lock, ankle to knee. You are now on your stomach and their right arm is 100% yours.

So that was the cardio, lol.

Weights.

Bench-195# x3 x3 (last set to fail at 4, coulda racked at 5 but didn’t get it locked). Pretty confident I can one lift my weight again at 220 or so. No legs.

Overhead press (I am weak here, 100x5x3)

Real curls, no hips 85x10x3. Last set with hips, to I lost count but I lost lungs before ability-24ish?)

Hands together bench 100x15x2 just to kind of calm down some. Ended each set wrist curling (ish) 15-20 over the rack until I couldn’t do it anymore and it fell.

Bent over rows (standing-first time I’ve tried this one) 100x10x3

Some shrugs and things like that as I was gassing but too stubborn to admit it.

Positives. I’ve burned about 9000 calories the past two days and took in about 2500. Should be about a two pound difference, give or take. The bad, I have to drink tons of water and my body doesn’t always clear it well so I’m 14# heavier than 10 days ago. I feel better but it’s frustrating to work hard, win the calorie battle like a champ, but have to wait weeks for it to show. Plus bulk. I’m happy at 220ish, as long as it’s distributed right. Some work to do one way or another.

Tired. Tomorrow off, going crazy Thursday night at least on the cardio/grappling.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Light squats today 295x5x3 - felt a little heavy, but maybe that was just me waking up.
Bench press 190x5x3 - second and third sets were strong.
Deadlift - 405x5 PR Clean(ish) Plate Club! Somehow this felt easier than 400? Moving to one deadlift day a week likely helping with recovery.

Great day yesterday. Upping the weight as I work through my 2nd 6 week full body dumbbell program. Arm day yesterday, and I can feel that I upped the weight, but in a good way.

Now, to get back into increasing my flexibility. Last round out and I could tell I wasn't were I was last year. Going to try to increase my yoga. Right now it's maybe once a week, but want to get up to 3 days a week, basically on my off days from dumbbells.

Great day yesterday. Upping the weight as I work through my 2nd 6 week full body dumbbell program. Arm day yesterday, and I can feel that I upped the weight, but in a good way.

Now, to get back into increasing my flexibility. Last round out and I could tell I wasn't were I was last year. Going to try to increase my yoga. Right now it's maybe once a week, but want to get up to 3 days a week, basically on my off days from dumbbells.

That’s kinda my fear with bulking up. My body seems to respond like it always has so if I keep it up I’ll be there soon. But I lose flexibility. I’m not doing yoga, even if doing it by myself, lol.

Is there any other stretching exercise system that can be combined with a cardio workout that I won’t feel so weird doing. No offense @gkeller813 , I went to one yoga class way back when with my now ex and felt like the weirdest thing and place ever? I know I could and would do it from home but I’d rather make it a cardio workout if I’m going to do it. I think BJJ makes you fairly flexible just by practicing it, but wouldn’t mind a light 30 minute cardio that focuses on stretching on my off day.

Pulling night tonight. Deadlifts were 495 for 3 sets of 5 reps. Doable, but not fun. Some paused Romanian deadlifts. Then some neutral grip chins.

Pulling night tonight. Deadlifts were 495 for 3 sets of 5 reps. Doable, but not fun. Some paused Romanian deadlifts. Then some neutral grip chins.
Looked good on the IG fwiw!

Looked good on the IG fwiw!
Thank you. I bought a deadlift bar because it was cheap, I like it for singles but not for multi rep sets. The bar is thinner and bounces in my hand more. Makes the hook grip hurt really bad.

6.7 miles in this morning before the sun came up.

Really quite neutral day today.

Squats 360x5x3 keeping the PR squat train moving. Didn't film, but depth was less Nietzsche deep.
Overhead press blah. 135x3,3,1... 125x1,3,4 135 is again the most I've pressed, just went downhill fast. Likely a combination of not enough rest, not enough recovery, not enough volume, and heavy squats affecting the rest of my excercises. I am going to try a little deload before I move to a 4 day split or other programming.
Barbell rows 140x8x3.
Needless to say, my arms and upper back are feeling it this morning :ROFLMAO:

Is there any other stretching exercise system that can be combined with a cardio workout that I won’t feel so weird doing. No offense @gkeller813 , I went to one yoga class way back when with my now ex and felt like the weirdest thing and place ever? I know I could and would do it from home but I’d rather make it a cardio workout if I’m going to do it. I think BJJ makes you fairly flexible just by practicing it, but wouldn’t mind a light 30 minute cardio that focuses on stretching on my off day.

Not cardio but there are some golf-specific stretching routines (Don Saladino - Real Time Flexibility) -seems like you need GolfPass to see his stuff now

or Roger Fredericks has yoga based flexibility training program

Man, I spoke the language a long time ago.

I think I 50% know what you did 75%?

I went at it, different the past two nights. Legs are still out. I may have seriously jacked the right knee. Will give it another week or two, I don’t heal like 18.

No spotter, bench 150xtiredx3. When I wasn’t 100% I could get the next one I stopped.

There is a strength coach’s hope I’ll throw out here, I did them 5seconds down and 5 seconds up. So there’s that. Tonight I dropped weight and tried to to do 10 rep burnouts at 10 seconds down, 10 up, again, largely successful. I won’t mention the weak weight as if you know I’m doing 10 seconds up and down and doing it right it ain’t much.

Nothing I can’t rack with a “pop” but a challenge.

Not cardio but there are some golf-specific stretching routines (Don Saladino - Real Time Flexibility) -seems like you need GolfPass to see his stuff now

or Roger Fredericks has yoga based flexibility training program

Thank you sir, I’ll check it out later when I hit WiFi.

It appears that all the lifting, rowing & intermittent fasting might also be paying dividends for my golf game. At least with the driver. Only played 9 yesterday, and in 40* weather with 20+ mph winds, but there were 3 times I hit a drive as far as I've ever hit it on that particular hole. With very little rollout since the fairways were pretty soggy still.

And the effort level seemed better too. Never felt like I was trying to kill it.
It felt nice to outdrive my partner by 40 yards.

8 month old is teething. She was up a bit last night, and that got in the way of sleep and my morning workout. Was able to get in the workout this evening.

Squat 365x5x3
This killed me. The bad sleep was evident. I almost lost it on the last rep of set 1. 9 to 10 minutes rest between sets and I am spent. Laid on the floor for a while after that last set to gather myself.

Feeling a bit of a strain in my right addictions about as high as you can get and still be on the leg. Felt it a bit warming up, but not at work set weight. Feel it when I adduct that leg. We will see what happens with that.

Sets all on video today. Stay for the near crash. Depth looked better today.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

Squat 365x5x3
This killed me. The bad sleep was evident. I almost lost it on the last rep of set 1. 9 to 10 minutes rest between sets and I am spent. Laid on the floor for a while after that last set to gather myself.
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) Time to work in
┳┻|⊂ノ a light day
┻┳|

Squats tonight were the first squats in a long time that I was able to carry the bar how I like and my legs didn't feel like the muscle was tearing off the bone. That's a plus.
385x6; 410x5; 435x2
I had more gas in every set, so I will keep that mind next week.

I did some deficit deadlifts after and focused on speed. Overall, good training.

I'm back in a good routine with both eating and exercise. I'm down a couple pounds in the last week

Time to work in
a light day

Light days started 2 weeks ago on Wednesday. I blame last night on poor sleep with the baby the last two nights.

We'll see how the adductor feels. I think it might ye olde mystery tendinopathy, not a muscle belly injury. It isn't painful when I sit, but getting up and walking around I can feel it a bit before it loosens up. Definitely something I want to be dealing with now that golf season is starting up </sarcasm>

90 pounder pressers for lunch!

ACB8DA94-2648-4126-9BFC-3CDC85990945.jpeg

Entering my 5th month of training. Having gone from pretty much no excercise for the last 15 years, I now have a good routine going. I still do all my stuff through peloton. 40 minutes of spinning a day 6 days a week and 20 minutes of strength training 3 times a week. I’m currently on an 18 week streak, and today completed my 200 work out. Haven’t really lost any weight, as I still haven’t changed my diet (and in all honesty, never will). But I’m having to buy new clothes a size smaller, my resting heart rate has settled in the late 50’s, and best of all, I’m now seeing my blood pressure drop too. It’s gone from normal high to normal. The great thing is, even when I feel a bit crappy and it would be easy to give the bike a miss, I’m still jumping on it and completing a workout. If I could just force myself to give up carbs and actually start eating vegetables, I might actually be able to completely lose the dad bod LOL.

8 month old is teething. She was up a bit last night, and that got in the way of sleep and my morning workout. Was able to get in the workout this evening.

Squat 365x5x3

Feeling a bit of a strain in my right addictions about as high as you can get and still be on the leg. Felt it a bit warming up, but not at work set weight. Feel it when I adduct that leg. We will see what happens with that.

Sets all on video today. Stay for the near crash. Depth looked better today.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3

very nice!

Staying strong with the diet and exercise and getting better sleep

Continuing my dumbbell routine, but need to be more diligent with yoga. Felt the benefits last year, but have been slacking.

Better day working out.

Light squats 295x5x3 - Felt it a bit in that right adductor. Not really painful, more like uncomfortable. It was feeling a whole lot better when I woke up.
Bench press 192.5x5x3 - Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.
Deadlift 410x5 - done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back