2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was my light bench presses. Then some close grip bench presses. Lighter overhead presses. Finished with wide neutral grip lat pulldowns.

Yay training.

Oh and I did 3 sets of 10 Copenhagen hip adductor exercises for the adductor. Seems the research is generally positive on this type of exercise for adductor issues. Doesn't take long to do at the end of training.

Oh and I did 3 sets of 10 Copenhagen hip adductor exercises for the adductor. Seems the research is generally positive on this type of exercise for adductor issues. Doesn't take long to do at the end of training.
All isolated hip adduction exercises are "good girls." All isolated hip abduction exercises are "bad girls."

I’ve got 19 weeks in a row on the Tonal!

Get stronger to make the ball go farther.

I was doing really well in 2019 but due to unfortunate family events early in 2020 I put on all the weight I lost in 2019 and then some. Tapping into the peloton programs to get started has been a ton of help and motivation due to the fact I don't like breathing that heavy and feeling that out of shape. That paired with some meditation and Yoga that I have started trying out to get my mind right has been a good little start for 2021.

Went back to Jiu Jitsu on Monday. One of the guys I met knows my wife as she goes to his Pilates gym and knew who I was. He offered me to do a private cycling class and pilates class to help me get back into jiu jitsu shape. I am hurting. Going back to Jiu Jitsu tonight but it is going to be tough. Going to add those 4 days 2 of each to my routine. Honestly doing this to help my golf get better which is all I care about. I think me losing weight and gaining my flexibility back is really going to help my golf. Been losing weight slowly with changes to diet and walking. But this is going to be a game changer if I keep my diet clean which I will.

I know I will get some more distance being stronger and more flexible. Not sure I can fix my short game but I feel good after two day and going to keep on this.

Last edited:
Went back to Jiu Jitsu on Monday. One of the guys I met knows my wife as she goes to his Pilates gym and knew who I was. He offered me to do a private cycling class and pilates class to help me get back into jiu jitsu shape. I am hurting. Going back to Jiu Jitsu tonight but it is going to be tough. Going to add those 4 days 2 of each to my routine. Honestly doing this to help my golf get better which is all I care about. I think me losing weight and gaining my flexibility back is really going to help my golf. Been losing weight slowly with changes to diet and walking. But this is going to be a game changer if I keep my diet clean which I will.

I know I will get some more distance being stronger and more flexible. Not sure I can fix my short game but I feel good after two day and going to keep on this.

I’ve been relearning BJJ the past couple months and committing to fitness. I’m down about 65 pounds in the past 11 months and 85 overall.

I find the beauty behind the sport soothing. I can get into the mental place pretty easy where you know you’re going to get beat a bit but your only goal is to isolate a joint and attack it. You stop serious injury to yourself but outside of that, you wait, and wait, and then you see the opening due to posture, sweep, etc.

3 seconds. That is a BJJ match ending. Choke. 3 seconds. Kimora? 3 seconds. Arm bar? 1 if you’re being nice. I’ve been teaching my kids this more violent but less likely to get them expelled from school style. So far it’s been a blast. Combining all forms of MMA (I was a grappler/striker but learned BJJ even though I ultimately just wanted to strike and sprawl).

Enter now. I’ve lost the weight, now it’s time to get it into shape. I like BJJ WAY more now than I used to and it’s amazing how much you retain when you think about it. I’ve been teaching the kids a joint lock a week for a month or two now. It’s amazing how much they retain when they want to and how dumb of a move they’ll make when they don’t. My oldest from top full guard kept reaching across his body to secure my arm when he was stressed.

I was as nice as long as I could and finally showed him why he shouldn’t do that.

Point if I have one, if you look at it as primary, there is a lot that can be learned. I watch a 5 minute video on a move I knew/kinda know. I go down and practice it and all versions of it solo for an hour, and I’m ready to teach it again.

If ever OH way (don’t know but assume NE’ish) lemme know. I’ve got a mats set up and maybe we could teach each other a thing or two.

After puting it off as long as I can, I am now set to work out. About to glove up for a bit. 30 minutes on heavy bag. 30 minutes practicing BJJ and 30 minutes no spot weights (won’t be stupid, I am still weak and know it). Oof.

Damn basements cold. Better get moving.

Built a garage gym during the pandemic, got my clean & jerk to 100 kilos and my snatch to ~75 kilos. Still working them gains.

Didn’t quite make it. Lot harder workout with no one spelling you. Spent 30 minutes heavy bag, 15 minutes BJJ rehearsal (damnit I was winded-but very good for focus-you have one joint you’re attacking, you may get the very loving snot kicked out of you getting that joint in a lock, but locked, it’s over), and 20-25 doing everything but lifting something I may need racked. Doesn’t mean I didn’t push myself.

I’ve already seen some gains on the course and I don’t know if simply strength training would do it. BJJ is great for the hips. I hit the ball off the tee better and longer than I did all of last year. It was one round but I’m down 50# since I swung on course prior to Sunday. I’m also significantly stronger. By rolling BJJ I think it keeps you loose enough that strength gains will do nothing but help. When I’d hulk out too fast in the past I lost flexibility.

I don’t feel stiff with my swing like I would then. I like this workout for golf. The heavy bag impact probably isn’t the greatest but if you properly work it you’re keeping it back while setting up a KO. No real stressors. Just tape your KO wrist.

Built a garage gym during the pandemic, got my clean & jerk to 100 kilos and my snatch to ~75 kilos. Still working them gains.

Damn man, I felt my taint tearing on those.

Reminder-stretch well.

Nice work 👊

I know there is a lot of pages devoted to this, I am curious are there any training programs you follow to build golf strength and flexibility/mobility. About to start using a golf app (18STRONG) but am curious if anyone had any other specific programs they have used to and found successful.

thanks!

I know there is a lot of pages devoted to this, I am curious are there any training programs you follow to build golf strength and flexibility/mobility. About to start using a golf app (18STRONG) but am curious if anyone had any other specific programs they have used to and found successful.

thanks!
TBH - I take a lot of Golf Exercises from IG. I tag the ones I think will help me and I replay them in the gym for a refresher. As an example:

thanks!
I don't believe there is "golf strong." There is just strong. Lift with a full range of motion and you won't lose any mobility. I am firmly in the camp that the more that strength training looks like specific skill practice, the less effective both training and practice become.

thanks!
I have been doing the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression. This program will develop full body strength, which transfers to golf and to any other activity very well.

I don't know enough about 18STRONG to say for sure, but just looking at their website, it looks like a lot of supersets with lighter weights, their FAQ lists dumbbells up to about 40 lbs as required equipment.

Basically, you can do just about anything and you'll get stronger. I chose the program I am on because it has the potential to work for a very long time. I have increased my strength over the last 4 months by doing 5 relatively simple compound movements using barbells.

I am with @blugold in the belief that you should just get strong. And then practice golf with your newfound strength.

That’s probably what I should have said. Thanks! I just want a program that will give me strength and mobility/flexibility that will translate to being able to enjoy other sports as well without limitations. Thanks for the feedback!!

I’m going to try to gain 15# and do workouts specifically to get my swing speed up.

I’m going to try to gain 15# and do workouts specifically to get my swing speed up.

You can take my last 15.

I’ll even gift you 5mph of CHS.

🤣

Friday woo!
Baby was up at 3... my wife got her to sleep a little after 4. When the alarm went of at 4:50, I though about skipping this morning and working out this evening, but I have plans for some beer curls haha.
Squats 370x5, 350x5x2. Decided today was a good day to throw in some back off sets. 370 was pretty strong though. Felt nice and tight, and the adductor wasn't too bothersome. 5 rep PR
Overhead press 120x5x3. Good with the deload.
Barbell rows 145x8x3. Feeling a little fatigue in my lats after that.
Copenhagen adductor exercise 10x3. My adductor is feeling a little tight and sore, but not really painful, and I don't feel it while walking. Maybe it was a some major DOMS? Either way, I'm glad to have kept progressing this week through a little discomfort.

Maybe 9 holes of golf with the 2.5 year old joining me in the cart this afternoon! Got to test those new clubs!

Hit a milestone weight today - Down 24lbs. for the year.
Really got a great workout routine going. Joined my health club after my 60 day trial.

I will hit my weight goal this year, I'm too old to keep doing the Diet Yo-Yo!

Friday woo!
Baby was up at 3... my wife got her to sleep a little after 4. When the alarm went of at 4:50, I though about skipping this morning and working out this evening, but I have plans for some beer curls haha.
Squats 370x5, 350x5x2. Decided today was a good day to throw in some back off sets. 370 was pretty strong though. Felt nice and tight, and the adductor wasn't too bothersome. 5 rep PR
Overhead press 120x5x3. Good with the deload.
Barbell rows 145x8x3. Feeling a little fatigue in my lats after that.
Copenhagen adductor exercise 10x3. My adductor is feeling a little tight and sore, but not really painful, and I don't feel it while walking. Maybe it was a some major DOMS? Either way, I'm glad to have kept progressing this week through a little discomfort.

Maybe 9 holes of golf with the 2.5 year old joining me in the cart this afternoon! Got to test those new clubs!
Hope you can get out on the course today! Just don't get blown away!

Yay Friday training. Presses were 170x7, 185x5 (ez), 195x3 (had a few left on the tank). Then 2ct paused bench presses 245, 4x6. Finished with some barbell rows 245, 3x8.

Time to go socialize.

Last edited:
I never heard of Copenhagen adductor exercise so I googled it. I have been fighting soreness & general weakness in this area so I figured "I can try that!"
Right foot on chair: Right groin strained through 6 reps - painful. Left foot on chair: couldn't do one. And when I stood up I realized I'd done some serious damage - Hurts like hell right now:mad:

I'm not blaming you Alek😉 - just chalking it up to being an old man lol!

I'll have to work these in slowwwly and gradually. I can see where they should be a big help overall. The only good thing is - it doesn't hurt to walk around & do normal activities. I haven't tried golfing yet (praying I can do that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back