2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night was arms, which is usually a nice relaxing workout. Found a decent looking bicep video, sure that looks fun. Noooope. Wasn’t anything super hard, but man.. arms were not feeling cooperation.

Haven’t checked in in a bit here. Highest weight ever was either 296 or 298? I can’t remember except thinking, “dude do something or you’ll be a 300# guy next doc visit. No thanks, not for me. I hated being fat and slow but it was easy? 🤣

Eat and drink what I want when I want? Sure. Easy!

I’m hovering in the 185-192# range (I drink a LOT of water so it depends on when I weigh). Body fat is down well into the single digits. BMI is still too high since I’m 5’11”, but if it’s not fat? Who cares?

I haven’t been able to lift weights for 7 weeks due to a broken elbow but have still been working my grip strength by doing fingertip push-ups, and regular ones for overall. I was told I could do anything like that that didn’t involve external weight and didn’t hurt, a couple weeks ago.

My goal was to put up 500# at under 220# before 44 years old. I’ve lost too much weight now and am going to miss at least most of a 3rd cycle. I was on pace but I’ll never make it now.

410# at 180 is the same % wise. New goal. Maxed 465 at about 225 6 months or so ago. Lost some weight and next max was about 430 at 210.

Missing several cycles, and changing my entire outlook on bulk muscle just for the heck of it, new goal is 410# at 180# or less. I’m not short armed so benching isn’t super easy for me. I also have to train legs up so it’s hard to judge what to go for come max day. I can max with feet down but was told not to workout that way post accident.

TLDR: easily over 100# down since 2020. New way of life. Once I totally find it I’ll share with y’all.

Off the bus again.. need to get back on

Off the bus again.. need to get back on
I hopped back on this weekend. Gave myself a schedule so I can follow something specific, and not just "do something."

Good little session this afternoon.
Worked up to a 215lb press. Did dynamic effort bench presses. Dips, 3xFailure. Lat pulldowns, 1 set to failure, -20%xFailure.

I've been dabbling with conjugate style programming lately. It's fun.

Years of sitting on my arse doing nothing, last December I finally decided to do something about it. Today, I banged out my 400th ride on peloton (still no bloody shout from the instructor LOL). Looking back through my stats, I can see the improvements. A 30 minute class when I started I’d get a about 250 KJ’s of work done. Now it’s around 330. I was hoping to get down to about 200 lbs, but I just can’t diet. I managed to lose 30lbs through excercise alone, but I’ve plateaued at 225. If I want to lose more, I need to start a calorie deficit, and I just don’t have the willpower. Still amazes me how I’ve gone from couch potato to fitness fanatic. It just shows, you just have to find that one activity that really grabs you and keeps you coming back for more.

My big issue is finding time to workout. I can bang out a 30 minute bowflex bike ride fairly easily, but my golf workout is about an hour and sometimes I ride the Bowflex prior to it. Often when I come home from work I'm either too tired or running late and have to start dinner prep. I tried waking up an hour early and working out but I was way way too groggy in the morning. I've tried to figure out the proper eating plan and caffeine consumption during the day to give me the energy in the 3-6pm window for working out.

Years of sitting on my arse doing nothing, last December I finally decided to do something about it. Today, I banged out my 400th ride on peloton (still no bloody shout from the instructor LOL). Looking back through my stats, I can see the improvements. A 30 minute class when I started I’d get a about 250 KJ’s of work done. Now it’s around 330. I was hoping to get down to about 200 lbs, but I just can’t diet. I managed to lose 30lbs through excercise alone, but I’ve plateaued at 225. If I want to lose more, I need to start a calorie deficit, and I just don’t have the willpower. Still amazes me how I’ve gone from couch potato to fitness fanatic. It just shows, you just have to find that one activity that really grabs you and keeps you coming back for more.

Similar story, I workout different, but yeah to get down further you’ll have to make lifestyle changes regarding food.

I will share, I stepped on the scale this morning and for the first time, I weigh less than I did when I graduated HS. I turn 43 next month and spent most of my adult life around 100# overweight.

Like you I went all in on the fitness, and it took several months that were HARD, but lifestyle changes regarding food and drink too that now are just part of my life and no biggie. But it stinks for a while and you HAVE to commit to it. I’ve half committed over the years. No, this time I just entirely changed how I thought about food. Be happy to share more or answer any questions if you have any, feel free to PM me.

Similar story, I workout different, but yeah to get down further you’ll have to make lifestyle changes regarding food.

I will share, I stepped on the scale this morning and for the first time, I weigh less than I did when I graduated HS. I turn 43 next month and spent most of my adult life around 100# overweight.

Like you I went all in on the fitness, and it took several months that were HARD, but lifestyle changes regarding food and drink too that now are just part of my life and no biggie. But it stinks for a while and you HAVE to commit to it. I’ve half committed over the years. No, this time I just entirely changed how I thought about food. Be happy to share more or answer any questions if you have any, feel free to PM me.

The big issue I have is I don’t like too many vegetables. I have pretty much cut out fast food, and I eat more salads. I try to snack better too so I have made changes. But going into a decent calorie deficit, I just can’t see happening.

So many squats tonight. I used a Yoke Safety Squat bar. Was hard. Worked to a top single. Then took 15% off and did 3x2. Then took another 5% off and did a set of 8. Then took 10% off and did a set of 10.

Finished with stuff leg deadlifts. 4 sets of 3. Good stuff all in all.

A good week. Got 3 dumbbell/body weight work outs in. 3 nights of yoga for flexibility. Rode around 5 miles, and ran 2, and walked 9 holes. Most activity in a week in a while for me, and it felt great. Looking forward to continued progress.

Been Walking 3 miles a day after work while the weather is still good and the sun is still up.
Set a personal best on my iPhone Cardio Fitness yesterday, 33.8 VO2 Max. (The maximum amount of oxygen you can use during an exercise. The higher the level, the better shape you are in). August 19th, I was 32.5

Started strong this morning. Vacation is over, time to grind!!

Today was Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

3 x 8 Barbell Bench - RPE 8
3 x 8 Barbell Shoulder Press - RPE 7
3 x 12 Barbell Incline Bench - RPE 6
4 x 12 Reverse Pec Dec / 4 x 12 Tricep Rope Push-Down Superset
4 x 12 EZ-Bar Skull Crushers

Finished up with 30 minutes of LISS Cardio

Once again, I've done a whole lot of talking about diet and exercise, but not much more. Yesterday, my wife dropped $3k to start a 50-day HCG diet. 50 days of 500-calories/per day is going to be tough. I'm going to essentially eat the same things she does, but aim for 1000-calories per day, and finally hit the gym 5 times per week.

It's do-or-die at this point... Along with improvements in health, I hope I'll see some improvements in my golf game as well!

Once again, I've done a whole lot of talking about diet and exercise, but not much more. Yesterday, my wife dropped $3k to start a 50-day HCG diet. 50 days of 500-calories/per day is going to be tough. I'm going to essentially eat the same things she does, but aim for 1000-calories per day, and finally hit the gym 5 times per week.

It's do-or-die at this point... Along with improvements in health, I hope I'll see some improvements in my golf game as well!
No better time than the present! Goodluck, can't wait to hear about your progress!

Oof. Nice!

Be careful, 1000 calories is DANGEROUSLY low, especially for an adult male.

I am not a doctor, but hope you have consulted one before doing something this drastic.

Someone's getting fancy with RPE.

I was bored! Haha actually pretty interesting stuff when you look into it, at least for me.
Oh for sure.

Eventually, every person needs to autoregulate training. There are different ways to do it and RPE is a good one to use.

That’s the mindset it takes! In a couple months your body will adjust, but it’s gonna be a beast of a couple months! I’m about 18 months in. Most days when I was actively cutting I would have 400-800 calories. I’d often skip a day or days just because I wasn’t hungry, I’ve actually had to try to put a skid to it, but it’s hard to eat much when your no longer used to it.

I now eat when I’m hungry or being social. I try to get 1500-2000 a day in now, but most days it’s a struggle without adding sugar drinks, etc. which aren’t the calories I want anyways. I’m still losing but slowly now. I don’t want to lose more.

Oh and for the payoff to the golf game, I’m sure it will in the long run. But you may find yourself standing over the ball very uncomfortably, especially as you are actively shedding weight. I found myself 120# down and barely able to make contact sometimes. Wasn’t what I expected there, but my belly is no longer there to assist? Stadler style, 😂.

Back and Biceps today:

4 x 8 Barbell Row
4 x 12 Lat Pull-down
4 x 15 Seated Cable Row
3 x 10 Incline Dumbbell Curl
3 x 12 EZ-Bar Curl
3 x 8 Chin-Ups

Finished up with 30 minutes of LISS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back