2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve debated on the Tonal... like the look and idea. Much better than “The Mirror”... we love our Peloton. Hitting that each day and mixing in some yoga and strength workouts.

The Tonal is legit. The wife and I are loving it.

in addition to my rowing, to keep my golf swing grooved I have been using the heavy (red exercise ) band with my Tour Striker Planemate and I have been working on the exercise protocols. I am very happy to report it has had positive effects on my golf swing. I usually hit or play golf almost daily during the season, but with the cold weather thst isn’t happening. So I had done the planemate exercise protocolls for the past two-three weeks (only hit balls once since my last round three weeks ago), and finally got to play yesterday and my swing was pretty good, I felt like I was in all the swing positions I had been in over the season and I hit the ball pretty good.

I woke up wanting to walk outside. Looked at the 3* temp and said nope! On the treadmill.

The past few times I have re-started exercising, a little tweak/injury has set me back. Knee, back, whatever. I am easing into it a bit more this time around to prevent a reoccurrence. Need to shed a few pounds through some healthier decisions before pounding the knee and back.

I woke up wanting to walk outside. Looked at the 3* temp and said nope! On the treadmill.
The joy of winter...at least you have that treadmill to fall back on!

Hit the Tonal the last two days. Will get it again today at some point. Let’s go!

Hit up Peloton for 30 min yesterday and worked out chest/back. Today will hit another round of Peloton for 30 min with 30 min of yoga and some abs.

Worked out last night after the kids went to bed. Squats 250, overhead press 105, deadlift 360. Definitely fatiguing my lower back. Bodyweight up to 190 as well.

The past few times I have re-started exercising, a little tweak/injury has set me back.
Last time for me was abs, of all things
shake.gif
Pulled an ab muscle a bit. Took something like six weeks before I could start really working the abs again.

This time, after the nine-month hiatus, I started out real light on everything. So light that knocking out two sets of ten reps each felt trivially easy. I was still stiff and sore as hell for several days. This week, week #3, I'm starting to bump the resistance up to the point I can't quite make twelve reps on the 2nd set relatively easily. I'll do another week like this, then I'll start pushing it more aggressively.

My abs have become very weak. When I left off in February I was doing 45° incline crunches with a 12 or 16 lb. ball. Now I can't even do two sets of crunches with almost no incline and body weight only. *sigh* But, after the mistake last time coming back, I'm taking abs real slow.

I walked 18 yesterday and am slowly removing sugar and carbs from my diet

So has anyone made their way back to a Gym or Fitness Center yet? (Please don't make this political, it's not my point here)
I have a Recumbent Bike that I can ride and I can make some space for stretching however I really like to get some heavier Cardo in.
My park district fitness center is open for 25% capacity, have to where a mask at all times and have to make a reservation.
I've hit balls in the dome for an hour with a mask on and it's not bad, not great however not bad.

Every time I think I'd like to give this a shot, a horror story shows up on the news.

Got a good session of yoga in last night. Feels good the next day, almost always!

I'm in. I have a few goals and courses of action:

• Increased flexibility - need to commit to yoga at least 3 days a week
  • Increased core strength (for balance) - need to commit to crunches/ab work at least 3 days a week
  • Maintain current weight - I'm 6'0", 175lbs, which I'm fine with. I have a pretty good handle on my diet and just need to keep it up.

I'm in. I have a few goals and courses of action:

• Increased flexibility - need to commit to yoga at least 3 days a week
  • Increased core strength (for balance) - need to commit to crunches/ab work at least 3 days a week
  • Maintain current weight - I'm 6'0", 175lbs, which I'm fine with. I have a pretty good handle on my diet and just need to keep it up.
If you do yoga, and work up to power yoga, you can knock out flexibility and core strength in one program.

If you do yoga, and work up to power yoga, you can knock out flexibility and core strength in one program.

My oldest (23, lives with us still, because, 2020) is a massage therapist and has a pretty regular yoga practice of their own. They've offered to help me get going and have echoed your sentiments about flexibility and core strength.

I find that I cannot consistently execute the full swing at 100% capacity due to balance issues, which I attribute to lack of core strength.

My oldest (23, lives with us still, because, 2020) is a massage therapist and has a pretty regular yoga practice of their own. They've offered to help me get going and have echoed your sentiments about flexibility and core strength.

I find that I cannot consistently execute the full swing at 100% capacity due to balance issues, which I attribute to lack of core strength.
Well here's to moving in the direction where you can make a better more consistent swing!

Get back to pre ACL conditions and go from there. Both in fitness and weight. Heaviest I've ever been :oops:

PT ongoing every day with new excercises added exponentially. Hopefully final phase kicks in soon and can address the weight quicker.

Get back to pre ACL conditions and go from there. Both in fitness and weight. Heaviest I've ever been :oops:

PT ongoing every day with new excercises added exponentially. Hopefully final phase kicks in soon and can address the weight quicker.
Good luck. You got this!

Reactions: J4U
So has anyone made their way back to a Gym or Fitness Center yet?
I've been back to my gym since Tuesday, the 14th of this month. I was feeling so crappy, so tired, achy and out-of-sorts, that I finally said "Screw it! This inactivity will kill me surely as SARS-Cov-2" and went back.

I felt better after just the first three workouts, even though they were very light, and even with all the soreness and stiffness. Will be going back today to do shoulders, back, and biceps. Not as sore as I thought I'd be after ramping things up a bit yesterday and the day before, so I may actually throw a cardio day in on New Year's Eve--two weeks ahead of schedule :)

My park district fitness center is open for 25% capacity, have to where a mask at all times and have to make a reservation.
My gym doesn't have any stated limits, but it's hardly necessary. I don't think I've yet seen it more than maybe half as busy as it used to be. My gym does not enforce the mask mandate. I asked them about it. It is their opinion that forcing people to wear masks while working out is as likely, if not more likely, to kill them as would a Covid-19 infection. And they told the state they would not be enforcing that mandate for that very reason.

They do have a rigorous disinfection protocol members are obliged to follow.

Every time I think I'd like to give this a shot, a horror story shows up on the news.
1. Fear is as deadly as any bug. 2. The "news" is not in the business of informing, but to sell advertising space. The more eyes they attract, the more advertising space they sell. Fear and panic attracts eyes.

Could it be you're throwing yourself off-balance by trying to control your follow-through?

Just recently, due to a couple threads discussing the biomechanics of pelvic action in a good swing, the penny finally dropped and I figured it out. My swing is now driven "from the ground up," so to say [*]. An interesting thing has happened. Whereas it used to be I had to consciously force myself to do a full turn, now I just have to let it happen. Now, if I try to stop my turn where it used to stop with the way I was swinging before, I lose my balance and have to step forward with my trailing foot.

My core strength, btw, is way down from normal.

[*] Whether my new swing actually works or not is another question entirely. Haven't been to the range since I figured it out. But, hitting practice balls in the house, it seems like it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back