2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkeller813

#UsGotThis
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Back by popular demand, and my need for more consistancy!!

Some of us have been working on our fitness the last year, and I've found it enjoyable and very motivating, so I wanted to put a place out there where we can discuss our plans for a better, healthier lifestyle heading into 2021. Since I think that there are many factors that can create a healthier lifestyle, I'd like to open this up to changes you are trying to make to get yourself in a better spot health wise. Exercising more, eating better, stressing less, etc. etc. What are you doing? Where do you want to be? Discuss it with us as we continue our journey!

My goals:
1. Get back to exercising every day. I did really good the first 9 months of 2020, but fell off the last 2. I have 3 objectives here:
- 150 Pushups per day
- 20 minutes of yoga (helped me so much with neck and back pain when I was in a regular routine!)
- at least 3 days of cardio per week, at least 30 minutes at a time (something I've wanted to start by haven't)
- work wise get a stand up desk for home so I'm sitting less.
- find time to destress

Jump in with your goals, or just follow along so we can all work together towards a better 2021!

My goals for 2021 for fitness are as follows.

Stretching everyday.
30 Mins of cardio/strength training - I have a home gym that needs more love.

Not much but more then enough for me.

My goals for 2021 for fitness are as follows.

Stretching everyday.
30 Mins of cardio/strength training - I have a home gym that needs more love.

Not much but more then enough for me.
We all have to start somewhere! What do you plan for stretching?

My goal is to be less sporadic that 2020. (n)

We all have to start somewhere! What do you plan for stretching?
My stretching is going to focus on mobility. As I get older I have noticed the I have much less mobility and has become quite the concern from a golf standpoint, but feeling tight and wound up in every other part of life as well. For some reason the more mobility I have the better I feel generally.

2020 was an odd year for fitness. Rather than working out, it seemed like I stayed in shape doing projects around the house. Either way, my goals in 2020 are:
  1. Gain 20 pounds
  2. Stretch daily
  3. Meditate daily
  4. Turn tracking calories into tracking nutrition
  5. Get back into running

I am happy that I already know I will have more time in 21.. I am going to be more consistent. I am aging, so yoga will be a bigger part of my life, and I am going to get stronger...I want to see if I can get my deadlifts up over 400.

My stretching is going to focus on mobility. As I get older I have noticed the I have much less mobility and has become quite the concern from a golf standpoint, but feeling tight and wound up in every other part of life as well. For some reason the more mobility I have the better I feel generally.
You should try yoga. It's been a big help in those areas for me. I use SaraBethYoga on youtube. Great videos for beginners and more advanced. Try it out. The first few will be difficult, but you will see a difference if you stick with it!

2020 was an odd year for fitness. Rather than working out, it seemed like I stayed in shape doing projects around the house. Either way, my goals in 2020 are:
  1. Gain 20 pounds
  2. Stretch daily
  3. Meditate daily
  5. Get back into running
Great goals! Lots for you to work towards in 2021!

I am happy that I already know I will have more time in 21.. I am going to be more consistent. I am aging, so yoga will be a bigger part of my life, and I am going to get stronger...I want to see if I can get my deadlifts up over 400.
Yes, great goals. I forgot one of mine, which is dumbbell workouts. Need to increase flexibility, but increase strength as well. Good luck!!

There it is. I need to come up with a plan for 2021 whether its getting back to running or committing to a work out program. 2020 was a bust & I need to lose these pounds I put on.

You should try yoga. It's been a big help in those areas for me. I use SaraBethYoga on youtube. Great videos for beginners and more advanced. Try it out. The first few will be difficult, but you will see a difference if you stick with it!
Will definitely look into her. I have never thought about doing yoga, but have heard a lot of good things about it.

Great goals! Lots for you to work towards in 2021!
Thanks! I usually jump right into the deep end and burn out, so I’m consciously avoiding that this time around.

Since (I am assuming here) that I am part of the majority that is not getting any younger, I have started to exercise more to help my strength and stamina since walking a round is more fun, but many courses near me enjoy their elevation changes.

I started using a trainer for my road bike and some weight training, pushups and resistance bands to strengthen my swing. So far, so good, but I have to wait until more snow melts to test out the results :)

Helping my wife with quarantine so she can visit grandkids next week. Then back to the gym.

Will definitely look into her. I have never thought about doing yoga, but have heard a lot of good things about it.
It'll suprise you, in a very good way! Wish I had done it a long time ago!

Since (I am assuming here) that I am part of the majority that is not getting any younger, I have started to exercise more to help my strength and stamina since walking a round is more fun, but many courses near me enjoy their elevation changes.

I started using a trainer for my road bike and some weight training, pushups and resistance bands to strengthen my swing. So far, so good, but I have to wait until more snow melts to test out the results :)
Sounds like a good start! Cant wait to see how it translates to your golf game!

I'm in.. I'm making terrible dietary choices with all these cookies so will be getting back at it shortly

I'm in.. I'm making terrible dietary choices with all these cookies so will be getting back at it shortly
Same, once all these cookies are gone, me too!

1. Gain 20 pounds
  2. Stretch daily
  3. Meditate daily
  5. Get back into running

Gain 20??? Bulking up for distance?

Reposting from the 2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

I started working out and getting my diet straight in 2005. Other than a couple 3-month and one six-month break, I've worked out, and mostly kept my diet right, since then. Then SARS-Cov-2/Covid-19 hit. Last workout was the end of February, one week before they shut the gyms down in Michigan.

My diet tends to follow my workout regimen. So when I stopped working out I stopped watching my diet. Result: I weigh only four pounds more than I did at the end of February, but I'm up from a 34 in. waist jean fitting comfortably to a 36 in. waist jean becoming marginal. My sciatica was back. I was beginning to really feel my age.

So week-before-last I said to myself "Self, your lifestyle is gonna kill you before the Wu Flu at this rate. Screw it. Time to get back to the gym." Did three weight-training days last week. Got another three in this week. Next week, and likely the first week after NYD, will be the same. Then I'll start adding cardio days. Goal is five workouts/week: HIIT cardio, upper body, legs, upper body, HIIT cardio.

I feel much better already.

Haven't started the diet seriously, yet, though I have done some cutting back. After the first I'll bear down: No more snacking on "work" days or "work" nights (Sunday afternoon through Friday afternoon). I like a beer with dinner. That'll be out on those nights, too. Friday evening through Sunday morning will be my "cheat" period each week. I'll interval fast Sunday evenings through noon on Mondays.

Last year was a good year health and fitness wise but I slipped off in Q4 due to work ramping back up.
We plan to get started back up next week and I will try to.

Cardio 4-5x a week
At least 100 push ups a day
At least 100 sit-ups per day
Create a more consistent stretching routine with a little yoga involved
Cut back on carbs

2021 goals:

-Get back to my weight when I got married, 195
-1 pull-up (I have some bum shoulders but hoping with some good exercise routine and weight loss I can make this happen
-run full speed for 50 yards (right now I would never try this, scared to blow out a hammy or quad)
-walk 18 holes

Gain 20??? Bulking up for distance?
Oh yea!!! But I’m also 10 pounds less than when I used to dive so I’m trying to get back into better shape. Hoping that helps with some knee, back, and shoulder ailments.

Last year was a good year health and fitness wise but I slipped off in Q4 due to work ramping back up.
We plan to get started back up next week and I will try to.

Cardio 4-5x a week
At least 100 push ups a day
At least 100 sit-ups per day
Create a more consistent stretching routine with a little yoga involved
Cut back on carbs
Solid plan! Excited to see your progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back