2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least 100 push ups a day
At least 100 squats per day
I just added 100 curls to the list this week
I also added taking protein powder drinks this week.

Having never taken supplements before. What should I expect? I'm 67 years young

At least 100 push ups a day
At least 100 squats per day
I just added 100 curls to the list this week
I also added taking protein powder drinks this week.

Nice plan, not sure on the supplements, hopefully someone else can chime in!

No massive goals for me. Just to keep up what I started last month. I had become completely sedentary apart from one round of golf a week. Being the wrong side of 45, and being out of breath walking up the stairs at work led me to finally get off my arse and do something. I’ve been hammering the rides on Peloton. Not a fan of excercise, but the peloton classes are really motivating me. I plan on probably coughing up for the bike rather than just using the app on an Amazon special as I’m doing now. I’ve lost a stone since I started the classes. My goal for next year is another couple of stone (around 30lbs).

2021 goals:

-walk 18 holes
One of my goals.

Once I get a month or so back in the gym under my belt, and get some cardio in, I'm thinking I'll weigh my full bag, load up my backpack with the same weight, and begin walking at least once-a-week with that pack on until I've gotten up to the distance for an "average" 18-hole course--whatever that is.

No massive goals for me. Just to keep up what I started last month. I had become completely sedentary apart from one round of golf a week. Being the wrong side of 45, and being out of breath walking up the stairs at work led me to finally get off my arse and do something. I’ve been hammering the rides on Peloton. Not a fan of excercise, but the peloton classes are really motivating me. I plan on probably coughing up for the bike rather than just using the app on an Amazon special as I’m doing now. I’ve lost a stone since I started the classes. My goal for next year is another couple of stone (around 30lbs).
Nice start! Heres to a productive 2021!!

One of my goals.

Once I get a month or so back in the gym under my belt, and get some cardio in, I'm thinking I'll weigh my full bag, load up my backpack with the same weight, and begin walking at least once-a-week with that pack on until I've gotten up to the distance for an "average" 18-hole course--whatever that is.
I'd like to walk more while golfing. This is a great plan to get yourself there! Avg. Distance walked for me during a round depends in how straight I hit the ball :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh yea!!! But I’m also 10 pounds less than when I used to dive so I’m trying to get back into better shape. Hoping that helps with some knee, back, and shoulder ailments.
As a former really skinny guy, done correctly, it will absolutely help.

2020 was a good year for me in the gym. I'm stronger than I have ever been and feel like I have lots of good strength gaining years ahead of me.
I enjoyed your progression in 2020, so heres to keeping it moving in 2021!

Are you talking about workout supplements? If so: The only two I take on a regular basis are protein powder shakes and BCAA.

I mix 5g of BCAA (I like MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Energy) in my workout water. BCAAs are the three branched-chain amino acids (proteins) that go straight into the bloodstream for immediate use by the muscles. I knock-down a protein shake immediately after my workout. Those two, together, not only aid muscle build, but help reduce the severity of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).

At one time, as an experiment in bulking-up, I added Creatine to my protein shakes. I may do it again, just for grins, but I'm really more about fitness, strength, and flexibility than getting ripped.

I'll be 70 at the end of this coming January.

once this week is over, it's back to indoor cycling. I have used the Peloton app but also going to try Apple Fitness+ since I have a few free months of it.

once this week is over, it's back to indoor cycling. I have used the Peloton app but also going to try Apple Fitness+ since I have a few free months of it.
Let us know what that does for you, or does not. You can be our Guinea Pig :)

2020 was an odd year for fitness. Rather than working out, it seemed like I stayed in shape doing projects around the house. Either way, my goals in 2020 are:
  1. Gain 20 pounds
  2. Stretch daily
  3. Meditate daily
  4. Turn tracking calories into tracking nutrition
  5. Get back into running
Gain 20 pounds? Is this some reverse psychology thing? If you're serious, I've got an extra 20 you are more than welcome to.

Gain 20 pounds? Is this some reverse psychology thing? If you're serious, I've got an extra 20 you are more than welcome to.
I need to build better core and lower body strength to combat past injuries. Having recently turned 30, I know my days of trying to gain weight are numbered. So I need to make sure I gain it in the right spots while I still can! :LOL:

I need to build better core and lower body strength to combat past injuries. Having recently turned 30, I know my days of trying to gain weight are numbered. So I need to make sure I gain it in the right spots while I still can! :LOL:
True enough. After a certain number the ability for us to "control" our weight gain becomes more and more difficult. You've got a good plan, get to where you want to be while it's still feasible and then you can focus on maintaining.

I got to do something for sure, need to get back to my younger days of hitting push up/crunch goals daily.

Big one for 2021 will be turning around the alcohol consumption, aside from anxiety meds we used this to calm down daily so getting that in control is highest priority.

Then I'd like to focus on specific golf exercises cos I need to be playing better and a lot is down to being fitter and more flexible.

I have two bad habits that need to get knocked over in 2021:
- skipping my gym sessions due to work
- skipping regular meals due to work
I have worked with a personal trainer twice a week for about 10 years now. Over the last couple of years, between my day job, the curling job, occasional laziness it's become too easy to put my own health aside and just keep hammering away. Even easier than skipping the workouts is skipping eating. Or worse, eating 100% junk.
I haven't stepped on a scale recently, but my pants are trying to tell me something. I feel fat. I look fat in photos. I've climbed flights of stairs or ladders at work and had to pause at the top to catch my breath. It's embarrassing.
So, objectives for 2021:
- maintain my PT schedule of twice a week
- add an additional gym day on my own
- don't skip meals, and eat better food
- incorporate yoga or other stretching methods into my daily routine, minimum 20 minutes
- drink more water and less alcohol

One of my goals.

I walk mostly and the courses I play range from 5.5 to 6.5 miles depending on how far apart the holes are.

Having recently turned 30, I know my days of trying to gain weight are numbered.
Thirty?!?! Hahahahahaha!

Young man: I'm going on 70 and can still add bulk. I'm tall and skinny--what they call a "slow gainer" in terms of adding lean body mass (muscles). A good weight training regimen and the proper nutrition and you can do it. Trust me :)

Thirty?!?! Hahahahahaha!

Young man: I'm going on 70 and can still add bulk. I'm tall and skinny--what they call a "slow gainer" in terms of adding lean body mass (muscles). A good weight training regimen and the proper nutrition and you can do it. Trust me :)
Hey I’m just preparing for the worst! :LOL:

I'm trying to keep it realistic but I want to get back strict on my diet and lose a little more body fat. In addition I want to keep running with my daughter to improve my cardio and keep to my new strength conditioning plan to add muscle and increase core strength. I'm also still doing swing speed training and general swing work. I can't wait to see where I can get

If indoor cycling is your thing, you may be a little disappointed with fitness plus. I thought the spin classes were really poor, especially compared to the peloton classes. If you are planning to use the other classes, you may see more value in it.

Plan is to alternate swimming every other thru the new year

start incorporating body weight back in for a few weeks

then back into full lifting

If indoor cycling is your thing, you may be a little disappointed with fitness plus. I thought the spin classes were really poor, especially compared to the peloton classes. If you are planning to use the other classes, you may see more value in it.

I've heard that as well.

My goals for 2021 which I already started.

1. Workout 6 days : 4 hiit classes, 2 weight cardio days
2. Drop 30lbs
3. Body fat under 10%
4. Work on flexibility
5. Strengthen lower back and hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back