2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright cold weather runners what are the tips... treadmill is already boring.
Get out early in the morning...otherwise you will never do it.

Layer up your feet & upper body...but not to much. Once you start running your body temp is going to increase then you will sweat. Once you get wet & cold its all over.

My Garmin Forerunner just told me to move. I guess I've been sitting too long.

Get out early in the morning...otherwise you will never do it.

Layer up your feet & upper body...but not to much. Once you start running your body temp is going to increase then you will sweat. Once you get wet & cold its all over.
Thanks! 💯

Absolutely man. Keeping the fingers warm are always very important. Sometimes I would run in shorts just because you heat up quick. I could never run on a treadmill.

Checking in! I’ve got two workouts in this week and will have a 3rd as soon as my little dude goes to bed!

Cardio during winter months for me were tough. Either I did it as soon as I woke up or I didn't end up doing it at all. Too many things to distract me...not to mention...if I debated how cold it was outside I wouldn't go.

It is very hard to get outside and do it. I also agree if the morning doesn’t happen, it is hard to do.

It is very hard to get outside and do it. I also agree if the morning doesn’t happen, it is hard to do.
I mean I think at that point your body & mind are fully awake & reasoning wins if you wait. 😂

Today I'll finish my 4th straight week of weight training 3x/week. Due to scheduling issues (read: procrastination on my part) I won't get a cardio session in this week.

Even though I'm not anywhere close to where I was in the amount of weight/resistance with which I'm training, I'm already seeing results in the mirror, which is kind of surprising.

Here are a couple golf-specific routines in which a few of you might be interested:

Check out what DeChambeau does at the 23:45 mark in this video:

I tried that week-before-last, with just ten pounds or so, with a Keiser Functional Trainer at my gym. Was interesting, but I couldn't really tell what it was hitting. Forgot it last week. Yesterday I tried it again, only this time with fifteen pounds. Whoa! That one I felt :) I'm definitely adding that to leg day.

Here's one I added on chest, triceps, and core day:

Montefusco presents several golf-specific routines you can do with that machine. Unfortunately, they may not be doable with a traditional machine that's plate-loaded because of the speed at which they're executed.

I love that machine. If I hit the lottery I'd have one of those at home in a heartbeat.

Good consistent week hitting all my goals, except cardio. Still trying to find a way to sneak it in, without freezing outside :ROFLMAO:.

I lost 5 pounds last week. Weight Watchers is ok. It’s a little bit of a hassle logging everything you eat or drink, but it makes you cognizant of it too.

Finally got a rowing session in. Starting a little late in 2021 - time to amp it up!

Today was an off day due to driving back from Ohio. My body is going to need a run in the morning after sitting in a car for 12 hrs.

Are you still marathon training?
I haven’t run a marathon in over a year & a half. Just trying to keep in shape as I’ve put on a few lbs during Covid. 😀 I do have a half marathon scheduled for March, but don’t think I’ll run any more marathons.

I haven’t run a marathon in over a year & a half. Just trying to keep in shape as I’ve put on a few lbs during Covid. 😀 I do have a half marathon scheduled for March, but don’t think I’ll run any more marathons.
Sounds like a good idea. I don't see any benefit from doing a full marathon. 13.1 miles is plenty!

Sounds like a good idea. I don't see any benefit from doing a full marathon. 13.1 miles is plenty!
Hahaha the marathon has been & will always be my favorite distance. I will eventually probably run one again, just not sure when.

I did another 10km rowing this morning. Hoping to average 35 km/week.

I'm going to start back up with intermittent fasting too. It's been fairly easy for me to skip breakfast & lunch & just wait to eat until I get home from school, so I'll plan my 8 hour eating window from 3-11 pm. Actually, I'll try to eat just once or twice/day when I'm fasting.

Hahaha the marathon has been & will always be my favorite distance. I will eventually probably run one again, just not sure when.

I'll have to get into better overall shape and lose more weight before I start running seriously - need to reduce the wear & tear on my joints, & I'm too heavy right now. I do love to run, but I'm sticking to rowing right now.

But... it is pretty cool to finish the Akron Marathon (half marathon) and have a large crowd cheering you on as you enter the stadium.

I'll have to get into better overall shape and lose more weight before I start running seriously - need to reduce the wear & tear on my joints, & I'm too heavy right now. I do love to run, but I'm sticking to rowing right now.

But... it is pretty cool to finish the Akron Marathon (half marathon) and have a large crowd cheering you on as you enter the stadium.
Yep & until they start letting spectators for marathons and such I won’t be running one. Need some energy there at the finish line.

Cleared to workout again at the in laws basement.
Moved the workout to today to avoid the early wake up tomorrow after the NFL games today.
Squat 270x5x3
Overhead press 115x5x3 back to pre lockdown strength
Deadlift 370x5. Managed 2 with double overhand and the balance with hook grip. I think the extra days off helped make this seem pretty easy.

Things are getting serious in the Mark_UK spinning studio. Upgraded the pedals on my bike to clip ins and what a difference. It take me about 15 bloody minutes to get the cleats into the pedals at first, but what an upgrade. Biggest difference is when rising out of the saddle. Easier to generate more power. I think I’ll need to mix things up a little soon though, so looking at getting some sets of dumb bells. They seem difficult to get right now though with models often sold out, and the ones still in stock seem pretty pricey.

Got another 3.5 miles in this afternoon.

I hit the gym for the first time for strength training since the pandemic started. More to come.

I have trained twice this week already. Good news, squats didn't hurt my groin in the least and the top set moved well enough to make me happy.

Meh day today.
Squats, good: 275x5x3
Bench Press, bad: 185x5,4 170x5 - Will go with 2.5 lb jumps next time at 172.5. Need to tighten up the technique too.
Power Cleans, ok. dropped to 135x3x5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back