2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably more of a diet thing than workout but I’m going to try to not eat sugar for a couple of weeks. It’s hard because I love sweets.

Stay strong on that one man! It takes a bit but your body will stop craving it. I’d say inside 6 weeks I could barely eat sweets. They just tasted too sweet and made me feel half sick.

Personal note hit 218 on the scale. Tops was 298 5 years ago. Dropped 20 and held for years. Now I’m under 220 for the first time since I was 22/23 or so. Have dropped 60 since 04/01/20.

I don’t carry 220 like I used to so going to keep going until I like what I see in the mirror.

A couple main things have helped. Unless it has alcohol in it (and I have limited that quite a bit) I do not drink calories.

No sweets per above.

Portion control. Instead of getting a plate of spaghetti, I get a bowl. I still eat most of the same foods as before. I do eat a lot more fruits and somewhat more veggies.

Only eat when hungry. Not because it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner time. For me I’ve cut a meal a day out. I usually get hungry late morning/early afternoon. That’s my one sure meal. The rest of them are if I’m hungry.

You’ll have days where you F it up. Just remember though, 3500 calories equals one pound. So don’t sweat it when you mess up. I doubt you go over the “I gained a pound because of this” limit often. Sure I’ll try to make up for it the next day or two but I don’t call it quits. That was me in the past. I’d have a bad day or two and as a stress eater and general enjoyer of food, I mess up some.

Oh well. Move on, make it up or don’t, but do NOT give up because of it. I’ve got to the point I can only eat so much. After that I’ll feel horrible for 4-6 hours. So I always keep that in mind too.

Luck to everyone on their ways to their goals!!

Stay strong on that one man! It takes a bit but your body will stop craving it. I’d say inside 6 weeks I could barely eat sweets. They just tasted too sweet and made me feel half sick.

Personal note hit 218 on the scale. Tops was 298 5 years ago. Dropped 20 and held for years. Now I’m under 220 for the first time since I was 22/23 or so. Have dropped 60 since 04/01/20.

I don’t carry 220 like I used to so going to keep going until I like what I see in the mirror.

A couple main things have helped. Unless it has alcohol in it (and I have limited that quite a bit) I do not drink calories.

No sweets per above.

Portion control. Instead of getting a plate of spaghetti, I get a bowl. I still eat most of the same foods as before. I do eat a lot more fruits and somewhat more veggies.

Only eat when hungry. Not because it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner time. For me I’ve cut a meal a day out. I usually get hungry late morning/early afternoon. That’s my one sure meal. The rest of them are if I’m hungry.

You’ll have days where you F it up. Just remember though, 3500 calories equals one pound. So don’t sweat it when you mess up. I doubt you go over the “I gained a pound because of this” limit often. Sure I’ll try to make up for it the next day or two but I don’t call it quits. That was me in the past. I’d have a bad day or two and as a stress eater and general enjoyer of food, I mess up some.

Oh well. Move on, make it up or don’t, but do NOT give up because of it. I’ve got to the point I can only eat so much. After that I’ll feel horrible for 4-6 hours. So I always keep that in mind too.

Luck to everyone on their ways to their goals!!
Great job so far, and great words of encouragement! Happy to see your direction, and can't wait to see where it takes you man!

2021 has been a great start as far as being active for me. The downside, I am not seeing any drastic reductions of weight loss just yet. Think I need to focus on the diet & intake of beverages moving forward.

2021 has been a great start as far as being active for me. The downside, I am not seeing any drastic reductions of weight loss just yet. Think I need to focus on the diet & intake of beverages moving forward.

Unless you have 7 hours a a day to workout (like professional athletes) you are going have much more to gain by diet. I’m not discouraging working out but due to some limitations with lung capacity a workout for me is walking 9 holes.

You can run for an hour or you can just not eat the doughnut. For me the only option was not eating the doughnut

I do try to be as physical as I can be with most things. A solo hour on the sim was a workout for me. I was done by the end of it. But I also quickly discarded my game plan of hitting 50/75/100 yard wedges. A hundred or so full swing and I was pouring sweat and huffing and puffing. I fairness to me I don’t swing 80%. Unless under 125 I’m hitting whatever club I have as hard as I can.

Unless you have 7 hours a a day to workout (like professional athletes) you are going have much more to gain by diet. I’m not discouraging working out but due to some limitations with lung capacity a workout for me is walking 9 holes.

You can run for an hour or you can just not eat the doughnut. For me the only option was not eating the doughnut

I do try to be as physical as I can be with most things. A solo hour on the sim was a workout for me. I was done by the end of it. But I also quickly discarded my game plan of hitting 50/75/100 yard wedges. A hundred or so full swing and I was pouring sweat and huffing and puffing. I fairness to me I don’t swing 80%. Unless under 125 I’m hitting whatever club I have as hard as I can.
I absolutely agree with you on all accounts. I definitely won't be running like I used to with 2hr runs on the weekend. So combining the both, diet & physical activity, will be key for me. Unfortunately I won't be giving up the beer, so its gonna have to be the donuts.

Just completed a 48 hr fast to kick start the next couple of months. Easier than I thought but was hard watching the girls eat Chick Fil A one night.

Just completed a 48 hr fast to kick start the next couple of months. Easier than I thought but was hard watching the girls eat Chick Fil A one night.
I need to do this...my wife does fasting quite often.

I did a whole bunch of power snatches today. Felt good. Was fun. Good PRs.

Guess I’m starting to take this fitness thing semi seriously. Just put an order in for some adjustable dumbbells. Not looking to turn into Conan The Barbarian, but everything I’ve read says if you just concentrate on one thing, in my case, spin cycling, it eventually stops being that effective. Hopefully I’ll stick with it, as it’s been a good 15 years since I’ve regularly lifted weights.

Be aware that heavy lifting may not be healthy for your golf game, unless you stretch.
I started doing rotator cuff and then next time i stepped up to the ball i felt so much stronger on the takeaway and it made me feel really strong.

Last edited:
Be aware that heavy lifting may not be healthy for your golf game, unless you stretch.
I started doing rotator cuff and then next time i stepped up to the ball i felt so much stronger on the takeaway and it made me feel really strong.
If that’s aimed at me, I don’t plan on anything too heavy. I’ll be doing the peloton strength classes. They look to be focused more on reps than heavy lifting. Good point about the stretching though.

Guess I’m starting to take this fitness thing semi seriously. Just put an order in for some adjustable dumbbells. ... everything I’ve read says if you just concentrate on one thing, in my case, spin cycling, it eventually stops being that effective.
You're talking two different things: Cardio and weight training. What you're describing, the body becoming used to something and that something becoming less effective, applies to strength training, but not cardio.

Still: Weight training is important, I feel. Strong muscles support your skeleton, and weight training increases bone density.

If that’s aimed at me, I don’t plan on anything too heavy. I’ll be doing the peloton strength classes. They look to be focused more on reps than heavy lifting. Good point about the stretching though.
Its aimed at anyone in here i didnt read all the posts. I used to be big, ive benched 300 lbs, ive leg pressed over 500 lbs, ive curled 110 lbs. i was 200 lbs. I didnt gain any distance- i swear. i hit it the same distance as when i was 135 lbs.

Been getting my butt kicked the last few weeks and this week is no exception, but finally getting my workout in even if it is 10pm.

I disagree with your assessment on heavy lifting.

But that's fine. I wish you all the best.

Quick workout done. Stretching hurts. Kind of want to go back to working out. Ouch.

30 minute power yoga. A good way to end the day!

Update: got a helper. Stretching is not going well. Don’t mind the socks.
View attachment 8988114
When i started yoga last year, any stretching pose was terrible. I felt uncomfortable in each position for a few times through. But it got better and better. Took some time off from it, and trying to get back into a daily routine now. Going better than when I 1st started, but still not where I want to be.

When i started yoga last year, any stretching pose was terrible. I felt uncomfortable in each position for a few times through. But it got better and better. Took some time off from it, and trying to get back into a daily routine now. Going better than when I 1st started, but still not where I want to be.
It’s a whole different type of workout! And I’ve been particularly sedentary lately, which isn’t helping. Will need to put in the work to get that flexibility back. Looks like I’m done for tonight though.
92A710CC-459E-4D0A-8A5E-A1D4E7940D0F.jpeg

I disagree with your assessment on heavy lifting.
Like many things: It depends. From what I've seen: Many heavy lifters don't engage a full range of motion. Lifting heavy without engaging full range of motion results in a lot of strength over a limited range. Coupled with forgoing stretching (I rarely see guys who lift heavy do stretches) and you have a lack of flexibility. Bad combination for golf, I should think. Doesn't have to be that way. Witness Bryson DeChambeau.

i know heavy lifting is good for the soul . it can really help you feel whole. and what bryson is doing is clear. but for me i did not gain any distance.

... what bryson is doing is clear. but for me i did not gain any distance.
A lot of what Byson's doing is specifically aimed at improvement for swinging a club. Unfocused weight training won't do it. In resuming my workouts last month, I've added three new things that are golf-specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back