2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many things: It depends. From what I've seen: Many heavy lifters don't engage a full range of motion. Lifting heavy without engaging full range of motion results in a lot of strength over a limited range. Coupled with forgoing stretching (I rarely see guys who lift heavy do stretches) and you have a lack of flexibility. Bad combination for golf, I should think. Doesn't have to be that way. Witness Bryson DeChambeau.
i know heavy lifting is good for the soul . it can really help you feel whole. and what bryson is doing is clear. but for me i did not gain any distance.
A lot of what Byson's doing is specifically aimed at improvement for swinging a club. Unfocused weight training won't do it. In resuming my workouts last month, I've added three new things that are golf-specific.
I agree on the full range of motion, but not so much on anything else here. Especially "golf specific" exercises. All that is needed is a few main basic lifts done heavy to an full effective range of motion, a few helpful accessory movements to compliment the main movements.

Lifting heavy is good. You just need to work with somebody who knows what they're doing.

Also, semi-related, I know Bryson is getting a lot of attention, but I don't think he's very strong or lifting anything particularly heavy. Just from what I've seen of his workouts.

2 in a row. Large muscles groups say hello 💪

Got a 6.2 mile run in today!!! Felt awesome!

Another solid day of dumbbell workout and yoga. Getting more consistent and I can feel it.

Good workout this morning.
Squat 280X5x3 were pretty good
Overhead press 117.5x5x3. Those 5th reps were tough but done.
Deadlift 375x5 - 1 rep with double overhead, 4 with hook grip. 5 lbs off of a 5 rep PR.

I agree on the full range of motion, but not so much on anything else here. Especially "golf specific" exercises. All that is needed is a few main basic lifts done heavy to an full effective range of motion, a few helpful accessory movements to compliment the main movements.

Lifting heavy is good. You just need to work with somebody who knows what they're doing.

Also, semi-related, I know Bryson is getting a lot of attention, but I don't think he's very strong or lifting anything particularly heavy. Just from what I've seen of his workouts.
Regardless of the whether heavy strength training increases distance, one thing it does for sure is make walking and carrying your bag a lot easier. Even in the midst of training at the heaviest weights I ever have, save for squats, I felt better during and after walking and carrying 18, all that after crawling around an attic for a few hours. All after just a 2 month refocus on strength training.

Diet and exercise has been better this week

Regardless of the whether heavy strength training increases distance, one thing it does for sure is make walking and carrying your bag a lot easier. Even in the midst of training at the heaviest weights I ever have, save for squats, I felt better during and after walking and carrying 18, all that after crawling around an attic for a few hours. All after just a 2 month refocus on strength training.
This is my not surprised face.

I played 18 today and have been solid on the diet all week

Large muscle groups super sore, but feeling good about it. Ordered a new pair of Nike Vomeros and really hoping they provide the support I need.

Ive gone from sitting on my arse being a total couch potato to now looking forward to doing some excercise. It’s amazing how addictive it becomes when there is a goal. Of course, the addiction should be to get fit, and that is the goal, but i find earning badges, and trying to beat my score each week on my Halo fitness tracker are huge motivators for me. And whatever works, right?
B8C0D66D-67B5-4876-8CE0-AEAD3AA97514.png

Good Monday morning to everyone!

Good workout today!
BW 193 and change
Squat 285x5x3 - Still moving pretty well for the last reps of the last 2 sets.
Bench press 172.5x5x3 - sets 2 and 3 were the best
Power clean 140x3x5. No real complaints there.

Good Monday morning to everyone!

Good workout today!
BW 193 and change
Squat 285x5x3 - Still moving pretty well for the last reps of the last 2 sets.
Bench press 172.5x5x3 - sets 2 and 3 were the best
Power clean 140x3x5. No real complaints there.
Yessss!

A just fine training session tonight. Squats went well. 445x1; 380x5x3. Also did halting deadlifts, 475x3x4

Yay training

Was going to sign up for the Y to swim and Orange theory to workout but I derided to go the parks board route. The gym is 2 blocks from my place. Every year they are upgrading the equipment and the facility isn’t busy. Also it includes classes and discount in skating ect. For 15$ more you can included unlimited swimming pool visits . So that was a no brainer. For half the price of the Y I get a better workout experience, skating and swimming . Sign me up

Training went so darn well tonight. I benched pressed 295 for 5 sets of 5 and it moved remarkably well! I'm so happy.

I've been solid on my dieting and exercise but whoop has shown me I'm not getting enough sheep.. Hmm

5 of 295?! wow
anybody like deadlifting? or rows?

For me, I am going to eat a little healthier. That includes more home cooked meals and less eating out. I am also reducing the amount of Coke I drink on a daily basis. I am planning to replace most of it with water and Raspberry Lemonade Crystal Light.

I have started some resistance band training. I started with one exercise and added another about a week later. Then I will keep building on what I am doing over time.

i don’t want to jump all in and then not be able to maintain interest or performance so that is why I am adding just a little at a time. I have plans for adding in more resistance band training at home as well as starting a 100 push-up and possibly 100 crunches a day routine. I am also getting access to the gym at my wife’s work. Going to add in some cardio and weights over time.

5 of 295?! wow
anybody like deadlifting? or rows?
I do. So does @blugold.

This morning's workout:
Bw 189.5 (need to eat more haha)
Squat 290x5x3
Overhead press 120x5x3
DL 380x5 which ties a PR from almost exactly 4 years ago. I haven't recorded any sets in this go around, but I did my deadlift set today. Bad angle, but it surprised me how easy they looked. It always feels harder than it looks.

I do. So does @blugold.

This morning's workout:
Bw 189.5 (need to eat more haha)
Squat 290x5x3
Overhead press 120x5x3
DL 380x5 which ties a PR from almost exactly 4 years ago. I haven't recorded any sets in this go around, but I did my deadlift set today. Bad angle, but it surprised me how easy they looked. It always feels harder than it looks.

You didn't ask, but I'm still seeing stuff. Do your best to not open your hand between reps. It makes the hook more painful. You can set your back bit a harder, be patient squeezing your chest forward. Look out about 14'. You've got a 4 wheel deadlift in you, easy.

I’m at 10 weeks in a row on the Tonal. At least 3x a week each of those weeks minus the week of Christmas.

Been having some knee pain so decreasing the mileage this week. Still hoping to hit 80 miles on the pavement for the month of Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back