2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...there’s work to be done.

This year kicked my ass, and I’m about 18lbs higher than I’m comfortable and honestly I should go more than that.

That said, this is also about general health and fitness. Going to do some golf specific work and training, but it’s also time to get back to intermittent fasting and low carb lifestyle. Also considering Orange Theory or just a personal trainer since I’ve got the time now that I’m not in the classroom.

Either way. Goals are good, and it’s time to set them.

Well...there’s work to be done.

This year kicked my ass, and I’m about 18lbs higher than I’m comfortable and honestly I should go more than that.

That said, this is also about general health and fitness. Going to do some golf specific work and training, but it’s also time to get back to intermittent fasting and low carb lifestyle. Also considering Orange Theory or just a personal trainer since I’ve got the time now that I’m not in the classroom.

Either way. Goals are good, and it’s time to set them.
Glad to have you in here! Cant wait to see how you progress, especially leading up to the Mizuno Experience!

Squats tonight went pretty well, 415x4x4. I did some halting deadlifts and chin-ups. Yay training.

I need to tighten back up on the diet. A few loose days is starting the wrong trend

Live peloton ride this morning with my sister back in the UK. A great west to keep us motivated. It was a killer ride too. Also had a FaceTime with my mum for the first time in a few weeks yesterday. She commented on me looking better. Its good to be able to see results, even if they are fairly small and gradual.

deload week for the bench press. Light easy, I then did a whole bunch of lat pulldowns and triceps push downs. Really working the elbow extension,

deload week for the bench press. Light easy, I then did a whole bunch of lat pulldowns and triceps push downs. Really working the elbow extension,
All your talk of what your doing always makes me feel good when I come in to say, I had a great yoga session :ROFLMAO:. Even when you had a light session. Glad you've been in here though, sharing and giving tips to others! Keep moving forward!

All your talk of what your doing always makes me feel good when I come in to say, I had a great yoga session :ROFLMAO:. Even when you had a light session. Glad you've been in here though, sharing and giving tips to others! Keep moving forward!
Thank you sir. The light weeks are 100% by design. Just doing what I can to dissipate some fatigue for next week, which gets heavy again.

2xPR Wednesday!

Squat 320x5x3 - last rep of that last set was tough, but got it done.
Overhead press 122.5x5x3 - This is a 5x3 PR
Deadlift 390x5 for a 5 rep PR - Felt like it moved easier than 385 last Friday.

Getting close to my highest squat. 35 lbs to go, at a bodyweight about 10 lbs lighter than I was hitting those numbers 4 years ago. Not feeling too fatigued either. Haven't thrown in a light squat day, and I will see if back-off sets will be needed. They were when I got to 335. A change in programming is coming soon; perhaps a bench and overhead press focused block, for my wife's sake ;)

2xPR Wednesday!

Squat 320x5x3 - last rep of that last set was tough, but got it done.
Overhead press 122.5x5x3 - This is a 5x3 PR
Deadlift 390x5 for a 5 rep PR - Felt like it moved easier than 385 last Friday.

Getting close to my highest squat. 35 lbs to go, at a bodyweight about 10 lbs lighter than I was hitting those numbers 4 years ago. Not feeling too fatigued either. Haven't thrown in a light squat day, and I will see if back-off sets will be needed. They were when I got to 335. A change in programming is coming soon; perhaps a bench and overhead press focused block, for my wife's sake ;)
I know what Practical Programming says, but I don't use the back offs for the squat. I move to Texas Method as soon as the light day isn't enough to dissipate the fatigue. Since you're training at home, a 4 day split is a better way to navigate post novice training.

I know what Practical Programming says, but I don't use the back offs for the squat. I move to Texas Method as soon as the light day isn't enough to dissipate the fatigue. Since you're training at home, a 4 day split is a better way to navigate post novice training.
Home-ish. Just down the road to my brother-in-law's house. But yes, a 4 day split might be better. Would probably shorten my workouts, which would be nice considering the 4:50am alarm I have set for workout days.

I'll throw in the light day when it is needed and go from there.

Had a visit from one of the regional Air Marshals this afternoon. First time I’ve seen him in about 6 months. He actually commented on well I was looking with my weight loss. Ok, it was a bloke saying it, not a hot girl, but I’ll still take it LOL.

Had a visit from one of the regional Air Marshals this afternoon. First time I’ve seen him in about 6 months. He actually commented on well I was looking with my weight loss. Ok, it was a bloke saying it, not a hot girl, but I’ll still take it LOL.
Still a step in the right direction!

Walked 18 today.. felt great. I now need to get back to running with my daughter now that warmer weather is on the horizon!!

Last workout of February in the books.
Squats 325x5x3. Last rep of each set was heavy, but I did it.
Bench 180x5x3 - keep on moving up.
Power Clean 157.5x3x5. Last set was a little shaky, but a PR nonetheless. I might drop a little weight to get my technique a little better. Not getting explosive as well as I need to be.

My last workout of February was yesterday. That makes three months, three times/week, having missed only six workouts. This week I was able to bump weight/resistance up by 5-10 pounds across the board. I'm pretty stiff and sore :)

In March I'll add a cardio day. That's also when I'll get back on the wagon on getting my nutrition straight.

Thank you! I am in better shape now than when I was 50, lol.

That's a goal I can get behind! Low hanging fruit for me though!

It is! The Japanese call a walk in the woods, "forest bathing", lol. I am very lucky that I have a state park so close to my home. And I rarely see any people on the hiking trails.

I've always maintained that a lot of the problems we have with kids in school (nationwide) could be minimized if we could take them all out hiking in the woods or a state/national park for a few hours each week.

For most kids - especially inner city kids - youtube/instagram is more real than the actual reality of the outdoors. It's tough to put things into perspective if you have no perspective to begin with.

Ran another 5k today. 1:30 faster than last week. Pace was 30 seconds faster. 3rd Week in a row of better a better time. I’ll take it!

So - I don't have a barbell or a rack, so I can't do barbell bench press, squats, or deadlifts. At some point soon I'm planning on getting some Rogue Fitness stuff (since they're in Columbus, once they open their showroom up, I'll order & just pick it up & save the shipping cost & time).

In the meantime, I'm using dumbbells & a cable machine to do my workouts. I also started watching some Athlean-X youtube videos to add some intensity & work on correct form with dumbbell workouts. Yesterday I did some drop sets & pushing through failure on a few sets & today I'm feeling the difference - super sore compared to earlier workouts.

I hope this means I'm adding muscle, so maybe the weight totals won't be going down as fast for a while. I know if I can add more muscle, this extra mass will require a higher metabolic rate to stay fueled & should help with fat loss long term.

I also think dropping the weight I was using a little now but focusing on correct form should pay off long term too.

I am weak, 😂

I turned half of my big part of the basement into a weight room/dojo.

Today was m my first real weight workout and only did a couple lifts as I know what tomorrow I going to bring.

Bench 165x5x3 (proper technique no pushing with legs at least but I had to grunt on ( the last two sets)

Squats-pfft. Leg cramps stopped that real quick but was planning on 350x5x3. I got two reps in and cramped. We shall start lower. The two reps were easy enough though.

Leg Ext-80x10x3 (coulda done more but that’s about all that’ll fit on it).

Curls 85x5x3 (proper technique)

Curls (using hips) 165x0 (damnit I tried, more of a C&J-2x I was half an inch from making it, 160 I’d have done).

I also sparred with all three kids for about an hour. I will have earned my stout tonight. Not one landed a strike despite me giving them full permission and assuring them at most they’ll get hit with a pulled slap. Taught a couple things to them that’ll help if they ever need it or just wanna fight, sanctioned of course. None of them are anywhere near being able to fight. Middle son can throw a punch at a stationary target, that’s about it. Eldest is a decent grappler. Can’t strike or joint manipulate submit to save his life.

I have let them down for far too long in this area. It’s not like when I was growing up. You can’t just fight anymore. I hate that that right of passage has been taken, our school has a strict “expulsion” policy if you so much as throw a punch in defense.

Whatever. Still holding steady around the 220 mark.

Going out in a minute to get a heavy bag. I need one, 😂, I mean the kids need one.

Heavy bag installed.

I’m going to commit 15 minutes a day if I work under 15 hours. I’m kind of stuck on my weight and not being able to cardio workout due to rib injury. I can attack that with a fury for 20 quick strikes. Pant. Repeat. Heart rate WELL over targeted for cardio the entire time.

Plus teach my kids how To defend themselves. Freaking insane that I’ve never taught my youngest two anything until a week or two ago. I’ve failed miserably here. That will change E4C10EE8-55E1-4AEF-97CC-17904BDF9661.jpeg

So - I don't have a barbell or a rack, so I can't do barbell bench press, squats, or deadlifts. At some point soon I'm planning on getting some Rogue Fitness stuff (since they're in Columbus, once they open their showroom up, I'll order & just pick it up & save the shipping cost & time).

In the meantime, I'm using dumbbells & a cable machine to do my workouts. I also started watching some Athlean-X youtube videos to add some intensity & work on correct form with dumbbell workouts. Yesterday I did some drop sets & pushing through failure on a few sets & today I'm feeling the difference - super sore compared to earlier workouts.

I hope this means I'm adding muscle, so maybe the weight totals won't be going down as fast for a while. I know if I can add more muscle, this extra mass will require a higher metabolic rate to stay fueled & should help with fat loss long term.

I also think dropping the weight I was using a little now but focusing on correct form should pay off long term too.
The shipping can be quite expensive, I paid 76 bucks for shipping 250 pounds of bumper plates, but the shipping to Ohio is fast. If you're getting fully outfitted, it might make more sense to drive down to Cbus for it.

Good week last week. Ended with a 60 minute power yoga last night, and boy am I feeling it right now! Upped some of my weights and noticed a difference bybthe end if each workout, more fatigued and got the heart pumping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back