2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness. 550x5 felt good to get done!

My goodness. My smartass would probably make a comment about how there was room for more weight on the bar, but I’d do it from a safe distance.... like from Ohio? 🤣

I’m built about like you now. I am nowhere near as strong.

Good Friday to all (see what I did there?)

Medium Squats - 300x5x3 - nothing really to report here
Bench 197.5x5x3 - Second PR of the week, and first time benching over my body weight. Woohoo!
Barbell rows - 150x8x3

After getting the vaccine three weeks ago I’m going to reup my gym membership. for the past year my exercise has consisted of regular forced marches with the three year old grandson in a jogging stroller and stretching/yoga stuff. Im really looking forward to getting back in a lifting routine

Bench 197.5x5x3 - Second PR of the week, and first time benching over my body weight. Woohoo!

Nice man! Feels good to do it. I barely can and it’s only because I’ve lost a lot of weight. I’m getting kind of bulked up, not a bad thing and I’ve seen it help my CHS a little on the course.

No @Hamfist you can’t feel my newfound muscles. Only recent bone breaks.

Oh yeah yesterday. An hour of BJJ training with my 64# 9 year old. Logistics of it are hard as I’m just so much bigger than him but that little monkey has a tight (for a 64 pound kid) rear naked choke. If I wouldn’t have fought back or tapped I was cut off enough I’d have gone out-eventually.

We then alternated lifting and the heavy bag for about an hour. Didn’t do much weight as I had a 64# spotter, but about 100# for everything. Bench I did 15x3 10 seconds down, ten up. Last couple were tough at that pace. Couple other lifts. Nothing exciting.

Oh yeah yesterday. An hour of BJJ training with my 64# 9 year old. Logistics of it are hard as I’m just so much bigger than him but that little monkey has a tight (for a 64 pound kid) rear naked choke. If I wouldn’t have fought back or tapped I was cut off enough I’d have gone out-eventually.
If you know what you're doing, it doesn't matter how big you are.

Back in high school, Brock Lesnar came to one of our wrestling practices. This was after he won the NCAA Heavyweight title, and he was training for his entry into the WWE. The guy who was training him was showing us how "real" some of the WWE stuff can get, and he put Lesnar into a front headlock, albeit without any resistance, and he had Lesnar out cold in 2 seconds. Guy was maybe 5-6 210, and well into middle age. Seeing him put down 300 lbs of muscle like nothing was insane.

If you know what you're doing, it doesn't matter how big you are.

Back in high school, Brock Lesnar came to one of our wrestling practices. This was after he won the NCAA Heavyweight title, and he was training for his entry into the WWE. The guy who was training him was showing us how "real" some of the WWE stuff can get, and he put Lesnar into a front headlock, albeit without any resistance, and he had Lesnar out cold in 2 seconds. Guy was maybe 5-6 210, and well into middle age. Seeing him put down 300 lbs of muscle like nothing was insane.

Gracie pretty much proved that by choking out huge guys regularly in the early days. I didn’t appreciate the style although I learned quite a bit back then.

I do now as I’ve found that unless a very experienced fighter, there is no counter to it. They won’t see or feel it being set up.

Still shocked at my little guy. It’s hard for me to teach him things like Kimora locks, just because the size difference. He had that one tight though. I could breathe some but both carotids were blocked enough I’d have been out.

thank you. I am a glutton for punishment with the hook grip.

You're a better man than I am hahah I have to use alternate grip, or I feel like I am going to tear everything in my hands/forearms :ROFLMAO:

Finished strong this week with a 40-minute session of not-very-High Intervals.

You're a better man than I am hahah I have to use alternate grip, or I feel like I am going to tear everything in my hands/forearms :ROFLMAO:
I get a awful bar sway when I alternate grip. I can't do it.

Pressed this afternoon. Then paused bench presses and rows. Yay training.

Nice man! Feels good to do it. I barely can and it’s only because I’ve lost a lot of weight. I’m getting kind of bulked up, not a bad thing and I’ve seen it help my CHS a little on the course.

No @Hamfist you can’t feel my newfound muscles. Only recent bone breaks.

We then alternated lifting and the heavy bag for about an hour. Didn’t do much weight as I had a 64# spotter, but about 100# for everything. Bench I did 15x3 10 seconds down, ten up. Last couple were tough at that pace. Couple other lifts. Nothing exciting.
I’m going to totally feel you up the next time we play. All. Round. Long.

I’m going to totally feel you up the next time we play. All. Round. Long.

Keep your hands to yourself or get your own damn cart Mister!

Imma gonna be all over you like a bad suit.

This is why you’ve gotta be careful about giving your phone number out to weird internet folks...

Ok, I’ll quit sidetracking now.

Ok, another workout with my 9 year old. He’s enthusiastic which is good.

1 hour of light BJJ. That little monkey has a rear naked that is wicked.... if you weigh 65 pounds. He understands how to and can flatten out. He knows where the carotids are. He wins his age/size. Without getting thrown out of school.

1 hour weights and heavy bag. Hour two was rough. I’m getting tired of light weights because I don’t have a spotter. I did 1x22x105 close hands (burnout without the extra rep) 1x15 5seconds down, 5 up, and 1x10 10 seconds down, 10 up. The last two were more 8 seconds but questionable spot, 😂. Didn’t want to totally burn.

One rep bench is calculated at 245 based on best 5x set (above body weight on actual 5x weight so boom!). Still can’t squat. Did 3x 350 first night working out and legs can’t do it still. Have a small knee issue that just isn’t getting right. Oh well. Bugs me little unless trying to lift heavy stuff so not going to worry about it yet.

Happy Easter all!

Ok. Going with Texas Method for my squats, while keeping my NLP for the presses and my once a week deadlifts.

Volume squats 325x5x5. I can see why TM is hard :ROFLMAO:. Planning for 365 for intensity day Friday.
Overhead press 125x5x3
Power clean 150x3x5

Not much else to report. Happy Monday all!

Competed in the Professional Long Drivers Association (PLDA) online “local” qualifier this weekend. Put up what I believe is the 2nd and 3rd longest balls of these online qualifiers. Happy with how I hit it, but excited to keep building on it.

This was my first time using the aboutGolf simulator, but I would guess these clubhead speeds are a touch higher than I would have expected, and ball speeds a touch lower than I expected. Either way, happy to have qualified for the second round (x2) for later this month in Columbia, SC!

Pic from my longest (380y) this weekend:

ecab83ebad7822bf8caea7cd5aff0680.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish Lent was longer so I had another reason to watch what I eat. Easter weekend wasnt the best diet wise, but I think I'll get back on it. Feels good to be down 10 lbs, to where I should be. I know not a lot, but still a noticible difference.

I wish Lent was longer so I had another reason to watch what I eat. Easter weekend wasnt the best diet wise, but I think I'll get back on it. Feels good to be down 10 lbs, to where I should be. I know not a lot, but still a noticible difference.
I need to get back to running.. i have a tentative running date with my daughter tomorrow. And of course being more strict with the diet.

Happy Masters Wednesday everyone!

Recovery day for TM squats
275x5x2 (so weird to do 2 sets). Beltless. Solid.
Bench press 200x5x3. PR and 2 bills! Woo!
Deadlift 420x5. That last rep. So hard. But overall a good workout.
37 years young tomorrow. Easily the strongest I have ever been.💪💪

Used the safety squat bar yesterday for the first time. WOOF lol I liked it for a change in pace, but damn did my lower back feel it trying to resist getting tilted forward.

Worked up to 315 lbs, then did some accessories. Straight leg RDLs really have the legs feeling woozy today :ROFLMAO:

I have to assume the weight training & rowing sessions have added some distance to my drives. It's early (only 3 full rounds), but I've already hit 3 "longest drives ever on this hole" on 3 different holes, and just seem to be getting it out there around 240-250 yards (vs 220-230 at best last year, and probably a lot more in the 200-220 range).

Hopefully this trend continues. Gotta go lift & row again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back