2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to train tonight. Felt good. Bench pressed 300x7 then 235, 2x8; 1x6. Did some dumbbell dumbbell presses, 35, 5x10. Band pull-aparts and neutral grip lat pulldowns. Finished with 10 minutes of intervals on the treadmill. Took about 75 minutes.

I was due for a bad day working out, and it came. Feeling a bit run down right now, and this morning didn't help things at all.

Light squats: 295x5x2. Yay! Nothing wrong here.
Bench 215x1-fail
Power clean 170x1 fail

Just couldn't get things going on bench today. Got 1 up and then pinned. Rested for a while and got pinned again. Blah.
So I decided to do power cleans because I didn't do them Monday. That went <sarcasm> fantastically </sarcasm>.

Did the emergency 9 yesterday do it? Did the heavy presses Monday do it? Did the weekend of fun do it? I don't know. Oh well.

Heavy set of squats planned for Friday. Maybe a set of presses and deadlift too.

Golf season begins in earnest Saturday.

I was due for a bad day working out, and it came. Feeling a bit run down right now, and this morning didn't help things at all.

Light squats: 295x5x2. Yay! Nothing wrong here.
Bench 215x1-fail
Power clean 170x1 fail

Just couldn't get things going on bench today. Got 1 up and then pinned. Rested for a while and got pinned again. Blah.
So I decided to do power cleans because I didn't do them Monday. That went <sarcasm> fantastically </sarcasm>.

Did the emergency 9 yesterday do it? Did the heavy presses Monday do it? Did the weekend of fun do it? I don't know. Oh well.

Heavy set of squats planned for Friday. Maybe a set of presses and deadlift too.

Golf season begins in earnest Saturday.
Gravity is a cruel mistress.

Good week so far. Had time to put in some work, and I feel so much better for it. I've said it before, but after sitting at work all day, getting up and being active is crucial to how I feel. Yoga and general stretching relieves stress, pain, and overall soreness.

Yay squats and stuff. Worked up to 395x7, did some beltless high bars 250, 3x6, and finished with beltless deadlifts 460 2x3. Got everything done in about 70 minutes. I like that.

Slowly getting back into exercising again. Starting out slow but the need to move faster happens quickly. Actually have been to the gym 3 times in the last week. Most I've been since the rona shut down the gyms. Its been a struggle finding my way back but its getting easier.

Gym session yesterday followed by walking 18. It was a bit much but I’ll adjust. Legs today so I’ll walk 18 then go to the gym after. At least that way I can shake at home instead of on the tee box. :D

We got a family membership to a gym a month ago for the first time in 3 years and it’s paid off for my wife and my daughters. I love having the extra equipment for core exercises and I’ve actually recaptured a bit more distance on the golf course because of it. I’ve missed some greens long this week from distances where that would never normally happen including hitting my 4 wood over a par 5 green yesterday with a front pin that was at 236 yards.

Happy Friday everyone. Moving that iron to move my irons further!

Texas Method week 5
Intensity squats 385x5. Damn this is heavy, but it is done. Definitely a level 4 squatting engineer now (lol @blugold)
Overhead press. 142.5x2,1x3, then dropped down to 135x3x3, 1. Just couldn't move the 142.5 after those 3 singles. Had to get some volume in so took off the small plates.

Golf tomorrow. Woo!

Today was leg day. Always a brutal day for me doing legs. It just wipes me out. Specially since I’ve only been back in the gym for 10 days now. Came home and ate than a nap.

I did some upper body work this evening. Presses, 200x5; 210x1; 220x1 (225 will happen again in a few weeks - It will feel good to get it again). Then 160, 3x5. Finished with really light bench presses, 135x10x5. Then I did underhand cable rows for a "rest pause". That was 3 sets to failure with 10 deep breathes between sets. Felt good. Drank a manhattan and ate a calzone.

It is Monday. Two days to start of league at least.

Volume squats 350x5x5. Moved pretty well.
Squats took a lot out of me today. I was feeling very light headed after the last set, I had to lie down on the floor for a bit. Decided to call it a workout, autoregulation or something like that. Still feeling a bit woozy. Yay training.

It is Monday. Two days to start of league at least.

Volume squats 350x5x5. Moved pretty well.
Squats took a lot out of me today. I was feeling very light headed after the last set, I had to lie down on the floor for a bit. Decided to call it a workout, autoregulation or something like that. Still feeling a bit woozy. Yay training.
Been there. Done that.

Meh, need to dial in my programming. Too many up and down.

Had to switch up gym days because I’m going to be out of town. Now I remember why I hate going after work, to busy. Did check, bi’s and shoulder last night. Little better than last week. Still pretty sore but going into week 3 it’s improving.

Last weight I’ll probably ever post but I’ll post a physique that supports and probably even makes it seem like I should be doing more, lol.

Did a max bench at 408 tonight. Well hydrated and hit scales at 216 after. That’s 1.89x my weight which beats my youth best of 1.85x.

Yes it’s not years of work but it never was. I bulk and hulk quick. Squats are still forbidden as my knee creaks and pops without weight but I joined the 400# club tonight for the first time in my life for bench. Yes I drove with legs and didn’t give a F about injuries.

After this it’ll be all about weight loss and getting the shape I want. Tonight was a life goal. Turns out I didn’t have to do much for it. 6 months of weight lifting. I’ve now squatted over 600# and benched over 400# (can currently do the bench, probably could maybe squat what I bench? 🤷‍♂️) I did 660 back at 170#, yes I know. But guys that do long drive have strength somewhere? Mine was having hips and thighs that aren’t not strong. ?

Last weight I’ll probably ever post but I’ll post a physique that supports and probably even makes it seem like I should be doing more, lol.

Did a max bench at 408 tonight. Well hydrated and hit scales at 216 after. That’s 1.89x my weight which beats my youth best of 1.85x.

Yes it’s not years of work but it never was. I bulk and hulk quick. Squats are still forbidden as my knee creaks and pops without weight but I joined the 400# club tonight for the first time in my life for bench. Yes I drove with legs and didn’t give a F about injuries.

After this it’ll be all about weight loss and getting the shape I want. Tonight was a life goal. Turns out I didn’t have to do much for it. 6 months of weight lifting. I’ve now squatted over 600# and benched over 400# (can currently do the bench, probably could maybe squat what I bench? 🤷‍♂️) I did 660 back at 170#, yes I know. But guys that do long drive have strength somewhere? Mine was having hips and thighs that aren’t not strong. ?
Strength is persistent. Once you've built it up, it is easier to get back to that level.

Good workout today.

Recovery squats 300x5x2
Volume(!) bench press 185x5x5.

Golf league lugging my bag tonight.

Good workout today.
Intensity Squat 390x5. Boom.
Light overhead press 115x5x2. Boom boom.
Deadlift 385x5. Hadn't pulled in two weeks and didn't want to wreck myself for all the golf this weekend.

Squat set

Good week and hit my goals for both weights and yoga. Plus some yard work, hauling 4 yards of mulch by wheel barrow. So needless to say my arms and legs are feeling it, but it's a good feeling.

Good workout today.
Intensity Squat 390x5. Boom.
Light overhead press 115x5x2. Boom boom.
Deadlift 385x5. Hadn't pulled in two weeks and didn't want to wreck myself for all the golf this weekend.

Squat set

Excellent.

Good week and hit my goals for both weights and yoga. Plus some yard work, hauling 4 yards of mulch by wheel barrow. So needless to say my arms and legs are feeling it, but it's a good feeling.
Yards of anything is always bigger than it sounds. That's almost half of a concrete truck!

Yards of anything is always bigger than it sounds. That's almost half of a concrete truck!
I do it each year, and each year a bit slower :ROFLMAO:. I really don't mind though, I enjoy getting work outs in while doing something productive, like yardwork. Win-win in my mind.

It was CPO yesterday so I walked and carried 27 holes. Walking 9 on the front of the same course carrying about killed me last year, the back is hilly as hell and a MUCH harder carry.

And it wasn’t a big deal. I was sucking eggs a few times (I only have 50% lung capacity since my accident in 2019) on some of the hills on the back, but not enough to impact my game.

Plus I never show up ready to carry, lmao 🤣. There’s always way too much crap in my golf bag so it’s heavy. It is an awesome Bridgestone TourB Carry Bag. We walked 27 in about 5 hours as a twosome, felt pretty good. Course was relatively empty. A little chilly (not bad) and wet (obviously).

So that was my workout yesterday other than a light workout with my kids, about 30 minutes on the heavy bag (not going balls to the wall) and about 30 minutes BJJ training. My 9 year old gets his baby hooks in and he will flat out choke out...... another 9 year old, 🤣. No he actually has mastered three moves now, the Kimora from standing, Mount, and guard, rear naked (he’s good at this one, he could put me out if I didn’t defend it or tap when I let him sink it (in a real fight I’d just punch him in the face, 😂-he’s 9-but he is very good at it and knows how to cut off both carotid arteries. It’s lights out pretty quick). The armbar. He needs a little more work learning to set it up, I know what he’s trying to do even when we’re free rolling and I don’t know what he’s trying to set up.

My middle son, the golfer, is an excellent boxer. He can land on me. It takes him a bit and without having sparred outside of an occasional real fight in 20+ years it’s not like I’m a highly skilled striker. So I spar with him without me striking (divorced, he goes home with a shiner from me, oh boy-even if he tells her it was an accident or we were just practicing-I don’t wanna know what happens). He hasn’t figured out what to do when I go southpaw stance but if I stay right handed he’ll eventually pull my left hand down. I have tons of outward strength (bench press) but almost no “up” strength with all of those bones that aid that being broke in the accident. I doubt I could overhead press 150. I stopped doing reps in the 100# range as it just hurts too much. So now I just overhead dumbbells hoping to slowly gain some strength and lack of pain by building up the muscles. Slowly.

TLDR: walked 27 and did about an hour of mostly cardio type work yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back