2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Peloton. It's fun. Been doing lots of cardio and drinking a lot less (took the month of April off from booze entirely.) Also been doing a Smolov cycle for hex bar deadlifts, I need to add 30 pounds to my 3RM to max the event on the Army's new fitness test. It's funny, I can be simultaneously in the best shape in a long time in terms of cardiac health, but also fighting monster arthritis pretty much all the time. So there's that.

Bought a Peloton. It's fun. Been doing lots of cardio and drinking a lot less (took the month of April off from booze entirely.) Also been doing a Smolov cycle for hex bar deadlifts, I need to add 30 pounds to my 3RM to max the event on the Army's new fitness test. It's funny, I can be simultaneously in the best shape in a long time in terms of cardiac health, but also fighting monster arthritis pretty much all the time. So there's that.

Should have taken March off, much shorter. 🤣

Good luck in your quest, hopefully you can get there as pain free as possible.

Back to work this week.
Lots of golf this weekend left me feeling pretty fatigued, so it was partially a recovery workout today.
Squat recovery 300x5x2
Bench press intensity 210x5. A little sloppy for a couple reps but pretty good otherwise.

Pro golfers are athletes, my friends. Walked 18 Friday and Saturday with caddies, played 18 with a cart Sunday. Every morning my body was feeling a bit sore, just not used to it yet. Practicing during the week, playing 72 over 4 days, with the mental grind associated with it would do a number on anyone. These guys (and gals) are good.

Back to work this week.
Lots of golf this weekend left me feeling pretty fatigued, so it was partially a recovery workout today.
Squat recovery 300x5x2
Bench press intensity 210x5. A little sloppy for a couple reps but pretty good otherwise.

Pro golfers are athletes, my friends. Walked 18 Friday and Saturday with caddies, played 18 with a cart Sunday. Every morning my body was feeling a bit sore, just not used to it yet. Practicing during the week, playing 72 over 4 days, with the mental grind associated with it would do a number on anyone. These guys (and gals) are good.

I hit the course last week and came to a grinding CPO ruling. Which means I walk. I went ahead and carried. Last year on the same course I informed dad on hole 3 (long 4 right uphill, only tough walk on the 9) that I was done with this stupid kind of golf, 🤣.

Last week I walked the same one and carried 27. The back is much hillier, which is why I said on hole 3 I was done at 9 last year.

Even being in much better shape, I’m at least 50# lighter than then and MUCH stronger, I was still pooped out by the end. I hadn’t planned on carrying so my bag likely weighed a lot more than needed.

Ok. Accident Saturday’s might be a thing when you are lifting. I do reps at weight for me (mostly on my own) and I know when I cant get the last one up. I rack it then. I usually get the burnout each set by moving it 8” in the rack or doing forearm twirls until I can’t. Fun.

So Saturday I set up to do my 315x10x3 lift. I’m stepping back the intensity and working on lean muscles for a month. I do have some knowledge on this.

First set, pretty easy. No worries. Second set, expecting no problems....

No. Do not work out free weights without a spot. My body was 1/4” from center on the bench, at most, and 315 pulled me off and likely broke something in my back on high right shoulder side. It’s not likely broke, its snapped. I can feel the bone. I’ve broken enough now (35ish lifetime?) that I know when one is broken.

The good-I can still golf to my level...

The bad-I can still golf to my level.

It’s broke. I have 3 others in varying level of mending. Maybe this finally puts golf off limits for me? I have a commitment on Tuesday and then nothing golf related booked.

The 4th of July shall be a party.

Ok. Accident Saturday’s might be a thing when you are lifting. I do reps at weight for me (mostly on my own) and I know when I cant get the last one up. I rack it then. I usually get the burnout each set by moving it 8” in the rack or doing forearm twirls until I can’t. Fun.

So Saturday I set up to do my 315x10x3 lift. I’m stepping back the intensity and working on lean muscles for a month. I do have some knowledge on this.

First set, pretty easy. No worries. Second set, expecting no problems....

No. Do not work out free weights without a spot. My body was 1/4” from center on the bench, at most, and 315 pulled me off and likely broke something in my back on high right shoulder side. It’s not likely broke, its snapped. I can feel the bone. I’ve broken enough now (35ish lifetime?) that I know when one is broken.

The good-I can still golf to my level...

The bad-I can still golf to my level.

It’s broke. I have 3 others in varying level of mending. Maybe this finally puts golf off limits for me? I have a commitment on Tuesday and then nothing golf related booked.

The 4th of July shall be a party.
Yeah, you may want to let that one scab over.

I ran for the first time in a year. It sucked. I pushed the pace because I knew I’d only be doing a mile. Currently trying to convince my lungs they’ll survive.
72581B06-822D-4BAE-B7E6-7638C4C1732E.jpeg

Meh Wednesday.
Overhead press volume 125x5x5. Not bad.
Power clean. 170x2 and that was all she wrote. Need to drop some weight and get it moving again.
League tonight for some loaded cardio haha

I ran for the first time in a year. It sucked. I pushed the pace because I knew I’d only be doing a mile. Currently trying to convince my lungs they’ll survive.
View attachment 9008331
Trying to talk myself into running again currently. It's been difficult getting motivated to run.

Another good week of workouts. Really enjoying the gym instead of my garage. Had to change up workout days due to being out of town but I got it done. My body seems to be adjusting quickly as I have so many years under my belt. The Covid body is fading fast.

Trying to talk myself into running again currently. It's been difficult getting motivated to run.
I’m going with the anti-burnout strategy of taking it reeaaally slow

Doctor told me I was fat. Says I need to drastically reduce my sugar intake and become less tubby. I am going to be grumpy.

I had to get 2 days worth of training done today. Presses 185x7, 195x5; 205x3, wide grip deadlifts 440x8, deadlifts 405, 3x3, bench presses (155, 3x10) and safety bar squats 255, 3x5.

Yay training

Just started working out again after 7 years. Been doing 20 minute body weight exercises everyday since a couple of days ago and walked 2 miles today. Gonna incorporate yoga in my routine as well to help with my flexibility. Was thinking of joining the gym in 2 months for serious weight lifting. Full lockdown in Malaysia now. God knows when is that gonna end. Inspired by bryson actually to be strong and healthy.

I took the day off Friday. I was tired. Work was stressing me out, and I was due for a crazy day at work Friday to meet some deadlines. I don't feel bad about it. First day off since February.

Back to today: Had to squat since I hadn't in a week.
345X5x3, which considering until this sustained period of training, I never did this weight for multiple sets, just throwing it on my back and doing it after a week without squats is pretty nice.
Overhead press 140x2. Got the third rep started, but she wasn't going up. A week away from pressing is not so good haha.

With work being crazy and golf league making looong days on Wednesday, I am going to go to just two days a week for a bit and see how that goes. Even doing more of a reduced Texas Method was really wearing on me, though I can't complain about the results.

Good squat session tonight. Worked up to a good set of 7 at 405. Finished with some beltless high bar squats and Romanian deadlifts.

Bench press night. Something is janky in my shoulder, had to adjust the movement to make it not holler at me. Did some dips and pulldowns after bench press.

Keeping up with my total body dumbbell workouts. Also doing well, but need to get better with yoga on a routine schedule. Feels so good when I do. Also oondering getting some running/cardio in. Been pondering for much too long...

Pulls tonight.

Wide grip deadlifts, 460x8; then beltless deadlifts 405, 5x2; then I finished with safety bar squats 275, 4x3. All in all, went well. I do hate pulling for 8 reps. It's kind of terrible.

Haven’t posted in a while. Today is a new PB with weight (192.4#) and vs body weight bench (2.23x).

I haven’t weighed this since my teens. I’ve never come close on bench vs weight, PB was 1.89x. I knew I’d set a PB and really my goal has been 200% of weight, so I got that up easily today.Went ahead and tried for a PB despite the weight and got that up, it wasn’t easy. Went 10# more and failed miserably.

I ll weigh10-15 pounds more tomorrow, just rehydrating (was on a slow cut to make weight for a fight that never happened so wasn’t beat but pretty dehydrated). But strength was still there.

Haven’t posted in a while. Today is a new PB with weight (192.4#) and vs body weight bench (2.23x).

I haven’t weighed this since my teens. I’ve never come close on bench vs weight, PB was 1.89x. I knew I’d set a PB and really my goal has been 200% of weight, so I got that up easily today.Went ahead and tried for a PB despite the weight and got that up, it wasn’t easy. Went 10# more and failed miserably.

I ll weigh10-15 pounds more tomorrow, just rehydrating (was on a slow cut to make weight for a fight that never happened so wasn’t beat but pretty dehydrated). But strength was still there.

You should be proud...you have made incredible progress. 👍👍

Back in the gym last night. Presses, close grip bench presses, and lat pulldowns.

Been a little lax, I started with a goal of a weight cut to set a new PB Bench % wise. I didn’t know I’d do it overall weight wise.

It’s been tough to motivate since, I’m due for low weight high reps (bleck). Let wounds heal some and worked out tonight. Did what I wanted to do.

Hit a new low weight wise at 192.4, a week or so ago on an intentional cut. I’m walking around hydrated at about 208# clothed. I’ve benched 2x my body weight for the first time in my life (Wouldn’t matter if I’m 192 or 210, done it).

Worked hard. Nothing remarkable. Didn't break anything. Haven’t fallen off my weight bench with 2x my body weight in 5-6 weeks now, 🤣.

Missed a few days due to travel. Got some squats in today. 300x5x3. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back