2021 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always is a ball of suck at first, but it does feel really good to get the workout done before anything else during the day.
I run out of energy by the end of the day, so it's so hit or miss, more miss, if I wait. It does feel better to start the day with a workout. More energy, less stress, and just overall better feeling.

Training so far this week has been good. Squats, paused high bar squats, snatch grip deadlifts, bench presses, close grip bench press, strict over head presses, rows, and running.

Been Walking and Running last couple of weeks with the nicer weather.
Apple has recorded my VO2max is getting better with every work out.
Another definition is Cardiorespiratory Fitness.

A higher VO max indicates a higher level of Cardio fitness and endurance.
Basically, I'm getting in better shape every time I exercise.

Today was Back and Biceps.

• Deadlifts
  • Chest Supported Rows
  • Lat Pull Downs
  • Barbell Curls
  • Incline Dumbbell Curls
Finished it up with some LISS Cardio

Happy Friday.
Squats: 350x5
Overhead press 135x4
Then a bunch of submaximal effort on the peloton bike. 20 minute beginner spin o_O.

D12FBCD0-FAE3-42F3-AA60-8DCABD484252.jpegJust completed the 5 week power zone program on Peloton that culminates in an FTP test. The FTP test sees you pretty much go flat out for 20 minutes and the average output is used to work out your function threshold power (95% of your total average). It’s a good way of showing improvements in your fitness. The left is my first FTP test, the right is my restest. I was hoping I might manage a small improvement, but those were decent gains showing if you have a bike, power zone training is a great way to improve fitness.

Monday morning bench presses
185x5x5. Done.

Monday Morning Workout Taken Care of:

• 4 x 8 Barbell Squats
  • 4 x 12 RDLs
  • Leg Extensions, Hamstring Curls, Seated Calf Raises
Finished up with 30 minutes of incline treadmill walking

We are closing on our house today, and I spent all weekend packing, my body was tired, but I forced myself to getup and workout, and I am glad I did.

Tuesday Workout in the Books:
  • 4 x 12 Barbell Bench Press
  • 4 x 8 Barbell OHP
  • Superset Pec Deck & Rear Delt Fly
  • Rope Tricep Pushdown
  • Skullcrushers

Finished up with 30 minutes of LISS

This may be my last workout for a few days. I am going to start moving stuff into our new house after work today, depending on how long that goes, I won't likely be feeling a back and bicep work tomorrow.

Bench pressed tonight. Worked up to 310x6. Did some close grip bench presses 250, 3x6. Then some strict presses 160, 3x5. Did some straight arm lat pulldowns to finish. Good times.

Been moving furniture and tearing out carpet the last few days. This has been taking up my exercise time, but also giving me a good workout, so win-win I think.

Tuesday Workout in the Books:
  • 4 x 12 Barbell Bench Press
  • 4 x 8 Barbell OHP
  • Superset Pec Deck & Rear Delt Fly
  • Rope Tricep Pushdown
  • Skullcrushers

Finished up with 30 minutes of LISS

This may be my last workout for a few days. I am going to start moving stuff into our new house after work today, depending on how long that goes, I won't likely be feeling a back and bicep work tomorrow.

I was correct :ROFLMAO:

Spending a few hours lugging boxes from my current house to my truck, then from my truck to the various rooms in the new house... I overslept my 5AM alarm, but I am okay with that.

Scale is still trending in the right direction, steady at an average of 2ish pounds a week has me well on my way to my goal by our friend's wedding in Mexico this October.

Pulls tonight. Managed 525x3 then 560, 1x3. The 3 singles felt good. Did some stiff legged deadlifts.

Now I'm drinking gin. So there's that.

Last edited:
It's Friday!

Bench press 210X5. Last rep was rough, though.
Then a 20 minute spin.

New week. Going to be a crazy one for work.

Squats 315x5x3. Not bad.
Finally figured out I could put my barbell over the top of my short rack and use it for chinups, so I did. 3 sets of 5.

Finally done ripping up carpet, so I'll be able to get back into a routine. Excited because between vacation and stuff around the house, I've been slacking.

Squats went well enough tonight. 435x5. That is the most I've squatted for a set of five since I turned 37, so I'll take it as a win.

An update: As you guys know, I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. Last year, I got 2 steroid injections, one in March and one in September. They worked great. I needed another steroid injection in early June this year. The results weren't as good. So, I got another one yesterday. Turns out, the pain management Doc said the treatment is usually a series of 3 injections. I had great success with only 1 injection and didn't get the follow up injections last year. So, we went with the 2nd injection and see how that does. My home course is closed until after July 4 due to the LPGA tournament. So, my first foray out on the course will be July 10th. In the meantime, I will be hitting the gym regularly to keep fit.

Time to start over! Starting with short 15-20 minute workouts, ideally in the morning before work.

dropped 11lbs since my surgery in Dec...slower progress than i'd like but progress nonetheless...then again, drinking beer and eating pizza probably isn't helping.

No plans for golf tomorrow, and going to have to miss a workout for the first time in a couple years in the coming days, so combining workouts a bit at the gym right now. Gonna be a sore but satisfied sombitch in the morning. Hopefully...

I ran for the first time in a year. It sucked. I pushed the pace because I knew I’d only be doing a mile. Currently trying to convince my lungs they’ll survive.
View attachment 9008331
Thanks for posting this. It motivated me to see how fast I could run a 5k. Most of my running (actually very little this year) has been with my wife, at a very slow jog pace. I've been doing more rowing & weight training.

Ran mostly on the HS track, flatter than my normal hilly route, but managed a PR of 28:35 (9:11 min/mi pace). I'm pretty sure it's the fastest I've run since I've been married (29 years).

I'm putting this down to being 15 lb lighter than I've been in 20+ years

Back to training tonight. Good bench presses 325x5. I did some other stuff too. Felt good being back under the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back