2021 College Golf

Duffer Waldorf

[this space available]
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 GHIN
The hole location on 16 at the Southwestern has gobbled up a few of these guys today.

Whoever mowed the fringe around the 16th green may be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Watching the replay right now...looks chilly.

Some of these guys in the Western Intercollegiate need to speed up their putting routines.

Some of these guys in the Western Intercollegiate need to speed up their putting routines.
I watched a bit of the Western Intercollegiate this evening and it reminded me of another thread where somebody said any college golfer would beat an LPGA pro. These guys are all D1 golfers, and any one of them would get absolutely smoked by an LPGA player. They could keep up or outdrive the ladies in distance, but their short games and putting aren’t even on the same planet.

I didn't get to see as much as I'd like, but the putting surprised me a lot.
It’s on again now, I’m watching more of it. My opinion hasn’t changed. 😆

At the close of the 1st round the USC team was +8 on the last 3 holes... and the Oregon Golfer was tied at the top of the leaderboard then his errant tee shot on the Par3 18th wide left striking the Hyundai in the parking lot.... that 18th hole is a dandy closing hole with the tier green and 1st round pin placement in the far left corner

One of the local universities is ranked in the Top 20. They use my home course to practice and host competitions. I enjoy seeing those guys out there as they are really talented and always friendly.

At the close of the 1st round the USC team was +8 on the last 3 holes... and the Oregon Golfer was tied at the top of the leaderboard then his errant tee shot on the Par3 18th wide left striking the Hyundai in the parking lot.... that 18th hole is a dandy closing hole with the tier green and 1st round pin placement in the far left corner

just saw that this morning, rough finish for sure.

Good finish to the Western Intercollegiate this afternoon.

ACC Championship coming down to the second match, which was tied through 18. Kid from FSU is hitting his driver all over the place and scrambling to keep in it.

Coverage is on ACC Extra via the ESPN app, and its not particularly easy to watch. The only sounds are nature, background and the cameraman breathing. No commentary. No graphics. Well, they were occasionally showing the scoreboard page from the GolfStat site.

And Clemson just won with a birdie on the 21st hole.

Men's NCAA field is out.

Men's NCAA field is out.

Do you think they are allowing spectators? They are hosting the regional in Indiana about 30 minutes from me and would love to watch Texas play!

Do you think they are allowing spectators? They are hosting the regional in Indiana about 30 minutes from me and would love to watch Texas play!
I haven't seen anything definitive for golf, but the NCAA is allowing up to 50% capacity for other outdoor spring championships.

On the women's side, the Baton Rouge regional never saw a shot played. The top 6 seeds were advanced to the Championship round.

“Look, this is one of the most gut-wrenching decisions and announcements that I’ve ever been a part of,” said NCAA Committee representative Brad Hurlbut, the Director of Athletics at Fairleigh Dickinson, outside the clubhouse at the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional around 11:30 a.m. CDT.

“Even though the course is playable, it’s not playable at a championship level. Therefore, the top six teams that were seeded will advance, along with the top three individuals that were not on those six teams.”

The immediate area around the course had 1-2" of rain each day of scheduled competition, but missed out on the heavier totals (5+" in places in a day) seen in the region this week.

Announcement by the NCAA:

Last edited:
On the women's side, the Baton Rouge regional never saw a shot played. The top 6 seeds were advanced to the Championship round.

The immediate area around the course had 1-2" of rain each day of scheduled competition, but missed out on the heavier totals (5+" in places in a day) seen in the region this week.

I’m not in the camp that thinks the NCAA was purposely trying to screw over the women like the public/media narrative suggests.

However, I don’t understand at all why they couldn’t just postpone the event.....seems like a really stupid decision and maybe they thought because it was women’s no one would notice which is sexist if that is the case. But with what just happened with the women’s gym situation for the NCAA tourney they would have to be pretty dumb to be in that mindset.

However, I don’t understand at all why they couldn’t just postpone the event
Their event rules said competition could not extend past Wednesday. The next round isn't until May 21st; seems like they could have made an exception in this case.

The weather is going to be near perfect today and tomorrow, too -- upper 70s/low 80s and sunny.

Last edited:
I really feel like if the course was suitable to play and would not have been damaged then they should have let them play. This was a bad call and a bad look for the whoever made the final call.

Just read about this this morning. That has to be devastating, especially for the seniors.

NCAA Statement

The NCAA Division I Women's Golf Committee regrets that the 2021 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championships regional in Baton Rouge could not be conducted as scheduled this week. The University Club has taken on over 7 inches of rain in the past several days. The Division I Women’s Golf Committee, NCAA staff and the Games Committee in Baton Rouge have been in constant communication throughout the past several days about the course conditions that have led to this unprecedented and most difficult decision.

Committee policy states that since play could not take place Wednesday, advancement will be determined by the original seeding of teams used for selection to the 2021 championship, with the top six teams and top three individuals not on an advancing team going to the national championships. Those teams and individuals are as follows:
  • Advancing teams: LSU, Ole Miss, Baylor, Oregon, Maryland and Alabama.
  • Advancing individuals: Karen Fredgaard, Houston; Nataliya Guseva, Miami (Florida); and Hanna Alberto, Sam Houston.

Lame, even for a Mark Emmert-led NCAA organization.

Course conditions on Tuesday, from a Miami player:

Back