2021 devices, apps for gps, shot tracking: etc. iOS, android, wearable?

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What are some of the better options these days? I am looking for a full set of features in an easy to use and reliable setup. Whether that is an app for my phone/watch or a seperate device, I don't care. I just want it to work and work well. At a minimum I want GPS distances and visualizations of hole layout along with some kind of shot tracking. I will also use it to keep track of scores and metrics of my play (FIR, GIR, penalties, putts, etc.).

I have used arccos but did not like the screw in sensors that stuck out or missed shots. I did like the shot tracking and data when it worked. I have also used GolfShot Plus with my iPhone/watch. I mostly used it to track scores. I also carry a laser range finder.

Thanks for any ideas.

I have Arccos now and I love it and am never going back. But before that, I used the Grint. Was great for in round score/stat keeping, but is manual entry. The app has solid GPS and it worked seamlessly on my Apple Watch.

I use the Grint also, gives good stats. While on course it has good GPS that is reliable.

Everyone knows I'm a grint guy. Across wasn't a great fit with built in or screw in sensors, and I've thought about giving shotscope a deeper dive, but once I got used to entering things in thegrint the data collection, interface, and ease of access in the app is really addicting. There's so much in there. I point out things to people who have been using it for a year they don't even know about/utilize all the time. It's become essential to my bag, strategy, practice, and club/shot selections. A buddy uses it with his smartwatch pretty easily.

One of the things I love about the grint as someone who is always trying to perfect his course strategy/game management is the course and hole specific data. Can literally see how I do just about any specific thing on any exact course/hole with just a couple taps. See the scoring effect of fairways vs. not, which courses I do certain things better or worse at, and on and on. I constantly find more value in it. The shot charts with distance and proximities, and the date, hole, and result of each shot are great. And being able to scroll to a recent round and see every shot in order is great refresher on things. My memory sucks sometimes until I'm there looking at it again.

Last edited:
I would look at V1 golf. Great stats, strokes gained, watch compatible, auto tracking shots, easy to use

I've this Precision Pro Golf App installed on my phone, but I've yet to use it.

It does not have an Apple Watch app, so I don't know. Seems like it would be clumsy to have to haul the phone out, unlock, select club, put phone back on every stroke.

V1 Game looks like it gets pretty good reviews and does support the Apple Watch, so I may give that a try.

Can't live without my Garmin Approach S62. It does everything you said you were looking for and a few more things. Though hearing what kind of stuff the Grint does sounds pretty slick!

I use ShotScope V2 - the older version. Love it! Not only do I get GPS distances to tee but also hazards. It tracks my score with very little interaction on my part (have to enter the number of putts at the hole). The after round stats are great. GIR. FIR, dispersion for fairways, distance by club. I can isolate by course and club. The new strokes gained graphic on the app shows areas that need improvement.
There is a newer version V3 that is in color and has a smaller footprint on your wrist.

I use a Garmin watch. The data isn’t anywhere near as detailed as a lot of the mobile apps, but I have no desire to have to be continually fiddling with my phone during the round.

My next step up would be to go to Arccos and use their accessory that clips on the waistband so you don’t have to mess with your phone.

I've done 2 versions of shotscope and a couple of garmins.
I keep coming back to garmin. Have an approach s60 right now and love it.

I also use 18 birdies along with it, but have been thinking about switching to the grint.

EDIT I also use a rangefinder

Another Arcoss user checking in

Preface. I managed to get 2nd gen (non sub) version for a decent price and also managed to get the Caddie Link at 2nd preorder price so under $100.

I love it, the only thing I occasionally find it misses now is the odd tap in put but I just do a quick check as I am walking off the hole. It's definitely improving all the time and they are adding more features as time goes on. I do honestly wonder if they will reduce the sub though with the rest of the competition that is coming along (Shotscope / golf pads etc) Although I was out for a round with a buddy this weekend and he is using Golfpad and I found it annoying to have to keep waiting for him to "tag" his phone before every shot but I think that was him not just being more ready to play given it was his first time out with them. We were out in a group, 2 of which I had not met before so I was more conscious of not holding up play for that.

As above, I love Arcoss but really believe they will have to keep an eye on the competition and their pricing because of it.

In the past I have used The Grint, Uswing/SwinU and found the manual aspect annoying but at the time both useful.

I use shotscope V3. It is helpful toy get yardages but always thought the Data was lagging and it used to miss lots of shots. But they are starting to use strokes gained and the firmware is much better so you are able to see if the shot registered is a welcome improvement.

Just my garnin watch s20, and it tracks based in the manual selection of clubs. Some errors, but I just correct them after the round. Arccos is definitely on my radar tho

I use a Garmin S20. Does what I need.

It hasn't been used on the course yet, but I upgraded my old Garmin S4 watch to the S62 which I received as a Christmas present, so that will be my device for the next few years

I downloaded The Grint and V1 golf on my iPhone. Both have an Apple watch app. I will start with the free version of each.

I can’t bring myself to buy an additional wearable device. So far.

Arccos still appeals to me. Those darn sensors on the end of the clubs bug me. IDK. I might give it another try at some point. I would hope they are continuing to improve. Link would be of interest if I went this way.

I picked up a Shot Scope V3 watch the other day. So far it looks pretty cool considering I've never used anything other than golflogix on my phone.
It came with 16 sensors also.
The sensors screwed into the ends of my clubs except for my putter... apparently that's counter-weighted.
The watch paired with the app on my phone and its firmware updated as soon as it was able to.

I haven't put it into play yet. Maybe I'll be able to this weekend.

Everyone knows I'm a grint guy. Across wasn't a great fit with built in or screw in sensors, and I've thought about giving shotscope a deeper dive, but once I got used to entering things in thegrint the data collection, interface, and ease of access in the app is really addicting. There's so much in there. I point out things to people who have been using it for a year they don't even know about/utilize all the time. It's become essential to my bag, strategy, practice, and club/shot selections. A buddy uses it with his smartwatch pretty easily.

One of the things I love about the grint as someone who is always trying to perfect his course strategy/game management is the course and hole specific data. Can literally see how I do just about any specific thing on any exact course/hole with just a couple taps. See the scoring effect of fairways vs. not, which courses I do certain things better or worse at, and on and on. I constantly find more value in it. The shot charts with distance and proximities, and the date, hole, and result of each shot are great. And being able to scroll to a recent round and see every shot in order is great refresher on things. My memory sucks sometimes until I'm there looking at it again.

I've been using but don't get proximity to the hole and distances of specific shots, just GIR, #putts, fairways miss left/right, nothing about proximity to the pin. It appears it has a shot-by-shot tracker built in? How are those features accessed? Guess I need to do some testing this week to find them

I've been using but don't get proximity to the hole and distances of specific shots, just GIR, #putts, fairways miss left/right, nothing about proximity to the pin. It appears it has a shot-by-shot tracker built in? How are those features accessed? Guess I need to do some testing this week to find them
Yeah, you have to track your shots to get the proximity charts. I tried to do an on course how-to once with that stuff, but it was a bit of a fail. It was hard with glares, changing views, and basically doing it like I would normally. Might try a screen recorded one or something.

I am pretty simple. I use a Garmin G10 supplemented periodically by a range finder. The G10 provides distance to hazards, front, back and middle of greens, and layup locations which is plenty for me. It doesn't provide overviews of the holes but I get all I need.

I don't track each shot. Frankly I wear reading glasses so it is a pain in the ass putting stuff into an application for me. I know that there are some automated things for that but I haven't tried them.

I did use the Grint App alot only because I pay for the World Handicap and it keeps it updated.
It allows for multiple groups also which would be cool at say the Morgan Cup!

i use my Garmin s60 and the garmin app. I did like the Grint app put inputting all the data is a pain when it is automatic on garmin. I just think the garmin app looks dated. Can't wait to get out there and start golfing

Yeah, you have to track your shots to get the proximity charts. I tried to do an on course how-to once with that stuff, but it was a bit of a fail. It was hard with glares, changing views, and basically doing it like I would normally. Might try a screen recorded one or something.
Is there functionality within the app to track each shot as you? i.e. pull the up the gps so it knows where you are, pick your club, hit, rinse repeat?

Would love to see an on course demo (and will be checking into myself once I'm not killing time on the forum during conference calls..)

Is there functionality within the app to track each shot as you? i.e. pull the up the gps so it knows where you are, pick your club, hit, rinse repeat?

Would love to see an on course demo (and will be checking into myself once I'm not killing time on the forum during conference calls..)

Screenshot_20210316-145620_TheGrint.jpgScreenshot_20210316-145646_TheGrint.jpg

Yep. That's basically it. You pick your club, it generally knows where you are, and obviously to start a hole, but you can scroll to a bunch of lie options. You can pick your target and intended yardage, but it is NOT NECESSARY. In the end that doesn't matter because you scroll to the result where you end up, and it records THAT. So you're basically just picking your club on 95% of shots. Start of the hole it knows you're on the tee box, after that it knows you're where you said your tee shot ended up. Only one I ever have to do much is a layup. Then it compiles all the tracked shot data in the app and their website for you to view in a variety of ways.

Last edited:
Back