I’d like to get my handicap under 10. Currently at a 13 after shaving 2 strokes. I’d also like to finally pull the trigger on new irons but will probably wait for the new Ping i59 to be released

So, don't want to jinx it, but feeling VERY good about things...

Ball striking - had a ZERO sh@nk round in league, which (sadly) has not happened in awhile. I did have a few shots where Sh@nk Anxiety (Sh@nxiety?) crept in at address, and I made myself back away and clear my mind.

Contact / swing path - I made a couple small adjustments and got rid of the big fade that was robbing yardage. I'd been in the 180-190y range with driver and aiming well left just to keep it in play. Now I'm back to 225y carry with rollout to 240ish, HUGE game changer for me. I was tired of going driver/5w on par 4s.

Mental game - I've settled on a preshot routine that fits me quite well. Assess lie, choose shot and club, just a couple of baseball style swings to feel the weight load on my right foot and then transfer to my left, choose target, address, glance at target, go. From the time I start walking up to address to when I pull the trigger is probably 5 seconds or less - no more standing there over the ball worrying.

Stuff to work on:

Yardages - a month ago, I was carrying 7i about 135y. It's carrying 150y on average now. I need to get on the range and sort out all my yardages now that I'm making solid contact.

Wedges - making good contact but not seeing the yardage gains that I am seeing with the other clubs. I think I may have them too far up in the stance and am adding loft.

So, don't want to jinx it, but feeling VERY good about things...

Ball striking - had a ZERO sh@nk round in league, which (sadly) has not happened in awhile. I did have a few shots where Sh@nk Anxiety (Sh@nxiety?) crept in at address, and I made myself back away and clear my mind.

Contact / swing path - I made a couple small adjustments and got rid of the big fade that was robbing yardage. I'd been in the 180-190y range with driver and aiming well left just to keep it in play. Now I'm back to 225y carry with rollout to 240ish, HUGE game changer for me. I was tired of going driver/5w on par 4s.

Mental game - I've settled on a preshot routine that fits me quite well. Assess lie, choose shot and club, just a couple of baseball style swings to feel the weight load on my right foot and then transfer to my left, choose target, address, glance at target, go. From the time I start walking up to address to when I pull the trigger is probably 5 seconds or less - no more standing there over the ball worrying.

Stuff to work on:

Yardages - a month ago, I was carrying 7i about 135y. It's carrying 150y on average now. I need to get on the range and sort out all my yardages now that I'm making solid contact.

Wedges - making good contact but not seeing the yardage gains that I am seeing with the other clubs. I think I may have them too far up in the stance and am adding loft.
Substantial progress right there. Good work!

Goals update:
  • Bring home the Grandaddy belt
  • Play more rounds than last year (>32)
  • Full swing practice at least twice per week
  • Make an eagle
  • Make 3 or more birdies in a round DONE (3)
  • Break 80 (4 low rounds of 82 this year, low nine +1 37) DONE
  • Single digit cap (13.2 at EOY)
I knocked out my break 80 goal with a 76 yesterday! Have been getting in the practice and am well on pace to play more rounds than last year. My cap is also down to 10.3, so there is hope on that lofty goal!

Knocked down another one!
  • Play more rounds than last year (>32)
  • Make an eagle
  • Break 80 (4 low rounds of 82 this year, low nine +1 37) DONE (+4 76)
  • Single digit cap (13.2 at EOY) DONE (low of 9.6)
I made it to a sub-10 handicap (9.6)! That’s an all-time low. I’m behind on my practice sessions and maybe it’s reflecting in my game, which hasn’t been sharp lately. I lipped out and eagle and left a looong eagle putt to tap-in range, so I’m optimistic about that goal. Closing in on my rounds goal for the year too!

Looking ahead...
  • My USGA cap is currently at 15.9. I'd like to get to (and stay) in single digits - so, get <10 and finish 2021 there. My all-time low is a 6.3, so I know I can get there.
  • Take my 9-hole league cap from 7 down to 3.
  • Finish in the top 3 in our club championship.
I firmly believe all 3 are achievable if I put in the effort.

Let's hear those goals THP...

Update…

-Handicap is at 14.3. 6 of the last 10 rounds are in the 80s, which is good, but I need to drive it lower if I want to get below 10 this year.

-League cap is still 7.

Overall, ball striking is much improved but I’m still occasionally dealing with blow up holes - not just doubles, but triples and worse. They’re usually mental breakdowns. I need to commit to slowing down and making sure I don’t turn a 5 into an 8.

1 Have Fun!
2 Play more golf
3 Qualify for the State Am or State Open

I haven’t tried in a 7 years to qualify for a state event. This is the year.

1. I am having a ton of fun this summer and will have more coming soon!

2.I am playing way more this summer even if it is 9 holes here and there.

3. Didn’t qualify but glad I tried.

I have a mid season change to my goals. I have decided to establish a handicap so that has become my primary goal. I haven’t had a handicap since 2008. I was a 13 back then. I’m guessing I ‘ll comecin around 16-18 now. Just have to get the scores in.

Cap revised down to 13.9; down from a high of 17.5 on April 27. It's certainly trending in the right direction.

I've got 5 rounds in the 90s to knock off the handicap list; hopefully by next revision.

Knocked down another one!
  • Play more rounds than last year (>32) DONE
  • Make an eagle
  • Break 80 (4 low rounds of 82 this year, low nine +1 37) DONE (+4 76)
  • Single digit cap (13.2 at EOY) DONE (low of 8.7)
I met my rounds goal for the year! Still behind on my practice sessions, but squeezing them in where I can. Had 2 eagle putts this weekend that I left for gimme birdies. Goals are going well and my game is strong!

Back