This is a tough one. I still have all the passion in the world to get good at this game but I have to rein that in or the game becomes a focus of failure instead of a source of relaxation and enjoyment.

So I guess my goal in 2021 is to find a balance. I'd like to see my scoring and average differential drop at least a little - but not beat myself up if it doesn't.
Have fun above all else!

I hope to further my golf introduction to a long time friend, I know the line between struggling to learn the game and hopelessness is fine.
With a little luck I’ll be able to introduce another friend or two.
My own game doesn’t really matter, maybe I’ll reach a P.B.

Get back to single digit (real not vanity) handicap

Handicap is currently 22. Get it below 20.
Play at least 20 rounds in 2021. Played 19 in 2020
No rounds of 99 or higher, vbs 4 in 2020.
Set a new PB, currently 89.
Tee it up at least once with at least one other THPer.

Looking ahead...
  • My USGA cap is currently at 15.9. I'd like to get to (and stay) in single digits - so, get <10 and finish 2021 there. My all-time low is a 6.3, so I know I can get there.
  • Take my 9-hole league cap from 7 down to 3.
  • Finish in the top 3 in our club championship.
I firmly believe all 3 are achievable if I put in the effort.

Let's hear those goals THP...

Well, it's not quite halftime, but it's past the end of the first quarter, so we'll go with hockey periods instead, and say this is the first intermission update...

Cap is still at 15.9. Not seeing the progress yet.

I've only played one round in the 9-hole league; so no movement there.

I went thru a HORRIBLE case of the sh@nks and am just now recovering. It is a super demoralizing affliction if you've not had it... one that leaves you standing there on the range or in the fairway after yet another throw to 3rd base considering why in the $@%! you'd ever consider taking up this game and spending time and money on it.

Over the past couple weeks I've gone for a lesson and hit the range a ton, and I think I've sorted it out and am back to solid contact. Shot 39/46-85 yesterday with only one sh@nk on a lazy swing.

I still think the goals above are achievable and will continue hitting the range often.

How is everyone else doing?

You're gonna get there man, you've got the right plan.

My goal this year was to keep my cap under 10. I got to 9.3 last year for the first time, so I really want to maintain that. Key to making that happen, my secondary goals are to improve my iron play (particularly short irons and wedges) and short game. To stay here, I really need to be consistently giving myself opportunities in this range.

So far I'm still under 10 but just barely. The iron play is my focus right now, as it just hasn't been good enough from primo driving positions.

I’m going to try and have more fun. I have a bad habit of putting pressure on myself and grinding.

My goal this year was to keep my cap under 10. I got to 9.3 last year for the first time, so I really want to maintain that. Key to making that happen, my secondary goals are to improve my iron play (particularly short irons and wedges) and short game. To stay here, I really need to be consistently giving myself opportunities in this range.

Funny thing about short irons and wedges...

I was at the club yesterday afternoon. Last year the pro/owner put in a wedge area on the range with four targets at 45, 55, 75 and 85 yards each, and a special hitting area.

He had moved the hitting area up a bit to plant some new grass so I asked him for the updated yardages. He told me, then said "It's been a year, and the only two people I've seen use the wedge area are you, and myself - no one else uses it."

That's amazing to me - no one seems to want to get better at the shots inside 100y. I love those shots - it's great having options on a 75y shot. I could go full 58, or 75% on the 54, or take PW and just chip the thing to run out, etc. Not sure why people want to stand there and bang 70 drivers instead of working on the short game.

my goal is to get my Cap under 20 it is currently 26.
my 2nd goal is to beat my PB of 88 but I think they are both connected in reality.

I was at the club yesterday afternoon. Last year the pro/owner put in a wedge area on the range with four targets at 45, 55, 75 and 85 yards each, and a special hitting area.

He had moved the hitting area up a bit to plant some new grass so I asked him for the updated yardages. He told me, then said "It's been a year, and the only two people I've seen use the wedge area are you, and myself - no one else uses it."

That's amazing to me - no one seems to want to get better at the shots inside 100y. I love those shots - it's great having options on a 75y shot. I could go full 58, or 75% on the 54, or take PW and just chip the thing to run out, etc. Not sure why people want to stand there and bang 70 drivers instead of working on the short game.
WOW!? If I still lived up that way it would be 3 of us and you'd get sick of seeing me. My main course has a little 4 hole free layout behind the range and I'll often go back there and set up various targets to work on dialing in my wedge/short iron partial shot matrix. What course are you referring to Tony? If it's not private I need to take my son in law over there next time I'm up that way. It's by far the facet of his game that kill his scorecards, but like too many others he doesn't work on it at all.

Man I wish I had that setup! My nearest range has one 50 yd flag and that's it. And you're right, most people I see at the range blast away with the driver and long clubs for more than half their time, whereas I think I hit 2 drivers the last time I was at the range. And really mostly just because I like hitting driver.

More and more time with the game and putting up some lower scores has made me realize that while the driver can get you into a lot of trouble if it's really bad, as long as it's decent you can generally get around. You don't need a ton of precision that would necessitate a lot of reps. The irons and wedges on the other hand, if you are more precise that will directly translate to shorter putts, more opportunities for birdies and pars, and therefore lower scores. Put your practice time where it will pay off!!

Well, my original goal was no rounds over 100. That didn't last long.

So, my new goal is to finally find a swing that I can use in perpetuity. I want Inbee Park's swing.

Get Handicap down below 15.0
Win The Morgan Cup

WOW!? If I still lived up that way it would be 3 of us and you'd get sick of seeing me. My main course has a little 4 hole free layout behind the range and I'll often go back there and set up various targets to work on dialing in my wedge/short iron partial shot matrix. What course are you referring to Tony? If it's not private I need to take my son in law over there next time I'm up that way. It's by far the facet of his game that kill his scorecards, but like too many others he doesn't work on it at all.

It's Oak Brook, just out east of Edwardsville. It's not Augusta but it's a really cool family-run course with 3 separate 9s (east, west and north).

There's a solid range and practice area - again, not Augusta, a little rough around the edges, but the vibes are really good there. Smiles all around. I play there quite often.

Man I wish I had that setup! My nearest range has one 50 yd flag and that's it. And you're right, most people I see at the range blast away with the driver and long clubs for more than half their time, whereas I think I hit 2 drivers the last time I was at the range. And really mostly just because I like hitting driver.

Yeah, then when we get out on the course, my buddies have a 65y shot left and have no idea what to do with it, LOL.

"I don't have a club for this!"

Well, yeah, you do, what you don't actually have is a SHOT for this...

More and more time with the game and putting up some lower scores has made me realize that while the driver can get you into a lot of trouble if it's really bad, as long as it's decent you can generally get around. You don't need a ton of precision that would necessitate a lot of reps. The irons and wedges on the other hand, if you are more precise that will directly translate to shorter putts, more opportunities for birdies and pars, and therefore lower scores. Put your practice time where it will pay off!!

Agreed. I'm not long off the tee but I can keep it in play. The guys will crow about outdriving me, but 10 minutes later I'm up and down for par and they're in pocket for double bogey.

It's Oak Brook, just out east of Edwardsville. It's not Augusta but it's a really cool family-run course with 3 separate 9s (east, west and north).

There's a solid range and practice area - again, not Augusta, a little rough around the edges, but the vibes are really good there. Smiles all around. I play there quite often.
Thanks. We do play there sometimes when I'm up that way. You're spot on about how friendly the vibe is. Not Augusta but some challenges on all 3 nines and good value too.

Thanks. We do play there sometimes when I'm up that way. You're spot on about how friendly the vibe is. Not Augusta but some challenges on all 3 nines and good value too.

Great value... the East 9 is kinda the 9 of last resort since it floods often. West and North are fun and the greens are always in good shape.

I got a walking membership there this year and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I would like to have a round of 66.66% GIR, would also like for my bad scores to be in the high 80s instead of them being my better scores

I had set some lofty goals:
  • Bring home the Grandaddy belt
  • Play more rounds than I did this year (>32)
  • Full swing practice at least twice per week
  • Make an eagle
  • Make 3 or more birdies in a round DONE
  • Break 80 (4 low rounds of 82 this year, low nine +1 37)
  • Single digit cap (13.2 now)
Hit my first goal with 3 birdies in today’s round! I’m well on pace with rounds, having played 10.5 already. I want to do more practice sessions, but I’m doing pretty well so far. Low round of the year is 81 and my cap is down to 11.8, so I’m trending in the right direction!

Consistently hit the fairway, especially with my driver. I decided 2021 is the year to get serious and better and have been working hard to keep my shots in front of me. It would also be nice to lose less golfballs.

My goals are to get playing again, do better on limiting penalties, and practice short game as often as I can. Nothing too terribly high, but with the time off I have had I can't expect too much.

My goals are to get playing again, do better on limiting penalties, and practice short game as often as I can. Nothing too terribly high, but with the time off I have had I can't expect too much.

Get after it buddy! Miss playing with you and the guys out there. Hope all is going well for you.

Get after it buddy! Miss playing with you and the guys out there. Hope all is going well for you.
I miss our rounds at Padden. Was always fun. Hope the same for you my friend.

I had a goal over the winter to go over my Grint stats and come up with some specific goals. I half did that as nothing is written down, but I know where I need to improve.

High level, I need to hit 1-2 more fairways per round and get closer to 50% with minimal big misses. Other big need is to get some confidence putting inside 5 feet.

At the end of the day those stats are a means to an end. I really wanted to have my cap firmly in the single digits, as in under 8. I'm currently sitting at 9.x

I also wanted to break 80 more often, meaning my good rounds are getting better than before. So far 1 of 4 rounds this year were sub 80 so I'm happy with that.

I have a big golf trip coming up so that will be a thorough examination of where I'm at and what needs to be done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1. Partial wedges -- not as consistent with my swings and distances as I want to be.
2. Swing path -- still too much out-to-in, particularly with irons. This needs to improve.
3. Break 80 a few more times -- did it twice from 1994-2019, did it twice in 2020; let's shoot for 3 times the rest of this year.
4. Maintain a single-digit handicap -- going the wrong way right now...

Last edited:
Back