I searched and did not find a goals thread. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

Thankfully 2021 won't be 2020. :D So what are your golf goals for the upcoming NEW year? I am a believer in setting goals and enjoy reading what THPers are thinking.
My level of arrogance and self promotion caused me to start a thread dedicated entirely to me and my goal. 😂. My goal is scratch or bust (no that is not a physical reference).

Stay healthy
Improve a few swing things and hit a few specific target goals
Travel to play/play when travel more
Meet more awesome golfy people
Couple things I want to play/compete in
Play even half as much as this year
Have fun with it all - be more serious and not so serious about it :p

*guarantee I'll edit this once or twice as the thoughts swirl and bubble

I think for me the main thing I want to improve is to get rid of that shot every few holes that totally effs up my score. I wanted last year to reduce my handicap and that failed miserably so I want to focus next year on a few specific things: getting my approach shots closer and when I don't, put my greenside chips and pitches closer than I have this year. Also need to stop with all the different swing thoughts and concentrate on just one.

Get scores into the 70s at my home course. Plan is to really improve my pitching and chipping skills. Course has a lot of contours and elevaion changes around a lot of the greens, so every leave is a different shot and rollout. Slowly getting more better at different leaves.

I want to shave about 5 strokes and get back to where I was.

I want to play more
I want to practice more
I want my hdcp to be 4 or less
I want to play in some local tournaments
I want to win the Morgan Cup

Stay Healthy and still Golf.

I'm jealous of all these goals.
Some are more realistic than others but if we are setting goals might as well set it high right?

I want to win the belt.

I guess it is that time already. I was pretty happy with most of my game last year and got to meet up with 2 of my Grandaddy teammates to play.
So for 2021:
1. I want to get my GIR up to at least 60% or better
2. I want to keep my Putts per round average to 30 or less.
3. I want to continue to play different courses when the opportunity arises.
4. I need to play with some more THPer here in Kansas and elsewhere. Since @GoldenBuff has invited me up already for next year I really want to swing a vacation to Montana for some golf.
5. I want to break par again and shoot at least one round in the 60's
6. Meet up with my Grandaddy teammates to play.
7. Have more fun than I already do playing!!!!

My main golf goal is to take care of my golfers elbow at the start of the year. I'm playing graphite, icing, using a theragun, and using compression to avoid a layoff from golf but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and take a month off to get healed so it's no longer a hinderance to my game.

Performance goals are to shoot an 82 or lower and consistently get my scores into the 80's. Last years goal was to break 90 and I now have an 87 and 89 under my belt. I'm planning to get a coach this season so I have a training plan and start getting fit into clubs.

Other than that I just plan to enjoy the game as much as possible and not sweat the bad rounds. I'm planning to take my dad on a golf trip this year as he's a lifelong golf fanatic and very excited that my brother and I are becoming just as passionate about the game.

Some are more realistic than others but if we are setting goals might as well set it high right?

Makes sense and you can break them out into short term and longterm goals.

Looks like 3 would be short term, two would be longterm no?

I hope that next year will be a continuation.

I had thought this year would be but I waited too long to get help, so next year I hope to continue with my lessons. I want to continue to improve, to play, and to take advantage of playing with a diverse group of fun people at my home course.

A bit more specifically I'm still looking to break 90, I hit 90 on the dot last year before my first THP event, lost my swing and got it back to low 90's late summer this year. We'll see if I get there but I'm enjoying golf as much as I ever have and that matters more to me than the numbers on the card at the end of the day. The numbers still matter, but fun should be the main measurement I think.

I want to play more
I want to practice more
The first four are definitely doable. 😳😂

My goal is simple, just to enjoy the game and have fun. Because with no enjoyment or fun I'll quit playing.

The other would be getting out with my friends to play.

1. 45% GIRs: I didn't get to my 40% goal for this year, but did get into the mid-30s with improved iron play. Let's aim higher this time.
2. Short game: proximity to the hole stinks.
3. Swing path: too much out-to-in right now.
4. Restart and stick with the Super Speed training.
5. Big plans at our new house: simulator setup in the old garage/my new office, and a legit short game practice area (minus a real green, this year). Plenty of space for all of this now, and it has me pumped to practice more regularly.
6. La Costa.

Last edited:
Raise my GIR per round. I am currently at 4.5 and I would like to double that by the end of 2021.

The 4 hdcp is a bit of a stretch probably the least attainable ;)
I hope you got my light hearted joke about the MC. Unlike some of your cronies, my allegiance doesn’t just flip like some petty thug who has been caught on tape by the FBI, LOL.

I honestly don’t think that a 4 index is a stretch. Your game definitely can go well beyond that.

@GoldenBuff. Thanks for starting this thread.

For 2021:

I want to stay healthy. For the second year in a row, I dealt with an injury. Fortunately, my shoulder bursitis this year arose in November at the point where my season had ultimately ended because of the weather. I foresee no issues with the shoulder for next season.
I want to have fun every time I play regardless of how I am playing. I accomplished that goal this season.
I want to play golf with THPers. It was supposed to happen this year, but 2020 and travel restrictions and mandatory quarantine issues put that out of reach.
I want to break 80 again. 83 was my best 19 hole score this season but I had a 9 hole best of 2 over (only played 9 that day), so I know this goal can be achieved.
I want to eliminate OTT. I have been playing golf forever (at least since 1972) with a OTT tendency in my swing. It's time (I haven't had a lesson since 2000) to end this swing killing tendency.
I want to be able to hit a draw. Not necessarily on every shot. Just so I can if I need to. I hit 2 draws this season, both unintentional and both with fairway woods.

I want to play more
I want to practice more

Yeah basically these..

Back