So this year at age 63 I played my best golf ever. So, I'm not giving up on playing even better. This year the focus was on hitting more approach shots closer to the hole. Primarily I got there by focusing on ball striking and alignment and made big strides.

COVID-19 shelter in place has made it hard to keep up the conditioning. Changes in routines are hard, especially this direction with having to get more creative on how and when. My goal is to press forward on my conditioning under current shelter in place restrictions, but be aggressive in responding to returning to the gym and other outdoor activities as they open up.

I'm also looking forward to the short game practice facilities opening up to focus on sharpening those skills. It's been 9 months now since any of us out here has been able to get onto a green to practice putting, chip around a green, or get into a bunker to practice. I generally spend about 1 hour three times a week practicing these shots. About all I've been able to do is roll putts on a 10 foot rug at home.

Ok so some more granular goals here...
  • Play more rounds than I did this year (>32)
  • Full swing practice at least twice per week
  • Make an eagle
  • Make 3 or more birdies in a round
  • Break 80 (4 low rounds of 82 this year, low nine +1 37)
  • Single digit cap (13.2 now)

My goal for next year is to move back to my home state (Indiana), join a club, and play enough to get all my money’s worth. Playing wise, I’d like to add back enough of my lost swing speed to make my playing partners grumble and tell me to move back from the seniors tees.

I looked at my 2020 goals and decided for 2021 to keep things more simple:

1. Improve my swing. I enjoy working on the swing and want to continue to develop a smooth, easy tempo swing with increasingly more consistent outcomes.
2. Enter as many competitive golf opportunities as possible: course championship(s), pro-ams, state mid-am and senior-am, and so on. I love these.
3. I want to stay meaningfully engaged with the THP community. THP adds value to my golf passion, and I enjoy learning and connecting with other passionate golfers.
4. Stay healthy.

The one I am going to work on the hardest is more consistency with my driver swing. I feel like it's what is holding me back at the moment.
I also really want to play more often and at as many new courses as possible!

Lots of possibilities for next year and I'm excited for it!

Shoot a round in the 60s
Continue to improve my iron play and short game
Get in a THP Event/Experience, its been way too long since my last one.

Get my handicap down to 15. That's about 25% reduction. I did 40% last year but that's not realistic as I was just starting off.
Break 85 and obviously 90 in route to that. By the end of the year I think it is a realistic goal to be in the 80s at least 33-50% of my rounds.
Improve my chipping and putting. I am sick of flubbing multiple chips a round.
I think better chipping will lead to better putting being closer. But I need to improve this is well.
Have golf continue to be as fun as it has been this year. I can't recall being something hooking me as much as golf in the last year.
Play more. I hope to get 50 18 hole rounds this year. I'd like

My main golf goal is to take care of my golfers elbow at the start of the year. I'm playing graphite, icing, using a theragun, and using compression to avoid a layoff from golf but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and take a month off to get healed so it's no longer a hinderance to my game.

Performance goals are to shoot an 82 or lower and consistently get my scores into the 80's. Last years goal was to break 90 and I now have an 87 and 89 under my belt. I'm planning to get a coach this season so I have a training plan and start getting fit into clubs.

Other than that I just plan to enjoy the game as much as possible and not sweat the bad rounds. I'm planning to take my dad on a golf trip this year as he's a lifelong golf fanatic and very excited that my brother and I are becoming just as passionate about the game.
Look into Voltaren - it really helped me. And no fat shots!

Several goals for me in 2021:

Finally get my swing corrected enough that I can hit more fairways with consistency.
Break 90 on a regular basis. That will come after correcting #1 once and for all. Would love to score into the low 80's on the regular, I know I can get there.
Tee it up again with #TeamParadise, would like to tee it up with any THP'er of course 👊
Play any new course that I can, need to branch out from my home course(s) for sure.

Last edited:
Simple. Break 80. 🙏🏾😩

2020 was a good year for me and I accomplished goals that I had wanted to hit. I hope 2021 is just as good with my golf game!

1-My handicap just dropped to under 10 a 2021 goal is to go lower and keep it single digit.
2-More rounds in the 70's-no more really good front 9's and then the back 9 goes haywire
3-Keep my lesson's going and get even better off the Tee 2020 was really learning to hit the driver well
4-Play more competition golf my first time ever doing this is next Sat my goal is not to be last in my group
5-Defend being the AZTHP golf league champ :ROFLMAO:
6-Hopefully make another THP event if I am lucky enough

I just want to play more in 2021 than I did in 2020.

Get to and maintain a 2.0 index. I am currently a 3.0 that but that is a result of one great round I was mostly in the 3.5-4.8 range this year.
Break par 2 times.
Qualify for State Sr Am if eligible (I turn 55 next May)
Qualify for State Mid Amateur (definite stretch goal)
Qualify for Match Play in Club Championship. Usually 40 or so people for 8 spots.

I've thought about this a lot, and I think my goal at the end of 2021 is to have a handicap with a service that is 15 or lower. I have a long way to go, and am trying to map out a path starting in the offseason.

I want to play as much as possible, balancing coaching a 14u baseball team.

Fully rehab my shoulder (April)
Play/practice more with fewer months in my 2021 season
Be more consistent.... stop the endless 38 - 47 or 46 - 37 rounds and avoid those 45-48 rounds

Like @leftshot, I'm in my sixties and played my best golf ever this year. Made most of my goals last year, so for 2021:

1. Stay healthy.
  2. Play more rounds than last year (11)
  3. I took five strokes off my handicap last year. I want to repeat that to get to 17.
  4. Set a new personal best, currently 89.
  5. Improve putting average (currently 36.9.)
  6. Improve FIR (currently 40%.)
  7. Improve GIR (currently 18%.)
  8. Reduce penalty strokes/round (currently 3.5.)

In 2021 I’d like to

stay healthy from injury and from illness
shoot even par on 18
Shoot 85 or better in my state amateur qualifier
Hit a hole in one
Compete in club tournaments (first time member)
Play with THPers

My goal for next year is to move back to my home state (Indiana), join a club, and play enough to get all my money’s worth. Playing wise, I’d like to add back enough of my lost swing speed to make my playing partners grumble and tell me to move back from the seniors tees.

not sure where you are moving to in Indiana, but if you wanna get a round in ever let me know!

I just wanna play more. I’m too lazy to put in the work to reach any score based goals.

I just wanna play more. I’m too lazy to put in the work to reach any score based goals.
We will make both happen, in a couple of months :p

Help my daughter play more and get back into high school golf after Covid canceled her freshman season. She has the best on-course attitude of anyone I’ve played with and I’d be a fool not to nourish her love of the game.

Be alive to see 2022? Being ill changes your outlook.

I have played enough golf finally for my HC (unofficial) to trend the way I’m currently playing. Lower? WTF? I understand that it only takes 40% of your most recent scores, but anyone can see that I was either in the 70’s or 90+ all year. Not a single round in the 80’s.

So screw it, I know it takes on a life if it’s own and only represents your ability on good days but I’d feel a little silly listing 7 as my HC and posting a 104.

I’d rather just say, on good days I’m decent on bad days I’m an utter hack. I go throwing out 7HC and I go over 90? Yeah, no.
I really wish they’d just average out the last 20 rounds. For someone that’s only played 12ish rounds a year for the past 2 years, I’m either on or I’m not. There’s no middle ground. I either am mid 70’s or even less and Covid virtual high fiving everyone after the round or I look like someone shot my dog and my score is 90+

Back