EXPERIENCE 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

I could dig this setup but I’d want a 4i. I don’t feel right with less than a 3i in my bag, but can forgive that as today’s 4i’s are the same loft or less.
Their starting point for the combo is a 3i so you'd be right at home!

Their starting point for the combo is a 3i so you'd be right at home!

I love a nice 5.8* 3i. Should be fun with my lower CHS, lol. I’m seeing 4i’s as low as 18*. Yeesh. That’s a 1-2i when I was starting out.

I love a nice 5.8* 3i. Should be fun with my lower CHS, lol. I’m seeing 4i’s as low as 18*. Yeesh. That’s a 1-2i when I was starting out.
Apex 3i in the Apex combo is 19* and the 4i is 21*. So maybe a little more palatable for ya!

Apex 3i in the Apex combo is 19* and the 4i is 21*. So maybe a little more palatable for ya!

I was poking as you well know, lol. I know the lofts but I’m not opposed to a 5* 0 iron or whatever they want to call it. I’ll still hit it too high, but that’s a me thing.

That hits home. I went into an event out of golf shape and paid for it. I’d played three rounds prior that year. I won’t sign up for an event again unless I have the time leading into it to at least get the rust out (although traditionally those have been some of my best rounds)

It’s still pretty embarrassing to play worse than your partner who is 5 HC points above you or close to it.

I think it comes down to me playing enough in any given year to have my HC adjust to my current abilities. Take the end of this year, I played to - my last 54 holes or so. I’d have felt bad entering an event then as a 5. I was playing better than that.

Conversely early summer 2019 I was a 10 that was playing like a 15-20. It would be nice if the WHC committee could figure out a way to put some recency bias into their algorithm. For those of us that only play 12ish times a year, it matters. A lot. If I’m hot I’m decent. If I’m not, I’m hot trash.

Totally get you. Usually spring is the "relearn how to play" before summer hits and I play more to a 20 HC until I get my head out of my ass. This year, in addition to a work out regiment focused on golf movements, also signed up for virtual golf league from Jan to March to keep me in the swing of things and use as new gear testing grounds. So far I've gone from driver SS in the 106-108 mph spiking to 111 during the summer to 112-114 mph spiking to 116 mph so far just last Tuesday. More work to do but trending in the right direction.

Totally get you. Usually spring is the "relearn how to play" before summer hits and I play more to a 20 HC until I get my head out of my ass. This year, in addition to a work out regiment focused on golf movements, also signed up for virtual golf league from Jan to March to keep me in the swing of things and use as new gear testing grounds. So far I've gone from driver SS in the 106-108 mph spiking to 111 during the summer to 112-114 mph spiking to 116 mph so far just last Tuesday. More work to do but trending in the right direction.

116? Getting downright smitery. I dunno if I can hit that anymore. I use the 115 as the upper end of my range right now.

Take my advice though. Don’t sacrifice anything over distance. Golf has taught me I can top a tee ball 150 yards and most of the time I can get there on my second. So a bad shot is a chance to hit a good one and get par and move on.

I spent a winter 2017/18 using the Superspeed program. I swung a club on a sim at least twice a week all winter. Went from 121 max to 133 max. Didn’t matter, with one course record defying round, I was worse for it. I gave up all feel for the game. I’d just step up and crank it 300+ carry and hit the next shot. Fun when they go straight but 5* offline is a lot more at 350 than 250.

It may have worked if I’d have not tried to crank irons too.

So chase speed and distance, but don’t do it at the expense of being a golfer.

So chase speed and distance, but don’t do it at the expense of being a golfer.

Very good point. My goal was to get to 115 for my gamer swing. Not looking to go long drive territory . What I have found is the more I have increased swing speed, the better my contact and control has become. Or rather, the more I have focused on better sequencing and contact by swinging more aggressively and stop trying to place the balk, the more speed I have gained. It's not all training for sure.

Very good point. My goal was to get to 115 for my gamer swing. Not looking to go long drive territory . What I have found is the more I have increased swing speed, the better my contact and control has become. Or rather, the more I have focused on better sequencing and contact by swinging more aggressively and stop trying to place the balk, the more speed I have gained. It's not all training for sure.

You are doing it right then. In my experience it’s very hard to control anything north of 125 or so. This isn’t just my swing, it’s everyone I’ve known that’s got there.

Just know there is a definite line (person dependent) where they are chasing distance versus better golfing.

I didn’t think the courses required much bombing. It was more like there’s the fairway and there’s the preferred landing area...oh hey, don’t be a dumba** and miss all of that stuff way left or right into the trouble (that’s where I hit my ball all day in singles). So you’ll be able to play less than driver on some holes and comfortably get to the good spots. And on the occasional hole where extra distance matters you’ll have gas in the tank to get there too

Any other year I would say driver but these irons are going to be something special. I'm still fighting inside my own head whether I buy a set of them knowing full well I have a new set coming in December as well. But that's how incredible they sounded during the presentation that we got. Now getting all the great info/numbers from the tech studio and from THPers that have hit them is making it even harder to resist jumping in.

There is something else that I'm really excited about too! Still too early to talk about it though :censored:
The irons have sounded incredible with the testing coming out if the Tech Studio, plus the talk with @DNevsCG . I can understand you wanting to jump in!!

Also, cant wait for this teaser 🔥🔥🔥

After all the streams this week and especially yesterday, I want in on playing the crew....

I just looked at my Facebook memories and it was 1 year ago today that I was selected to be the Captain of the Grandaddy!

It made me smile!

I just looked at my Facebook memories and it was 1 year ago today that I was selected to be the Captain of the Grandaddy!

It made me smile!

Don't worry Cap! We got tons of new stuff to make you smile between now and December! :)

It made me smile!
Congrats again. Looking forward to your journey and Victory!

Yesterday must have brought some excitement to Team THP!

It made me smile!

what a great memory to see (y)⛳

Man, you guys have a great catalog of new irons available to you. The entire new Apex line is soooo good. The Apex Pros would be my target. But, you never know what other goodies they'll have up their sleeve by the time the event comes along.

Having been away from THP for a while, jumping back in and seeing this thread just makes me smile. It does my heart good to get back in here (THP) and see some old friends still on the threads and THIS one brings back a lot of great memories. I would be over the moon to get a chance to get back to the Grandaddy again after 7 years.

Man, you guys have a great catalog of new irons available to you. The entire new Apex line is soooo good. The Apex Pros would be my target. But, you never know what other goodies they'll have up their sleeve by the time the event comes along.

You aren't wrong! Can't wait to see the irons in hand!

Going to get really exciting here really soon again!

To the 2020 Grandmama team.

Thank you for the thoughtful gift. It will stay in the Tech Studio for all to see.

Thank you for the thoughtful gift. It will stay in the Tech Studio for all to see.

A little something to remember from the event that never was. :)

Picture!

Back