2021 Honma T//World GS Lineup

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Speed. If you don’t have it, you want it, and let’s be honest even if you do have it, you want more. This year Honma Golf is taking their game improvement line into a direction of giving golfers just what they are seeking, speed. Though already released in Japan, the North American release date is now here for the new Honma TW GS driver, fairways, hybrids, and irons.

Want to know more? Keep on keeping on. 

2021 Honma T//World GS Lineup

The new GS line is a direct replacement for the T//World XP-1 offerings which had some decent buzz and solid feedback throughout their cycle. The name of the game with GS however, is literally speed, as in “Gain Speed” which is what the GS name stands for. For this release, the Japan base of Honma has worked hand in hand with their North American team in order to create design elements...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Staff
I’m honestly not sure what I think of this direction for Honma. Whereas previous releases have felt like they truly tried to mesh with the US market, initially, these look much more like the he Japanese releases they initially were. Remind me a bit of what Yonex does to be honest.

Now, that’s not a knock or prediction on performance, just a personal observation.

I should have an iron and a fairway in from THP HQ in the next day or so however to take a closer look.

The drivers catch my eye more than the irons. Honma just confuses me at times with what they put out and the number of lines that come with it. Although I will say, I have really enjoyed pretty much every piece of their gear that I have gotten my hands on.

I liked the last Honma driver. I think the looks of this one are pretty darn good. Hope to get some swings with it soon.

These look very Nike to me. A little too much going on and not as subtle design as I recall the previous releases being.

The drivers catch my eye more than the irons. Honma just confuses me at times with what they put out and the number of lines that come with it. Although I will say, I have really enjoyed pretty much every piece of their gear that I have gotten my hands on.

I think it's a tough market to navigate for them. I get the impression that Japan embraces the GI iron design and everything that comes with it, while over here there's a desire for clubs that go more towards the "traditional" look and hide the technology.

I'm with you - I've really enjoyed everything I've played from Honma - the Beers, the one piece forgings I gave a spin, and the few other clubs I've hit or demoed. The woods have especially surprised me.

I'm definitely intrigued by Honma, having won the set of Beres last year for my first introduction that was too much hence why I sold them but the regular line up looks nice, definitely can see the Japanese forged designs you see outside of the Mizuno etc.
Maybe this is the line that makes them mainstream in North America, game improvement is a big market.

They're colorful, I'll give you that..
I assume that the Lemon color is the women's line.
Everything I have hit from Honma has performed well in the past.

Great write up @Jman!

Those irons look pretty good to me. The driver looks like a solid pairing. I feel like Gonna is really pressing on trying to make inroads in the US, but they just can't seem to break through like they want to.

The drivers look decent, you see that on a rack and you might be likely to pick it up. It appears there is some tech there and thats a good thing. Also the non rotating adapter is cool, I'd like to see pics of that as Callaway is the only one I'm aware of. The irons to me are not attractive at all.

These look very Nike to me. A little too much going on and not as subtle design as I recall the previous releases being.
To be fair, this is the GI line and not the players one, so a little more flash is expected usually

The driver and fairway woods look good. The irons come of a little cheap looking to me. Just not enough here to make me seek out Honma equipment and try it!

Those irons seem to be an odd departure visually from the rather clean and sleek looking TW XP-1 irons, IMHO.

Being that this is geared towards speed is the driver a light head with a longer than average shaft? I have never been interested in Homna even though some of their irons look nice and the driver shaft not rotating is a very nice feature. I will likely never see one of their clubs in our local shop so that could be one of the reasons I never give them a ponder when I get the itch to buy something

To be fair, this is the GI line and not the players one, so a little more flash is expected usually

That's probably right. I've always wondered why does the GI line have to be so "flashy" compared to the more player oriented lines (true for most OEM)? To me they just look worse, perhaps that's the only way to get shelf visibility but a thing that always seems strange.

That's probably right. I've always wondered why does the GI line have to be so "flashy" compared to the more player oriented lines (true for most OEM)? To me they just look worse, perhaps that's the only way to get shelf visibility but a thing that always seems strange.

I think it goes back to different types of customers. Across the board, it seems to be this way.

Any pics of the crown?

I think it goes back to different types of customers. Across the board, it seems to be this way.

Everybody (I can think of) does it so there must be a reason to do it. Maybe if you make it "uglier" it also differentiates more to the more player types of irons and creates a premium feel to those. E.g. Taylormade SIM vs P-series irons. If SIM looked as good as the P would you sell as many P-series.

Everybody (I can think of) does it so there must be a reason to do it. Maybe if you make it "uglier" it also differentiates more to the more player types of irons and creates a premium feel to those. E.g. Taylormade SIM vs P-series irons. If SIM looked as good as the P would you sell as many P-series.

Not sure I can answer that, although I do think ugly is subjective a bit haha.

Its funny because busy irons do not bother me, but online boy do people prefer the clean look.

I find the drivers to be interesting. Were I in the market for a driver, I would try one.

Not sure I can answer that, although I do think ugly is subjective a bit haha.

Its funny because busy irons do not bother me, but online boy do people prefer the clean look.

Guilty as charged :) But in all honesty there are certain irons I would disqualify just because of looks alone. Going in for a fitting in a few weeks time and will try to go into exactly the iron that gives the best performance no matter the category and looks, at least that's what I keep telling myself...

They look alright.

I am having such a hard time figuring out what Honma's identity is. Very confusing.
How easily can you find Honma in OH? I know they have them at one store here but thats it. I'm sure I'll give them a swing at one point but they just don't scream must have to me.

How easily can you find Honma in OH? I know they have them at one store here but thats it. I'm sure I'll give them a swing at one point but they just don't scream must have to me.
I have absolutely no idea where to hit them locally.

Nice write up again James! You've been busy! While I like the look of the driver, I'm not sure about the irons, color, shape... not sure, but wondering when/if there will be data coming from the THP Tech Studio on Driver?

Back