CONTEST 2021 NFL Draft Contest and Thread

Is it true that three years following a given draft more 3rd Round picks are starting NFL players than 1st Round picks ?
Interesting stat I would need to see that over say 10 years. For any given year I could see it but as a rule I doubt it. I would think far fewer 1st rounders are cut in years 1 and 2 but 3rd rounders aren't even a guarantee to make the team out of camp.

Interesting stat I would need to see that over say 10 years. For any given year I could see it but as a rule I doubt it. I would think far fewer 1st rounders are cut in years 1 and 2 but 3rd rounders aren't even a guarantee to make the team out of camp.

I think that while introducing the start of Round 3 yesterday ESPN put up a graphic proclaiming "three years following the draft, more 3rd Round picks are starting NFL players than 1st Round picks", but the graphic came and went quickly so I may have misinterpreted the message.
Regardless, I do believe a very football smart talent evaluator can absolutely make productive selections from the 3rd to the 5th Round. The late, great Bill Walsh seemed to ignore the hype noise and focus on players with attributes that would play well within his system.

Looks like the Cowboys knew where they needed help, developed a draft plan and are executing it: 2 DL, 2 CB and 2 LB

Looks like the Cowboys knew where they needed help, developed a draft plan and are executing it: 2 DL, 2 CB and 2 LB
And some darn good prospects. I think they reached a bit on the LB and could have traded down and I him, but when the two DBs went early they had no choice

For awhile it was trendy for GM's to declare "we're not drafting for particular positions, we're taking best player available (BPA) ". But I do not understand what that is supposed to mean. For example, , if a team's current roster is stocked with excellent players at particular position (s), wouldn't they use the draft to fill positions where the current roster is weak ?

Saints going QB with a guy that knows how to win.

Saints going QB with a guy that knows how to win.
i would be shocked if book was anything more then a career backup. i am a big notre dame fan and watching him just doesn't do it for me

Stock piling & hope they hit on a few of ‘em. First time in Cowboy history they’ve done 6 straight defensive players to start.

The S the Colts just picked has some potential to be a later round sensation. Work ethic will be what gets it done but if it improves he has very strong abilities

If Slaton gets into shape, he has huge potential for Green Bay. Amazing player, but takes some plays off.

Arians with an interesting take I have heard before from front office about choosing a player that stuck through the tough times, rather than transfer when they don’t get their way.

[
I think that while introducing the start of Round 3 yesterday ESPN put up a graphic proclaiming "three years following the draft, more 3rd Round picks are starting NFL players than 1st Round picks", but the graphic came and went quickly so I may have misinterpreted the message.
Regardless, I do believe a very football smart talent evaluator can absolutely make productive selections from the 3rd to the 5th Round. The late, great Bill Walsh seemed to ignore the hype noise and focus on players with attributes that would play well within his system.

I wouldn't be surprised. The 3rd round guys are roster guys also there are more picks so just numbers wise it would make sense. 1st round is a lot of boom or bust type players where 3rd round are still nfl quality players but seem to just be the consistency type guys or guys with off field issues and a 1st round talent or play at smaller schools.

[

I wouldn't be surprised. The 3rd round guys are roster guys also there are more picks so just numbers wise it would make sense. 1st round is a lot of boom or bust type players where 3rd round are still nfl quality players but seem to just be the consistency type guys or guys with off field issues and a 1st round talent or play at smaller schools.

More picks because some are "compensatory"? I've heard that term but don't know what it means, as I thought each round was exactly 32 picks.

I like this Marquez Stevenson pick. Averaged 36 yards per kickoff return. The Bills have a spot for a kickoff returner.

Bears grab a late round WR in Newsome and he has a chance to make an impact. Only reason he didn’t go higher was 40 speed, but good route runner and solid performer.

I can’t say I know anything about the players getting drafted in the later rounds, but I always want to hear the draftniks saying how great a steal was when your team drafts a guy.

Eagles 7th round pick is some LB from LSU, Patrick Johnson. When you hear, I can’t believe this guy lasted this long makes you feel it was a good pick.

I can’t say I know anything about the players getting drafted in the later rounds, but I always want to hear the draftniks saying how great a steal was when your team drafts a guy.

Eagles 7th round pick is some LB from LSU, Patrick Johnson. When you hear, I can’t believe this guy lasted this long makes you feel it was a good pick.

It’s a good pick... from Nashville originally...

Love this and such a big fan of this young man. Stillers got a good one.
I love the story of this kid for sure.... but if Stillers can’t block up front he’ll be target for criticism... love they got him but felt like they should have tried to trade back into early 2nd round and add another 2nd or 3rd rounder to grab an OT G/C early... will see how productive he can be with what will probably be mediocre OL

Back