2021 Open Championship Contest and Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is amazing! 😆
1626633659182.png

Good win for him, will be around for many more wins.

Here’s to you Mr Morikowa. Well done

Too Good not to share...

I think Morikawa is going to end up smoking a very special and limited group of golfers.

Two major wins in first appearance is insane.. He is a special golfer that you have to think can win the career grand slam at some point.

I think Morikawa is going to end up smoking a very special and limited group of golfers.

Two major wins in first appearance is insane.. He is a special golfer that you have to think can win the career grand slam at some point.

I agree...and he is 120th on Tour in driving distance. Colin seems more interested in scoring than in how far he hits the ball. Golf is still a game that is about how many, not how far, but today's mindset seems to be distance obsessed. "Yeah, I missed the cut, but I hit a 340 yard drive!"

When the other guy doesn't make a bogey for 30 holes and already has the lead at the beginning of the round, it's curtains for everyone else.

Morikawa is 127 in putting, then converts to the saw.

This week ... #1

And on top of that he’s 1st on the PGA Tour in strokes gained approach and 2nd in hitting greens in regulation. So, when he gets the putter heating up, he’s going to be at or near the top of the leaderboard. One of the best, if not the best, iron player in the game. He’s a pleasure to watch.

Last edited:
I read something about Morikawa a while back. I think it was that when he was at Cal they measured his accuracy and found that his 6i was as accurate as the average tour payers PW. That is insane.

I read something about Morikawa a while back. I think it was that when he was at Cal they measured his accuracy and found that his 6i was as accurate as the average tour payers PW. That is insane.

I read that too somewhere this week regarding his dispersion with his 6i being the same as others with a PW. As @Canadan would say that’s nuts!

Golf digest also put that to the test on a video they produced.
His average dispersion with a 6 iron was like 12ft. Tour average for a PW is 23ft

Last edited:
I remember Collin and Matthew "Never Cry Wolff" were being compared to each other on the Golf Channel.
So far Collin is blowing Wolff away.
He was way less hyped than Wolfe and Hovland because of their length off the tee. I know @Sox_Fan was on him early though and he said something about him being an amazing iron player. That got me watching him and he just looked way more complete than those 2 from the jump. That hitch in Wolfe's swing has got to cause a bit of inconsistency too IMO. It's just an added moving piece that has to also be right for a good shot.

He was way less hyped than Wolfe and Hovland because of their length off the tee. I know @Sox_Fan was on him early though and he said something about him being an amazing iron player. That got me watching him and he just looked way more complete than those 2 from the jump. That hitch in Wolfe's swing has got to cause a bit of inconsistency too IMO. It's just an added moving piece that has to also be right for a good shot.
I think Wolff will be the underachiever out of the three of them. He’s already showing that he can’t handle the stress. Hovland has potential and is a cool customer also, but Morikawa has the most complete game of all of them overall.

I don’t remember watching The Open where all four days were good to really good weather.

Couldn't watch the final round live and just finished it up. Congrats Morikawa hell of a show. This was a great final round overall, Rahm and Speith just ran out of holes and Morikawa was a putting machine.

Jon Rahm (rightfully!) reclaimed the #1 OWGR spot with his finish.

I'm so in awe of Morikawa's game and his character. I think he's going to win a ton.. elite ball strikers typically stand the test of time. The grit he showed down the stretch with Spieth charging was fantastic

Morikawa has shown some class, and his recovery from a poor Scottish Open shows he is a fast learner.

And he now has more Major wins than Azinger .

good for collin. well deserved. he got some really good breaks, and capitalized on all of them. i'm disappointed spieth didn't win, but really excited to see him back on form. he drove it so well yesterday. super bummed for louis, though.

You could tell the disappointment in Spieth's post-round interview and how he felt he let this one got away. He knew it cost him with the late 3rd round bogey's and starting off +2 in round 4. This one burns him a bit I think.

good for collin. well deserved. he got some really good breaks, and capitalized on all of them. i'm disappointed spieth didn't win, but really excited to see him back on form. he drove it so well yesterday. super bummed for louis, though.

If you just looked at the results, Louis had a pretty good run in the final 3 majors - two seconds and a third. And of active players, only Phil has more runner up finishes in Majors. That said, I think Louis would want to play his Sunday rounds at Torrey and St. George's again. He shot even at Torrey and Rahm was -4 for the day. Yesterday he was +1 while Morokawa, Spieth and Rahm all shot -4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back