Tour Event 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic

I'm going to say it. This is lame by Lefty. Sure, it's old news, but nothing reported was incorrect. And neither the tournament nor the city have anything to do with what the press publishes.

And for the PGA Tour to be very tight with sports gambling operations, one of their stars having an unpaid debt owed him of 500k is a relevant story.
I mean Phil’s gambling interest is well-known, but this story is decades old and should have been dead and buried. If Phil doesn’t like it, he doesn’t need to play there. He’s earned that right. Pros always have to deal with local media when traveling to tournaments. You’d think local media for a tournament in its third year would know better than to anger one of the game’s biggest draws.

I mean Phil’s gambling interest is well-known, but this story is decades old and should have been dead and buried. If Phil doesn’t like it, he doesn’t need to play there. He’s earned that right. Pros always have to deal with local media when traveling to tournaments. You’d think local media for a tournament in its third year would know better than to anger one of the game’s biggest draws.
Phil is a big boy. He can do what he wants. And I can think its soft.

If an article that the tournament has absolutely no control over is going to keep him away, whatever. It's soft.

He's at the age where he is going to be playing in the Senior Players at Firestone the week before this anyway. This is going to be a week off after that for him anyways.

Maybe 15 years ago, but to bring it up now is bush league, click-baiting for ego, look at me stuff. Was the juice worth the squeeze? Maybe for him but not for charitable causes. It was an irrelevant piece.
Phil could have just let the water roll off his back and be done with it. His reaction is just as much "look at me" as the article was.

This needs another look. 275 to the hole. 173mph ball speed WITH THE HYBRID.

Phil could have just let the water roll off his back and be done with it. His reaction is just as much "look at me" as the article was.

The columnist did it for what reasons who knows - apparently, the guy has skins but poor taste.

True, Phil could have handled it with humor. But apparently, he is the type, like many, who don't want their dirty laundry publicized. I would have said, "It's Rob Snell living in the 00's. Someone wake him up. Happy to be here, helping area charities and kids. Rob Snell - lol."

🚨 Ace alert! 🚨

Trying to see both sides of this. I think the reporter/journalist/columnist (I don't know which) looked for some angle to the event (and chose poorly or chose to write it from the wrong angle) but his paper/editor should have read it and decided if it was worth printing and/or what fallout was likely to be).

Phil, could have been the adult in the room - particularly at his age (ha), but he chose to make things worse by even acknowledging the article and if he had to, he could have strictly said something like 'the issue is 20 years old, I did nothing wrong, I was stiffed for payment, how is this even a thing 20 years later, looks like a writer in search of a headline and he made a poor choice with reflects poorly on Detroit, the event, the sponsors and even the tour.'

Both sides can be (and often are) wrong - this is one of those times, that said, of the 2 I am on Phils side here. The punishment to the writer should be to carry both Phil's and Bryson's bag for practice round!

These featured groups are not a ton of fun to watch right now… 😖

Bryson just waited for the 398 yard par 4 to clear. No roll, but he gave that ball a ride right down the middle.

Bryson just waited for the 398 yard par 4 to clear. No roll, but he gave that ball a ride right down the middle.
347 yards. And then doesn’t even get it close from 50 yards. Ouch. Drops a JC after that poor effort.

Champ looks miserable out there.

Sooo ready for the afternoon featured groups.

Both sides can be (and often are) wrong - this is one of those times, that said, of the 2 I am on Phils side here. The punishment to the writer should be to carry both Phil's and Bryson's bag for practice round!
I don't know all the details, but, just watching Mickelson's comments on TV, this morning, my thought was "Ohhh. Poor baby."
rolleyes.gif

Hideki WD with wrist injury ☹

I was wondering what happened. He was there, then the leaderboard showed WD. Crazy
He had those 4 straight birdies yesterday, but looks out of sorts after that. Hope he can heal up for the Open and Olympics.

He had those 4 straight birdies yesterday, but looks out of sorts after that. Hope he can heal up for the Open and Olympics.
Must be pulling out to be safe for those. Hope he's all good too.

Champ and Bryson should have both dominated this wet golf course. Bryson seems distracted while Champ is just too inconsistent

We are getting treated to tons of DOTD this week. Bubba again here.

Bubbas's cut shots/lines on some of the par 5s these last two days is pretty nuts!

Back