Tour Event 2021 Ryder Cup

I always felt it was an unwritten rule (at least for the Yanks) that the Captain was a major winner. Can't recall a Captain in my life who hadn't won at least one major.

Is this a first?

Among other things, I think this is a bad omen for the Yanks.

Andd...surprisingly looking at that Euro roster, they look formidable. I do expect the Euros to win (perhaps handily, we'll see...)
Based on the recent history of the event, what's the worst thing that could happen? They actually win again?

I'm just hoping it gets to Saturday night and it's tied, or rather close. Let's see some fireworks on Sunday, boys.

Based on the recent history of the event, what's the worst thing that could happen? They actually win again?

Just curious, has there ever been a captain who wasn't a major winner? I'm guessing way back when the event began, or thereabouts? Isn't it sort of an unwritten rule - or at some point in the captaincy history became a sort of "rule" - for America that their captain has won "the big one"?

Wondering when the last time our captain never won a major?

Just curious, has there ever been a captain who wasn't a major winner? I'm guessing way back when the event began, or thereabouts? Isn't it sort of an unwritten rule - or at some point in the captaincy history became a sort of "rule" - for America that their captain has won "the big one"?

they are gonna have trouble finding major winning captains for the US in this generation because Tiger won them all :LOL:

I have no idea, my depth of Ryder Cup history is all of two decades long.

That said, Strick is a perfect candidate, and their recent history would suggest that trying new things isn't the worst thing they could do haha

they are gonna have trouble finding major winning captains for the US in this generation because Tiger won them all :LOL:
Yeah that was pretty selfish of him, really.

David Toms? David Duval? Justin Leonard? And if Canadan. wants different, could have even went John Daly. :p

David Toms? David Duval? Justin Leonard? And if Canadan. wants different, could have even went John Daly. :p

I just went through the list. Duval and Toms I don’t think really have what it takes to command the room like that.

Leonard maybe, but he’s more of a vice captain. I know Daly wouldn’t take it serious enough but I could see him do a vice captain.

Other than the guys you mentioned there aren’t really a lot of other names that aren’t Tiger or Phil.

Zach Johnson, Stewart Cink, or Mark O’Meara I thought were candidates but ZJ will be a captain sometime soon no doubt. Maybe next in line. Cink is still in player mode, but I can see him down the line. O’Meara should have already been one if he wanted it so I don’t think he’s an option.

That’s pretty much it so I would expect to see a couple other non major winner to get a nod. (Matt Kuchar comes to mind)

I just went through the list. Duval and Toms I don’t think really have what it takes to command the room like that.

Leonard maybe, but he’s more of a vice captain. I know Daly wouldn’t take it serious enough but I could see him do a vice captain.

Other than the guys you mentioned there aren’t really a lot of other names that aren’t Tiger or Phil.

Zach Johnson, Stewart Cink, or Mark O’Meara I thought were candidates but ZJ will be a captain sometime soon no doubt. Maybe next in line. Cink is still in player mode, but I can see him down the line. O’Meara should have already been one if he wanted it so I don’t think he’s an option.

That’s pretty much it so I would expect to see a couple other non major winner to get a nod. (Matt Kuchar comes to mind)
I like that list. Put (Rich) Beemer on the list too. The problem with all those Americans us I don't view them as firey guys. Paddy is firey. Paddy is going to have his team fired up.

Like Stricker and view him as a class act, but let's see if he can bring home the win...

I like that list. Put (Rich) Beemer on the list too. The problem with all those Americans us I don't view them as firey guys. Paddy is firey. Paddy is going to have his team fired up.

Like Stricker and view him as a class act, but let's see if he can bring home the win...

paddy is a great captain, part of me wants Europe to do well so people think back on his captaincy in good light.

padraig was my favorite golfer growing weirdly lol. My friend was and is obsessed with Sergio and I naturally just wanted to pick his kryptonite.

paddy is a great captain, part of me wants Europe to do well so people think back on his captaincy in good light.

padraig was my favorite golfer growing weirdly lol. My friend was and is obsessed with Sergio and I naturally just wanted to pick his kryptonite.
The Europeans take the Rc so serioysly, I genuinely believe Paddy would turn in one of his major wins for a RC win as a captain.

The Europeans take the Rc so serioysly, I genuinely believe Paddy would turn in one of his major wins for a RC win as a captain.
I bet he wouldn’t. I’m pretty sure I saw something on social media recently and he was asked this. He answered that he would swap any future major win for a win as a Ryder cup captain.

I am looking forward to this a lot! I can neither confirm nor deny that I will be working from home on Monday - am expecting a late night!

I always felt it was an unwritten rule (at least for the Yanks) that the Captain was a major winner. Can't recall a Captain in my life who hadn't won at least one major.

Is this a first?

Among other things, I think this is a bad omen for the Yanks.

Andd...surprisingly looking at that Euro roster, they look formidable. I do expect the Euros to win (perhaps handily, we'll see...)

Winning Super Bowl coaches did not play for SB Champions.

It means nothing.

USA has had Major Champs as Captains lose ... Hal Sutton, not a Major Winner, was one of the worst Captains, paired Tiger and Phil together and USA got shellacked as a team. Tom Watson, Major winner, almost had a mutiny when he last Captained.

Stricker? No one has any idea.

Captains are not always the best players just like the most winning coaches were not always the most winning players. Leadership is a skill some people simply don't have while others have it in spades.

Winning Super Bowl coaches did not play for SB Champions.

It means nothing.

USA has had Major Champs as Captains lose ... Hal Sutton, not a Major Winner, was one of the worst Captains, paired Tiger and Phil together and USA got shellacked as a team. Tom Watson, Major winner, almost had a mutiny when he last Captained.

Stricker? No one has any idea.
Hal won the 1983 PGA.

I was just curious if Stricker was the first us captain to not have won a major, or the first in living memory? I can't seem to think of one that didn't have a major. Like I said I always thought it was some kind of unwritten rule on the American side. Stricker proves that it's not I guess.

Stricker is the first majorless US captain. The Europeans have been doing it on and off for a while, maybe they’re onto something here.

I haven't seen a RC for a very long time. Now that I'm into golf I'm very much looking forward to it. I don't care who wins as long as it's well played and free of any controversies.

Stricker is the first majorless US captain. The Europeans have been doing it on and off for a while, maybe they’re onto something here.
You mean the part where that shouldn't matter? :ROFLMAO:

And....I don't see the issue other than I'm not a Stricker fan

Hal won the 1983 PGA.

I was just curious if Stricker was the first us captain to not have won a major, or the first in living memory? I can't seem to think of one that didn't have a major. Like I said I always thought it was some kind of unwritten rule on the American side. Stricker proves that it's not I guess.

His brief history did not show it under Career Highlights.:oops:

He was crap as a Captain (IMHO) and it again proves that Major Champs don't always make decent Captains. Phil/Tiger - a controversial pairing even before the matches.

Americans are very solo-oriented. I think potential members get together during the year but it's not often. But getting their butts handed to them every two years doesn't seem to change their strategy. How about "C'mon, men, let's get steak and drinks."

Back