2021 Shaft Up #3 Whistling Straits Holy-by-Hole Preview – Straits Course

We are down to the last 3 holes (and likely the ones that will decide the match). Today we look at hole #16...

Hole #16 - “Endless Bite” (Par 5 - Handicap 10; 535 from Green, 513 from White)

“The shortest of the par 5s on The Straits. This hole creates deep temptations of risk for its sought after glory. ”

1628171888124.png

1628171838538.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“The shortest of the Straits’ par 5 holes will tempt most players to hit driver off the tee to gain a chance to hit this green in two. The center of the fairway is certainly a wise place to find since there are sand bunkers protecting the right and a drop-off toward Lake Michigan on the left. The long approach uphill has a forced carry over sand dunes and bunkers that will cause may players to bail out right. Those conservative players will be left with a short wedge into this elevated green with the sky and Lake Michigan as a backdrop.”

I should be able to go after driver on this hole with a decent amount of room available on the right and the predicted SW winds for the two days we are playing (meaning this hole will be a bit downwind and wind away from the lake). Zero chance I'll be going after this green in two based on what surrounds it, so I'll be laying up on my 2nd shot with goal of partial wedge approach shot on my 3rd. Par net birdie probably won't cut it on this hole, so @mancest or I will most likely have to go 4 for 3 on this one to take it away from the bad guys.

We are now a week away from travel day! And we move onto hole #13...

Hole #13 - “Cliff Hanger” (Par 4 - Handicap 14; 364 from Green, 336 from White)

“Another hole where the name Cliff Hanger tells the story. The green looks inviting but sits on the cliff edge of Lake Michigan.”

View attachment 9020071

View attachment 9020070

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“Favor the left side of the fairway off the tee on this short par 4. A tee shot that misses the fairway right will find sand dunes and awkward lies. A short approach shot is downhill to a narrow cliffhanger green next to Lake Michigan, protected by sand bunkers short right and left. An errant approach to the right will be lost to the steep bluffs overhanging the Great Lake.”

I'll be aiming driver at the bunkers on the left and let my ball work left to right into the fairway (and hopefully avoiding the trouble on the right). From there we should have a wedge shot in, that I will favor a miss to be left and short to avoid being right and long and off the cliff.

I’ve got some catching up to do! Can’t wait to follow you guys in the live thread. I’d aim between the bunkers and fairway, then leave myself with a short iron in.

Reaching the halfway point on the back nine, today we look at #14...

Hole #14 - “Widow's Watch” (Par 4 - Handicap 16; 346 from Green, 332 from White)

“A short but tricky dogleg left, cutting the corner is blocked by a large bunker which can also create a blind approach to the green.”

View attachment 9020251

View attachment 9020252

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“The long-iron or fairway metal tee shot favors the right side of the fairway. Any tee shots to the left will most likely end up with a blind approach shot or in a sand bunker that guards the left side of the fairway. While the approach shots will be with short irons, deep sand bunkers guard the right side of this undulating green with more sand bunkers guarding the green long and left. ”

Dogleg left holes are usually a top nemesis for me, but on this one it appears to be a favorable position to be on right side of hole to attach green on approach shot. Going to let the big dog eat and aim driver towards bunker on the left, which should leave a wedge into a tricky and well guarded green. Hoping to have a birdie opportunity that I wrap up nicely with a 2-putt par.

Aiming at the left side bunkers left edge and swinging like I’m hitting a home run to leave myself on the corner and have a P or 9 in.

Today we move onto hole #15 on what may begin the toughest closing stretch in the country...

Hole #15 - “Grand Stand” (Par 4 - Handicap 4; 429 from Green, 402 from White)

“This hole begins a four-hole stretch that could be considered among the most difficult in championship golf. Strap on your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. ”

View attachment 9020383

View attachment 9020384

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“This hole begins what could arguably be the most difficult four finishing holes in championship golf. A beautiful par 4 requires raw power off the tee as well as an accurate long-iron or metal approach shot. Favor the left side of the fairway to avoid sunken sand bunkers to the right. This green has many subtle breaks to it and will challenge every player.”

With a lot of trouble on the right-side of this hole, I'll be doing some praying before my tee shot. Going to take driver and aim towards the bunker running up the left side of the fairway, which will hopefully keep me in fairway or first-cut, and from there a mid-long iron approach shot into another well guarded green. Bogey net par may be the goal for me here haha.

I’d take 3w off the tee and 5w in. The sand river across the fairway seems even worse in the photo as it looks like the elevation raises just slightly so hope for a clean strike as any runners are probably DOA in that one.

2 holes to go, here is hole #17...

Hole #17 - “Pinched Nerve” (Par 3 - Handicap 8; 197 from Green, 165 from White)

“Another name spot-on, you can understand while standing on the tee of this par 3 why your neck might get stiff.”

1628262405669.png

1628262425705.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“One of Pete Dye's most intimidating par 3 holes – anywhere. The green is guarded left by sand dunes that fall 20 feet below green level. If the bunker doesn't capture the tee shot, Lake Michigan certainly will. A large elevated sand dune 40 yards short of the green will invite players toward the left side of the green, which is risky because of the drop-off toward the Great Lake. Tee shots straying right will find sand dunes and bunkers on a steep hillside protecting the right side of the green.”

This will probably be one of the toughest par 3's that I have ever played in my life. Going to do a lot of hitting and hoping on this one haha.

Man .... those back tees :eek: Nearly 7800 yards! Holy Shiznit :eek:

Today we close out our course preview with hole #18…

Hole #18 - “Dyeabolical” (Par 4 - Handicap 2; 424 from Green, 420 from White)

“One of the most glorious finishing holes in golf, a score of par is to be desired.”

AA3E683B-47C3-40EF-9D7F-C937FCB8B3D7.jpeg

FEAF0BD8-2438-46B0-9DEA-B08F3CBA176C.jpeg

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“A challenging finishing hole where par will be an excellent target.

A well-struck tee shot down the right side will surely find the fairway but will leave a long iron for the approach to the green.

A more aggressive line off the tee to the left leaves a shorter approach but demands at least a 270-yard carry over sand dunes and bunkers.

Even though the approach is downhill, swirling winds surrounding the green complex force players to play an extra club into the green, which demands a forced carry over Seven Mile Creek, guarding the front side of this huge green.”

Back