2021 Shaft Up #3 Whistling Straits Holy-by-Hole Preview – Straits Course

#7 is such a picturesque par 3. Get your cameras ready while on the tee box. For some entertainment you can Google "john daly whistling straits" and watch a meltdown on this very hoke.

#8 is the hole that derailed my round. If you read the hole description it mentions a pot bunker behind the green. I can tell you from experience you don't want to be there. That bunker still haunts me. Not sure it's physically possible to get a ball out, and there is nowhere to pitch out to either side or behind you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
On August 11th you’ll be able to google “BuckNasty Whistling straits” to see my club toss into Lake Michigan on hole #7

#7 - hope the wind is favorable and launch a 6i pretty far to the left.

#8 - lot of options, would probably try to take a driver over the corner of the left bunkers. if white tees and helping wind might again tempt to carry the bunkers on the right on a more direct line to green. green tees and hurting wind might bring out the driving iron or 3w leaving long iron into the green.

Today we close out the front nine...

Hole #9 – “Down and Dirty” (Par 4 - Handicap 11; 384 from Green, 371 from White)

“Do not be fooled by the funnel effect to the small green. Soak up the beautiful scenery back to the clubhouse before returning to the lake on No. 10 ”

1627563237069.png

1627563139907.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“A tee shot down the left tends to kick toward the right. If your tee shot is too far right, a large tree about 100 yards short of the green may block your approach. Swirling wind conditions on this hole dictate club selection from short to mid irons approaching this slightly humpbacked green. Seven Mile Creek and a series of narrow sand bunkers wind along the right side of the green while the left side is protected by sand dunes and bunkers.”

Appears to be a pretty straightforward hole, driver down the left hand side leaving an approach in which I'll be aiming for the left side of green. As with any trouble on the right, always a chance I end up swimming in Seven Mile Creek on my approach shot, but going to do my best to avoid that at all costs.

How would you guys play this par 4 that leads to the halfway house?

#9 - would need my partner to slap the driver out of my hands. then, 3w or driving iron anywhere, short iron in.

Today we grab a few drinks and make the turn...

Hole #10 – “Voyager” (Par 4 - Handicap 12; 334 from Green, 320 from White)

“Carry the deep valley and dodge the deadly bunker in the center of the fairway to be set up perfectly for your approach to the elevated green.”

1627654095099.png

1627654069280.png

Flyover - n/a

How to Play This Hole

“The aggressive play off the tee is a driver as close to the left side of the fairway edge as possible while avoiding the drop-off left. The deep bunker on the right side of the landing area will require a carry of at least 240 yards that sets up a wedge approach to this elevated green. Some players may elect to hit driver at the green in hopes for glory but will have to avoid small but deep sand bunkers short left while hitting into a steep hillside guarding the front of this green. This green has many subtle breaks that will fool quite a few players.”

Grip it and rip it down the left side on this hole after downing a little juice at the halfway house to loosen up the body. Partial wedge shot on the approach into this green with the hopes of a close birdie opportunity.

Getting caught up finally. #9 is a comfy driver to before any kind of narrowing in the fairway with a short iron in. Really like my odds of making something happen on that hole. Scratch that reread Danny’s post :(. Putting has been coming around in a hurry recently so I’d be going in confident :cool:.

#10’s pot bunkers look diabolical to get out of if you’re in. The second has my attention off the tee but I’d have to risk it to set up a angle into the green pending the tees. Then have a decent club in hand to hold the green confidently on the second shot. Looking at the amount of bunkers it seems to say to you if you’re off the fairway the fescue is the least of your worries because you’ll be getting punched in the teeth if you get into some of those bunkers. Left or long of 10 looks like a absolute brute to get out of if you miss.

I need to get back to play the Straights course again, I had such a blast…

Attachments

• 48D628F2-4163-4D79-8B62-6C66D6F8277C.MOV
    8 MB
Broke out one of my whistling covers in honor of this thread!

6840A6C1-730F-4B50-BF02-BDA538BE2122.jpeg

1 hole down on back 9, next one up...

Hole #11 – “Sand Box” (Par 5 - Handicap 6; 544 from Green, 519 from White)

“The longest of the par 5s on the property, Sand Box gets its name from the well-placed railroad tie-lined bunker that hugs the left side of the fairway protecting it from wayward second shots. ”

1627735682360.png

1627735763773.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“Playing over 600 yards will challenge most players to hit drivers, but anything straying right will be swallowed by sand dunes, bunkers and a drop-off to the right. The second shot must avoid a huge sand bunker on the left extending out to about 100 yards from the green. The approach shot plays to a small, elevated green. Any shot landing on the front edge will roll back down, short of the green. Any shot slightly long is likely to find a sand bunker guarding the back center of the green. ”

The only thing this hole has going for it in my favor is that it is a dog-leg right, but the rest of the hole description makes it sound very difficult. Long, bunkers on both sides and a diabolical green to try and hit on approach. Just hoping to give myself a chance at par on this one.

How is this index only 6 with that description! I have to go 3w, 3w, 9-G depending to get onto the green if all goes well. Seems like this could wreck some rounds.

Would love to hit driver-3w to the green, but such a small landing area where you'd need to be. likely driver, punch out to ~150. short iron in.

cant wait to see the milkshakes flow and the fantasy football **** talk occur during this event.

Great peeps involved on this one.

We finish off the weekend with hole #12…

Hole #12 - “Pop Up” (Par 3 - Handicap 18; 118 from Green, 99 from White)

“One of the shortest of the par 3s on The Straits, the length isn’t a factor. This green is the most difficult to manage with the flat stick.”

972703D1-C3BF-4905-8EF7-DD4A15E9D9A6.jpeg

4CB0A3DF-7D33-439D-88DA-D8A80EA3208A.jpeg

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“This may be the most difficult of all greens to manage. In addition, a hole location in the back right tier will get every player’s attention. This par 3 plays downhill to a very large, undulating green. Any shot landing in the middle of the green may reject long into deep bunkers. If missed short or right, the green drops off 40 feet to dunes and Lake Michigan. Getting the tee shot on the green in where the fun begins, as reading all of the breaks will take a very talented eye.”

My guess is I’ll be on the green off the tee and then 3-putt for bogey. Wind coming off the back left shoulder is not ideal but the hole is short enough that is has minimal impact.

1 - Hitting driver and aiming at bunker on right and assuming my draw is in play and it will settle in fairway. Probably then an 8 or 9 iron in from the whites.
2 - Hitting 3w and heavenwood and then wedge in. No way am I reaching this green with a perfect drive so no sense in tempting myself and putting the pot bunker in play on my second shot.
3 - 5h-7i depending on wind.
4- Treating like a par 5. Hitting 3wood and 5h and leaving myself a wedge to hopefully two putt and walk away with a bogey.
5. Hitting driver and then heavenwood. Hoping I hit both well and then having a chance at par.
6. Hitting driver at right fairway bunker and hoping it draws to middle. With a good shot I would have a 9/PW in.
7. 5 hybrid to center of green.
8.This a par 5 for me to based on the visuals. Probably hitting Heavenwood and 5h and then a wedge in.
9. 3w down left side of fairway.
10. Heavenwood and then a PW in.
11. Driver down right side of fairway and then HW.
12. 54 degree or AW depending on wind and pin location.

Obviously these are all ideal shots. I am aiming for the safe side of the green on all of these approaches and hoping for as few 3 putts as possible.

#12- knock down gw or 54*. Likely somehow turning into a double bogey.

Bring alot balls.

Bring alot balls.
I may need to buy another dozen at the turn, don't want to overburden the caddie with 3 dozen golf balls in the bag at the start of the round haha

We are now a week away from travel day! And we move onto hole #13...

Hole #13 - “Cliff Hanger” (Par 4 - Handicap 14; 364 from Green, 336 from White)

“Another hole where the name Cliff Hanger tells the story. The green looks inviting but sits on the cliff edge of Lake Michigan.”

1627912103609.png

1627912078753.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“Favor the left side of the fairway off the tee on this short par 4. A tee shot that misses the fairway right will find sand dunes and awkward lies. A short approach shot is downhill to a narrow cliffhanger green next to Lake Michigan, protected by sand bunkers short right and left. An errant approach to the right will be lost to the steep bluffs overhanging the Great Lake.”

I'll be aiming driver at the bunkers on the left and let my ball work left to right into the fairway (and hopefully avoiding the trouble on the right). From there we should have a wedge shot in, that I will favor a miss to be left and short to avoid being right and long and off the cliff.

Reaching the halfway point on the back nine, today we look at #14...

Hole #14 - “Widow's Watch” (Par 4 - Handicap 16; 346 from Green, 332 from White)

“A short but tricky dogleg left, cutting the corner is blocked by a large bunker which can also create a blind approach to the green.”

1627998639051.png

1627998658733.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“The long-iron or fairway metal tee shot favors the right side of the fairway. Any tee shots to the left will most likely end up with a blind approach shot or in a sand bunker that guards the left side of the fairway. While the approach shots will be with short irons, deep sand bunkers guard the right side of this undulating green with more sand bunkers guarding the green long and left. ”

Dogleg left holes are usually a top nemesis for me, but on this one it appears to be a favorable position to be on right side of hole to attach green on approach shot. Going to let the big dog eat and aim driver towards bunker on the left, which should leave a wedge into a tricky and well guarded green. Hoping to have a birdie opportunity that I wrap up nicely with a 2-putt par.

smart play is probably 5i short of the corner leaving only about a 9i or so in. So I'd probably hit driver aiming left and figure it out from there.

Today we move onto hole #15 on what may begin the toughest closing stretch in the country...

Hole #15 - “Grand Stand” (Par 4 - Handicap 4; 429 from Green, 402 from White)

“This hole begins a four-hole stretch that could be considered among the most difficult in championship golf. Strap on your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. ”

1628083138422.png

1628083200278.png

Flyover -

How to Play This Hole

“This hole begins what could arguably be the most difficult four finishing holes in championship golf. A beautiful par 4 requires raw power off the tee as well as an accurate long-iron or metal approach shot. Favor the left side of the fairway to avoid sunken sand bunkers to the right. This green has many subtle breaks to it and will challenge every player.”

With a lot of trouble on the right-side of this hole, I'll be doing some praying before my tee shot. Going to take driver and aim towards the bunker running up the left side of the fairway, which will hopefully keep me in fairway or first-cut, and from there a mid-long iron approach shot into another well guarded green. Bogey net par may be the goal for me here haha.

Back