2021 Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x Golf Balls

James, really well done article. Hits all the high points. Like @golfinnut I am a Team Titleist ball tester and received a sleeve of the 2021 Pro V1x last weekend. I'll post my thoughts on it later today.
Appreciate that! There’s definitely some interesting things in these designs

Nice work @Jman!

I've played a ProV1 for the last 10ish years but I think I am going to try out the ProV1x in 2021 and hopefully see a bit higher ball flight, especially when combined with my new irons.

I've been playing the Pro V1x quite a bit over the last year and am glad to hear it will be a little softer. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the extra money though when I can get a ball that is likely going to perform extremely close to these. Hopefully I'll be able to try it this season though.

But I want I higher traj soft feeling ball!

Did they change the left dash for 21 or leave it alone because it was a mid release availability to the general public?

I'm a Team Titleist tester, so I received a sleeve of the new 2021 Pro V1x balls last weekend. I was last fitted into the Titleist Pro V1 about four years ago. It was a close call between the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. Even though I'm now 62 I've made some swing and swing speed improvements in the interim. I'm a scratch player with a swing speed in the mid-90s. I'm not one to get too excited about new balls. While the original Pro V1 was a revolution, most new balls, even Pro V1 and Pro V1x demonstrate small incremental improvements at best. Prior to this ball, the biggest change I've seen from the original Pro V1 is the durability of the cover and some increased spin around the greens.

Then these arrived.

I got out for a round Tuesday with these new balls. With every shot the ball was flying higher and longer than with my 2020 Titleist Pro V1. On average, 20-30 yards longer with driver. I was finding myself in places I seldom, if ever had been. At first I thought it was a fluke. But this occurred though the whole round, and not just with driver. I was seeing the same (proportionally of course) with every club through my bag. It was a windy day, so I also got to see how the wind affected the ball. It did of course. But it was predictable and I hit 13 of 14 FIR and 14 GIRs. I played the whole round with one ball and the cover still looks great.

Now I'm not saying everyone is going to see results like this. I think a lot of this is simply my swing benefits from the higher trajectory. I realize golf ball fitting is a real thing and that a ball that is optimal for one golfer won't necessarily be optimal for another. But these are great balls. If there is a lesson here so far it's this. If it's been awhile since you've been fitted, try out these two balls. They are high quality balls and you might be surprised like me.

I plan more testing of course, and in fact can't wait to do so.

I'm a Team Titleist tester, so I received a sleeve of the new 2021 Pro V1x balls last weekend. I was last fitted into the Titleist Pro V1 about four years ago. It was a close call between the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. Even though I'm now 62 I've made some swing and swing speed improvements in the interim. I'm a scratch player with a swing speed in the mid-90s. I'm not one to get too excited about new balls. While the original Pro V1 was a revolution, most new balls, even Pro V1 and Pro V1x demonstrate small incremental improvements at best. Prior to this ball, the biggest change I've seen from the original Pro V1 is the durability of the cover and some increased spin around the greens.

Then these arrived.

I got out for a round Tuesday with these new balls. With every shot the ball was flying higher and longer than with my 2020 Titleist Pro V1. On average, 20-30 yards longer with driver. I was finding myself in places I seldom, if ever had been. At first I thought it was a fluke. But this occurred though the whole round, and not just with driver. I was seeing the same (proportionally of course) with every club through my bag. It was a windy day, so I also got to see how the wind affected the ball. It did of course. But it was predictable and I hit 13 of 14 FIR and 14 GIRs. I played the whole round with one ball and the cover still looks great.

Now I'm not saying everyone is going to see results like this. I think a lot of this is simply my swing benefits from the higher trajectory. I realize golf ball fitting is a real thing and that a ball that is optimal for one golfer won't necessarily be optimal for another. But these are great balls. If there is a lesson here so far it's this. If it's been awhile since you've been fitted, try out these two balls. They are high quality balls and you might be surprised like me.

Sounds like a great first outing!!! Also good to hear about the durability.

Thanks for the info @Jman. Ole reliables! Hard to get away from these if money is not an issue.

Then these arrived.

I don't need to read this!!!!

Was able to participate in a ball fitting with a real live person from Titleist the other day. We spent about 45 minutes talking about the differences in the balls (PV1, PV1X, and AVX), discussed my ball flight, ball needs, feel, and what would best suit my swing speed. I've always been playing a PV1 due to the fact that I wanted to lower my ball flight and through discussion, we agreed that I should continue playing the PV1. He also recommended I try the PV1X Left Dash and is going to send me a sleeve of the new PV1's and 2 Sleeves of the PV1X Left Dash to try out.

Here's the link to the virtual ball fitting for those that are interested: https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-ball-fitting

I thought it was well worth the 45 min of time and I learned a lot about the new balls.

I got out for a second round with the new Pro V1x. (See post #34 for my first round comments.) Very different weather conditions this time. It had been raining since the night before and rained/drizzled through much of this round. Temperatures were in the 50s. First round was in the low 70s.

Ball flight was still higher than with my 2019 model Pro V1. Distances were consistent with what I would expect on a sunny, dry day with the temperatures in the 80s. To me this was more validation that the distance gains I noted in the first round are real--at least for me.

I did not comment much on spin on approach shots and chips and pitches around the green in my earlier post. That was intentional due to small sample size. Normally, I would spend a lot of time chipping, pitching and hitting bunker shots at a practice facility as part of my testing. Unfortunately, all those facilities have been closed since last March of last year due to local COVID orders. So the only testing of this type is going to be while playing rounds out on the course. Two rounds is still a small sample size, but it's enough for some preliminary opinions. The spin rates and ball reactions I'm seeing are so far indistinguishable from what I am used to with the 2019 model Pro V1. If that holds after more play that is very good news for me. The main reason I've been playing the Pro V1 vs. the Pro V1x is the higher spin rate you get with the Pro V1 around the greens.

On putting the 2021 Pro V1x feels ever so slightly firmer than the 2019 Pro V1. I don't think I'd even notice the difference if I wasn't testing and looking for such differences. I should mention my distance control is excellent. There is absolutely no difference I can perceive in putting distance. The slight difference I mentioned above is feel only. The ball rolls out the same distance.

Have a dozen 1X on order and are supposed to ship on the 27th. Looking forward to trying these out.

Just got my shipping email, balls will arrive on Thursday. Testing time this weekend.

They showed up on the shelves here yesterday. Weather needs to improve, but I'll hit them outdoors tomorrow along with the not-so-blind testing balls. V1x box looks like something from the 90's imo. Not a fan. Lol

I am excited to try these.

They showed up on the shelves here yesterday. Weather needs to improve, but I'll hit them outdoors tomorrow along with the not-so-blind testing balls. V1x box looks like something from the 90's imo. Not a fan. Lol
Don't judge a book by its cover.;)

They really need to have the Theft buttons on them? Nice neighborhood you live in.
I got a kick out of that too. I was like 'where are we?'. And then I gave them grief about how extra special their new Titleist balls must be to need anti-theft devices.

I got a kick out of that too. I was like 'where are we?'. And then I gave them grief about how extra special their new Titleist balls must be to need anti-theft devices.
Mine will be here tomorrow, direct from the factory. No theft device.

Them Chromy's are good for the taking though..

Them Chromy's are good for the taking though..

I've tried to post a message like 4 times in response to this that's not working, so yes, please take them.

Last edited:
Back