2021 UST Mamiya Shaft Up # 3 Irish Course Hole by Hole

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As @BuckNasty started the Straits course, I will be looking to THPers to help plan a strategy for the Irish course.

While not as acclaimed Straits, the Irish course is still a tough test.

Today we Start on Hole # 1 "High Ground"

400 387 369 359 301

1626876953630.png

Par 4
Handicap: 4

How to Play This Hole

A tee shot right will usually bounce left and allow for a better approach to the green. Deep bunkers short and left make the right a safe approach. You may want to play an extra club on your uphill approach to the green.

So THP, how would you approach this hole?

Attachments

• scorecard-the-irish.pdf
    160.5 KB · Views: 5
What set of tees are you playing from? :unsure:

That would help me determine how to play the hole (y)

That would help me determine how to play the hole (y)

For the sake of the discussion I would figure you are playing the appropriate tee box for your skill level. So for me I would guess Blue or Green based on my index (7.4 currently).

In that case, I'll go with Blue. Start with a 3 wood for control off the first tee .... about 230. 150 in ... depending on pin position, we'll say it's either a hard 8 or easy 7 iron to the middle of the green. Getting acclimated to the greens & proceed to 3-putt :eek: for a good 'ol fashioned starting bogey :ROFLMAO: Those greens look treacherous with way too many bumps & undulations. I'm sure that won't be the only one of the day either :rolleyes:

Not much trouble in play on the tee shot and a relatively large fairway means I'm taking driver and aiming down the leftside of fairway to work the fade. Hopefully I'll just be pin-seeking with a wedge on approach shot after @mancest bombs one out there and we use his drive :)

It is a great course and have played it twice. That first hole you want to be middle-right on the fairway on your tee shot. It makes your approach to the green easier and doesn't force a full carry on your second shot. If you are on the left side of the fairway, you'll find lies that have your feet slightly above the ball. BTW, the fairways are immaculate to hit off of but contain a lot of subtle elevation changes.

Don't see why driver isn't the play on this one. While I'd like to say I'm good enough to aim down the right side, I'd probably play to the middle in case I missed one a little right off the first tee, but definitely hitting driver and taking the approach shot it gives me. I think the real question will be the approach shot. Where the pin will be, what that means for landing it and where the right place to miss to is.

Alright, we proceed on to hole # 2...

1626964210292.png

No. 2 Giants Leap
372 360 347 340 309
Par 4
Handicap: 6

How to Play This Hole

A fairway wood or long iron is the smart play off the tee. There is plenty of room right to avoid the water down the left side. Trust the yardage on your approach to this narrow green protected by bunkers front and back.

Personally I always like hitting Driver, but maybe I hit 7W or Hybrid here depending on what fits my eye.

Alright, we proceed on to hole # 2...

View attachment 9017960

No. 2 Giants Leap
372 360 347 340 309
Par 4
Handicap: 6

How to Play This Hole

A fairway wood or long iron is the smart play off the tee. There is plenty of room right to avoid the water down the left side. Trust the yardage on your approach to this narrow green protected by bunkers front and back.

Personally I always like hitting Driver, but maybe I hit 7W or Hybrid here depending on what fits my eye.
no driver here, scary looking shot, give me a 4 or 5i hopefully leaving around a PW in.

I'm definitely hitting 3 or 4 hybrid depending on the tee box for #2. Probably aiming right of the 150 marker.

This is so damn cool. I’ll need to view when not mobile to help with strategy

Stand by the hybrid answer, but looking at the hole again, distance to that corner would likely be the deciding factor for what I hit. And unless the hole is on the right, probably even if it is, I'm aiming at the center of that green.

No one ever told me I play smart, so I'll be taking my new driver one this one and hope to find the right side of the fairway and have a nice little wedge in. Lucky for me I never miss left, so that water won't be in play for me off the tee.

Last edited:
Oh yeah #2 ... blast away for me at the left edge of the fairway bunker in the distance. I rarely, if ever, go left, so I'm not afraid of the water. Aim at the edge, if it fades, great ... still a wedge or 9 iron in. Annnnnnd .... proceed to 3 putt yet another green for bogey :ROFLMAO:

Beautiful course i would 3 wood off the tee and hopefully have a PW in for the second shot.

3 hybrid straight at the massive bunker and let it turn towards the water a little. Should have something less than 130 from the blues. Don’t really want to risk overcooking one so more than likely hit a 54° from wherever I’m at and live with it if it’s short as long as I’m generating some spin as I want to hold the green where I carry.

I usually draw my drive, which means aiming at the large bunker right edge. A 3 wood works best for me as going too long, into said bunker, is a no no. If memory serves me, it is 240 ish to that bunker.

BTW, this is a better tee box view

Whistling-Straits-(Irish)-2nd.jpg

This is early spring, Right now the grass is way WAY LONGER.

Last edited:
For number 2 I would need to figure distances out a bit but I may just rip driver at the trap. I hit driver quite straight and about 240 yards. I am kind of liking that without having more details.

I just checked and from the green tee, the bunker is 279. 240 ish is the edge of the pond where it makes its turn left.

I have attached a yardage book. Its just the individual books from Kohler's website merged into one pdf.

Attachments

• Irish-yardage.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Driver at bunker...If I make bunker it means I hit a nice drive and the bunker play isn't over any forced carry so all good.

Driver on two, water doesn’t approach my thoughts on this hole. Good drive leaves wedge in. Danny will have those drivers tuned in for you guys so seems like you have to with anything other than Par 3’s 😈

#2 sucks if you are worried about a hook. I found the lake both times I played it.
2778a630b07595a5a07a583c944cec19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back