2021: weakest part of your game and will you love it or list it?

Hitting greens from about 165 yards out and further. I realize the longer your approach the harder it is naturally, but I’ve got a pretty severe drop off where I’m largely successful up to about 155-160 and mostly unsuccessful from there on out. I am going to focus at the range this year on hitting my target with seven irons, six irons, and five irons.

The weakest part of my game is the most improved this last year, but still the weakest by a bit. Mid iron approach, including par 3's, and specifically at 7i-8i. It's always been my bugaboo because it just lives in a tough-sweet spot of mental approach, physical approach, and actual physical distance. I raised the numbers significantly this past year with focus on it, and it's not far behind the rest anymore.

I'll probably mostly love it, I guess, and keep doing what I'm doing with it. The level of improvement this year says to stick to the plan I think.

My biggest issue this year was iron play. There were flashes but inconsistency was the name of my game. I'll continue to work on it next year and perhaps next year will be the year I find consistency.

Short game/putting is the weakest part of my game. Definitely going to make an effort to change it but it’s very difficult to do over the winter

I always describe my putting as terrible, but it really isn't that bad, just kind of meh. Lots of room for improvement. But as I think back over the year, the weakest part of my game was chipping. I simply did not get close enough to get up and down very often. That's the biggest difference in scoring for me from 2020 to 2021.

I'm going to list it. Chipping gets an overhaul. I've gone back to basics and in most cases less loft. I just needs lots and lots of reps to better control distances.

Last edited:
Biggest issue was GIR. Working on it but it improved my short game so there is that

Driver. Listing it is in progress.

Distance with accuracy off the tee and I've been actively working on it for about 2 months now.

Chipping. I was too inconsistent as far as contact and distance control. Yes I plan on practicing more next year.

Driver. I hate my swing. Currently working with a college buddy to figure it out

Putting. Just pure trash. I'll get that fixed in 2022 with a bit of elbow grease and a relatively sore back.

Weakest part of my game was driver off the tee. Worked on it with a lesson and will continue to work on it over the winter and into next season.

Driver. I think I have the mechanics but I need to work on the mental aspects of teeing off.
If I think about the trees or unplayable rough on the right I usually hit it there.
If all I think about is aiming at a target I do much better.
The outcome of hitting it in a bunker is much better than when send it into the trees, so I have no issues hitting it hard at bunkers.

Putting was the big culprit once again. I am working on it and have a plan to get better.

Driving has been the worst part of my game for years. At the end of this year I decided to do something about it and find a driver head that worked better for me then what I have been playing. Looking to get some new tech this winter and leave my driver woahs behind me.

My biggest weakness in 2021 was not playing golf. Only got about six or seven rounds in all year. This will be fixed in 2022.

For me it was iron play, I had flashes of brilliance and then just some trash iron play. It got better as the season went along and already have a goal set for next year as far as % of GIR to hit per round.

Driving or long iron play. I'm going to keep working on it.

I think my reality is that I started golf after having 2 kids and trying to play when I'm not needed for family time. I'll not likely be scratch or anything anytime soon but I will continue to really enjoy playing.

short game and putting have been pretty aweful lately. I'll get the short game fixed as it used to be the best part of my game. Putting has always been bad and I need to fix it.

Driving and approach. Short game and putting kept me from having real blow ups.

Back