2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most that know me know that I am not into working out and that I love food. Normally my routine is lose some weight before PGA Show and then put it back on. Watching @GolferGal get healthy (she didnt need to) inspired me a bit, but when you move to a new area, you want to try all of the food.

2 weeks ago I started changing my diet a bit. Not starving myself from meals all day and then gorging at night and eating terrible snacks mixed in was a start as I changed to having a protein shake at breakfast and for dessert instead of cookies and ice cream so I still get some sweet. Reduced my sugar intake overall.

Down 13 lbs so far with no exercise added and had multiple days of eating what I want. Feels good and I have 10 more to go, but I am not sure this will be changing. Feeling much better throughout the day.

Most that know me know that I am not into working out and that I love food. Normally my routine is lose some weight before PGA Show and then put it back on. Watching @GolferGal get healthy (she didnt need to) inspired me a bit, but when you move to a new area, you want to try all of the food.

2 weeks ago I started changing my diet a bit. Not starving myself from meals all day and then gorging at night and eating terrible snacks mixed in was a start as I changed to having a protein shake at breakfast and for dessert instead of cookies and ice cream so I still get some sweet. Reduced my sugar intake overall.

Down 13 lbs so far with no exercise added and had multiple days of eating what I want. Feels good and I have 10 more to go, but I am not sure this will be changing. Feeling much better throughout the day.
That's awesome man! It's crazy how small things can make such a difference! You will hit that goal and you will want to set another one. Keep it up!

The pandemic helped me last year as I started a golf specific workout plan from Joey D. I increased my tempo on most of the exercises to increase my heart rate, but it still isn't true cardio (my Garmin tracks "active minutes" and a 1 hr golf workout usually results in about only 20 minutes of "high activity." In the better weather I went for runs, but once the Northeast winter hit (and without much skating during the hockey practices I coach and fewer practices) I definitely put on some weight. From about 205 to 220. I tend to workout less between Thanksgiving and the New Year and have to be careful not to go to hard or do too much with my practice so I don't get hurt.

Wife and I are getting a spin bike delivered soon and my desire to have less impact on my joints from running will hopefully lead to more workouts. On an unrelated note, eating healthier definitely helps! I try to limit my fatty, fried foods, red meat, and cheeses as much as possible.

I'm super proud of you, and love seeing you eating better. Your diet of cookies and coffee/energy drinks really scared me.

Most that know me know that I am not into working out and that I love food. Normally my routine is lose some weight before PGA Show and then put it back on.
Just so you know: So-called "yo-yo dieting," which is what you've been doing, is bad for your health. To the point many health experts feel being mildly overweight is less dangerous to your health than yo-yo dieting.

Down 13 lbs so far with no exercise added ... Feeling much better throughout the day.
Congratulations!

Just so you know: So-called "yo-yo dieting," which is what you've been doing, is bad for your health. To the point many health experts feel being mildly overweight is less dangerous to your health than yo-yo dieting.

Congratulations!

I'm aware. Sometimes you do things for your career that are not exactly the best endeavor but must for whatever reason.

I'm aware. Sometimes you do things for your career that are not exactly the best endeavor but must for whatever reason.
Don't I know that. I never realized just how badly my job stressed me until just recently. Going on four years retired and I'm just realizing how much.

Down 10 lbs (as of last Sunday's weigh in) since I started at the end of January. It's been coming off slower than I'd like, but then I really didn't put a lot of effort into it for a few weeks. I have been hitting the rowing machine and stationary bike harder this week, and surprisingly I'm not as sore as I though I would be. The weather is starting to warm here, and I'm looking forward to getting outside on the real bike. Of course, now it's going to rain here for the next week.

I had a Dr. appointment yesterday and my official weight was 192 (last year’s appointment was 211). All of my blood work was in a very good range. Crazy how that works. Funny that my BMI is 25 and says that I am overweight at 6’1. I don’t put much credence in the BMI.

I had a Dr. appointment yesterday and my official weight was 192 (last year’s appointment was 211). All of my blood work was in a very good range. Crazy how that works. Funny that my BMI is 25 and says that I am overweight at 6’1. I don’t put much credence in the BMI.
Nice! And BMI is a very crude measure - so crude it's essentially worthless for many people/

Weighed in at 193 today. Down 15 lb since Jan 1, but really only 1 lb over the past week or so. However, I think this might be a bit misleading because I’m still losing inches around my waist - belt notches are moving in the right direction. I’m hoping that because I’m lifting heavy, that I’m adding muscle - so maybe that’s why my overall weight isn’t dropping more.

I’m down 6 pounds since I started this 3 weeks ago! Shoutout to @Parrot and the bunch of you to keep me motivated. I’m feeling great (especially with the TheraOne Activate) and working off those Covid pounds. DDPYoga has been kicking up!

I'll take an official weigh in on Monday mornings since that is when I do them for consistency but I do sneak occasional "unofficial" weigh ins during the week. I expect come Monday I should officially cross the 50lb mark. I just missed it by a small amount last week. Several nights of range sessions with weather in the 60's should help out in increasing my activity this past week. I've been right around the expected 2lbs a week mark from myfitnesspal app over the last 3 weeks or so after losing a lot initially from tracking my calories.

I didn’t weigh Friday and likely will not like what I see later today when we get home from our getaway to the beach. It happens. It’s time to put in the effort and get back to the good foot.

I clocked in at 191 this morning. I am on a good trend with diet/exercise.

Alright fellas. After a couple of weeks of having a sinus infection and then tweaking my back and taking some time off the weights, it’s back to business tomorrow. Essentially been away from lifting almost a month and I can tell. But just a minor setback. Back to business tomorrow!

Staying on track, like dropping about 1 lb a week now since I started Dec 11th. I also quit the Diet Coke cold turkey then, what is about eliminating that helps to lose weight?

View attachment 8996945

SUGAR! Empty carbs! I used to be the guy who always had a 2L of Coke in the fridge, and would fall asleep with his hand in the potato chip bag! I got kind of chubby, and seeing a photo of myself showed me things that I did not see in the mirror, such is our gift for self deception! I cut those out cold turkey, and the weight just fell off of me! I was at 185 and dropped to 165 incredibly fast! I'm 5'9" BTW.

The only time I was heavier than that was when I was in HS and worked after school as the porter (clean up guy) in a supermarket bakery. The counter ladies, God bless them. would bring me anything that wasn't fit to be sold to the public. Creampuffs, chocolate eclairs, cream sticks, donuts, you name it I ate it all and washed it down with soda! I ballooned!

Come early Summer and we're invited to a pool party. I try to squeeze into last year bathing suit, and I can barely drag it up over my big fat ass! At 205lbs there was no room for self deception. I was FAT! So, I did the same thing. Cut out all the crap, and even cut back on my Mom's cooking! Her meals were delicious and nutritious, but I cut back from 2 helpings to 1! Although I might take 2 helpings of salad. And I started more physical activity.

To this day I am at 165. And I don't deprive myself other than the pop and chips. I enjoy good food. Even lasagna, spaghetti, ravioli, and other pasta dishes. I eat very little fast food, although I will indulge on occasion when it's convenient. In fact, I think it's a good idea to allow yourself a "day off" of the diet! Be disciplined 6 out of 7 days. That will do the job!

Ok - Down 20lbs for the year. Been working my A$$ a the gym 6 days a week.
Went back to my MFP and this is the fastest I've lost that much weight.
Go in tomorrow for my 60 day re-evaluation at the Fitness Center (Connected to a Hospital).
Be interested to see how much I've lost on my waist. My clothes fit better for sure.

Being doing Keto and with the wife on WW - it has helped for sure.
This year is the year I get it done!!!

Last edited:
Official weekly weigh in this morning. Down another 5.5 lbs from last week making it 55 lbs total. A lot of activity this past week now that weather is starting to break here in OH.

Good stuff gentleman!

Ok - Down 12.5 since the beginning of the year.
3 days of Cardio and 3 days of Weights & 15 minutes of Cardio seems to be working
Settling in with the Keto diet.
Many more to go.....
Wow!’ That is expressive. I set a goal at the beginning of the year to lose ten pounds.. I am only 12 pounds away now..

Finally dropped some weight! Got on the scale this morning and was down three pounds from this time last Monday. Interval fasted each day, Sunday evening through Friday afternoon, to finally convince my body I was not going to take "no" for an answer :)

Official weekly weigh in this morning. Down another 5.5 lbs from last week making it 55 lbs total. A lot of activity this past week now that weather is starting to break here in OH.

That is amazing! Great job, keep it up!

That is amazing! Great job, keep it up!

I feel a lot better even though I miss certain foods. It feels good to be thinking about buying smaller size clothes and as evidence by my range session last night I’m capable of hitting the ball farther than I ever have in a long time, maybe even ever.

In the standard programs, the longest are an hour, a few are 45, but most are around 30. Some days the units stack, with one being 30 coupled with a red hot core that lasts about 12 minutes. Fewer times, it will stack two longer units to total about an hour and 15, if I recall correctly. Its 3 times a week, mostly. I found it to be one of the easier programs to commit to from a time commitment standpoint, and you can edit the program schedule in case something comes up.

They also offer some live and individually selectable classes.
I left this in the back of my mind for a while, letting it mingle with that old, old video of Arthur walking again, and the more recent Joe Rogan podcasts with DDP and the Undertaker.
As a child, some 10 or 11 years old, i used to watch wrestling when i could. It was fairly hard to, because it was rarely on, and if it was, it was in the middle of the night, nestled between advertisements for phone sex that i definitely shouldn't have been watching at that age.
DDP doing yoga now, and apparently doing so quite succesfully... i don't know. If that's not hilarious and awesome, i don't know what is.

On March 1st i signed up for the website and took the pictures. Been doing 1-2 of the shorter workouts every day since to get used to the movements. First full length Diamond Cutter today. Too bad i won't be able to join for the live parts, but those all go to VOD, right?

I love the new update to the Tempo! It will create programs for you and the constant motivation to keep going is really great. I did a workout yesterday that left my legs feeling like jello, and I love that today they followed that up with a 30 minute lower body squat and mobility workout to help ease the soreness and improve mobility and flexibility.

I still haven't really lost any weight yet, but I am a 38 year old woman so I know it's not going to be as easy as it used to be, and certainly nowhere near as easy as it is for you guys. Hell JB is down like 10+ lbs and he hasn't stepped foot in a gym since high school haha.

But I'm at least motivated right now, so that's a good start. And I type this while eating some carrots and making a dent in my 64 oz of water. I haven't missed a day yet with the water, even if I am only at 9am when it's 7pm, I make sure it gets done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back