2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace cookies and candy with a protein bar, I have chosen Power Crunch, because it is much lower carb (not net carbs) than most others and isn't a chewy gawd awful tasting thing.
Replace chips with Qwest protein chips, which are honestly pretty darn good (loaded taco being my favorite).
Replace ice cream with a protein shake. We have a ton of the powders here (all different flavors), but my favorite is a Vegan Protein called Planta which has amazing flavors. Another really good choice so far as been Body Tech Fruit Cereal, which tastes just like fruity pebbles.

Your replacements really got my attention. The hardest things for me to resist while losing weight are my evening snacks and it's almost always more than one. I love fruit. I love cakes, pies, cookies and ice cream. I love chips, crackers and cheese or peanut butter. I used to eat celery in the evenings but, for some reason, the thought of it now is absolutely revolting. I've mixed in spicy pickled green beans but they don't hit the sweet jones.

I'm going to give the Power Crunch bars a try (salted caramel and key lime). I love fruit and cereal so I'm trying the Fruit Cereal protein shakes. If those go well, I'll order the chips.

Your replacements really got my attention. The hardest things for me to resist while losing weight are my evening snacks and it's almost always more than one. I love fruit. I love cakes, pies, cookies and ice cream. I love chips, crackers and cheese or peanut butter. I used to eat celery in the evenings but, for some reason, the thought of it now is absolutely revolting. I've mixed in spicy pickled green beans but they don't hit the sweet jones.

I'm going to give the Power Crunch bars a try (salted caramel and key lime). I love fruit and cereal so I'm trying the Fruit Cereal protein shakes. If those go well, I'll order the chips.

Ironically I have not tried either of those flavors, but have on hand, Vanilla, Peanut Butter Cream, Red Velvet Cake, Mint Chocolate and one other one and I like all of them. The Protein Shake about an hour after dinner has been a godsend for me to eliminate the sweets.

One of the best ways to eliminate cravings and hunger right from the get go is to get up in the morning and drink a bottle of water. You will be surprised at how much that does to curb cravings all day.

fill one up at night and put it on the night stand or by the sink in the bathroom. Somewhere you can easily grab it first thing in the morning.

The hardest things for me to resist while losing weight are my evening snacks and it's almost always more than one.
I'd have to say I'm in a similar boat. I have found that, just like that "one cigarette" after quitting smoking: If I don't start, it's easier to resist through the evening. Occasionally the urge doesn't go away, so I'll grab a small handful of nuts.

I love fruit. I love cakes, pies, cookies and ice cream. I love chips, crackers and cheese or peanut butter.
I love all those things, too. Well, much to my wife's chagrin, not fruit so much. But my real downfall is chocolate. I'm a chocoholic.

One of the best ways to eliminate cravings and hunger right from the get go is to get up in the morning and drink a bottle of water.
I do that, but more to re-hydrate first thing in the morning after going eight hours or more with no water intake.

I'd have to say I'm in a similar boat. I have found that, just like that "one cigarette" after quitting smoking: If I don't start, it's easier to resist through the evening. Occasionally the urge doesn't go away, so I'll grab a small handful of nuts.

I love all those things, too. Well, much to my wife's chagrin, not fruit so much. But my real downfall is chocolate. I'm a chocoholic.

I do that, but more to re-hydrate first thing in the morning after going eight hours or more with no water intake.

Yeah, being dehydrated is really want is causing the cravings so re-hydrating stops them.

This just reminded me I have celery I need to cut up, and some edamame hummus to dip it in.

Edamame should be should be soaked be soaked in soy and garlic and then grilled. Hummus, yuck.;)

Haha, I won't lie your way sounds way better, but this stuff isn't too bad. I love hummus, and I love edamame's so I figured I would give it a try. It's not bad, just not as flavorful as I would have hoped.

Haha, I won't lie your way sounds way better, but this stuff isn't too bad. I love hummus, and I love edamame's so I figured I would give it a try. It's not bad, just not as flavorful as I would have hoped.
There is a local place that has done butter bean hummus. I love butter beans but can't get there.

I've been pretty good on the nutrition front, and it's starting to pay off, but this evening through Sunday evening is going to do damage. Oh well
shrug2.gif

I've been pretty good on the nutrition front, and it's starting to pay off, but this evening through Sunday evening is going to do damage. Oh well
shrug2.gif

Just a blip on the long term radar. Get back on track Monday

At weigh in yesterday, I was down flat vs last week so not much has changed. Still down 17 lbs and I expect by Saturday I will be down .5 to 1 more. I'd like 7 more off before July, which seems really doable, and honestly this is the easiest time I have had with weight loss in my life.

Replace cookies and candy with a protein bar, I have chosen Power Crunch, because it is much lower carb (not net carbs) than most others and isn't a chewy gawd awful tasting thing.
Replace chips with Qwest protein chips, which are honestly pretty darn good (loaded taco being my favorite).
Replace ice cream with a protein shake. We have a ton of the powders here (all different flavors), but my favorite is a Vegan Protein called Planta which has amazing flavors. Another really good choice so far as been Body Tech Fruit Cereal, which tastes just like fruity pebbles.

Add in the fact that I normally worked through breakfast and lunch and then would eat tons later in the day, and now I am having a protein shake mid morning instead of nothing or garbage.

I have not been working out, not changed any other aspect, just those simple things and it is working for me. Shout out to @GolferGal for helping of course, as she knows her nutrition backwards and forwards.

I think the idea of looking at these as healthier replacements is great. The only thing I'm hesitating on is the sucralose (Splenda) sweetener these all have. It doesn't seem to agree with me. :mad:

My workout today included 2 minutes of surrenders. I may never stand up again.

That looks brutal for the upper thighs, hamstrings, and butt. I think the point of the move is to just surrender and just not get up. Isn't that the point of surrendering?

That looks brutal for the upper thighs, hamstrings, and butt. I think the point of the move is to just surrender and just not get up. Isn't that the point of surrendering?

I think so, that workout definitely made me it's b!tch.

The surrenders were after 4 sets of barbell back squats, 4 sets of barbell alternating front lunges followed by 4 sets of reverse lunges, 4 sets of jump squats and whole lot more. But of all of them, those surrenders are the worst.

I think so, that workout definitely made me it's b!tch.

The surrenders were after 4 sets of barbell back squats, 4 sets of barbell alternating front lunges followed by 4 sets of reverse lunges, 4 sets of jump squats and whole lot more. But of all of them, those surrenders are the worst.

You know what the best part of leg day is?

Spoiler
SKIPPING IT

You know what the best part of leg day is?

Spoiler
SKIPPING IT

You know what the best part of that workout was??? It wasn't even a leg workout, it was a 50 minute full body shred. There was a whole upper body portion too. After 6+ hours tearing up the backyard yesterday, and then that workout today, I'm done!

You know what the best part of that workout was??? It wasn't even a leg workout, it was a 50 minute full body shred. There was a whole upper body portion too. After 6+ hours tearing up the backyard yesterday, and then that workout today, I'm done!

Upper body day isn't ever quite as bad as lower body day. Yeah there's stiffness, but I can function and move around. A hard lower body day, I'm out of commission as far as doing anything mobile. If there was a giant wave of water coming towards me and I had to run to safety, I might as well just lay there on the ground. It's just gonna be easier that way.

Officially down 20 lbs.

While I will fluctuate here and there, since starting this according to this morning, 20 lbs less. Started at 204 and now 184.

The goal is 175 before major traveling starts this year because I always put weight on while traveling as we eat pretty darn well at THP Experiences haha.

Made it through March with a strategically limited diet. Getting back on the road bike for 3-4 rides/week, and that will ramp up to some longer rides and getting out on trails with the mountain bike. This year I want to keep more balance in my activities. I still have about 5-8 lbs I want to lose to get to what I feel is an optimal weight.

Officially down 20 lbs.

While I will fluctuate here and there, since starting this according to this morning, 20 lbs less. Started at 204 and now 184.

The goal is 175 before major traveling starts this year because I always put weight on while traveling as we eat pretty darn well at THP Experiences haha.
Going to use this thread as motivation to not only drop 25 or 30 lbs myself. Will try some of the products you posted earlier.

Man it sucks getting older. Swore off meat lovers pizza after a couple episode of indigestion that were to the point of making it hard to breath. Then a couple other episodes brought on by vacationing and eating to much fried seafood.

It’s time to change eating habits and work on health. Guessing it will also have positive results to my golf game. @GolferGal have any workout recommendations to help maintain of gain muscle while trimming the fat.

Going to use this thread as motivation to not only drop 25 or 30 lbs myself. Will try some of the products you posted earlier.

Man it sucks getting older. Swore off meat lovers pizza after a couple episode of indigestion that were to the point of making it hard to breath. Then a couple other episodes brought on by vacationing and eating to much fried seafood.

It’s time to change eating habits and work on health. Guessing it will also have positive results to my golf game. @GolferGal have any workout recommendations to help maintain of gain muscle while trimming the fat.

I’m not a licensed health professional or personal trainer so I don’t really have any real advice I can offer. What I can say is that diet is 80% of weight loss, so having that right is key. Make sure you get a good amount of protein in your diet to help gain and maintain that muscle, and eat clean to help lose the weight.

I bet there are a lot of people in here who can help with some workout tips for guys. I personally love HIIT workouts. I feel like I get the most bang for my buck when doing a HIIT workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back