2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I heard an interesting fact on the radio this past weekend. It takes 3-4 months of working out to get in shape, but only 2 weeks of not working out to get out of shape. Kind of crazy, but I believe it. Daughter's schedule has been so nuts this past month and a half with softball, so gym time has fell by the wayside, but should get to be back at it next week, which I am excited about. Also found out this past Friday that the wife is allergic to gluten so our diet is about to change big time at the end of this month after our daughter's last pageant. I told her I would do it with her, so she's not doing it alone, so I am a little nervous about it for a couple reasons (1. Wife is a super picky eater and 2. I have no clue where to begin on figuring out recipes), but excited to see what results weight wise it yields. Is there anyone in here that is also allergic to gluten that would have some advice or pointers on where to look for food recommendations?

Getting closer to my goals - Loss 43 lbs. since the beginning of the year.
On a good losing 2lbs per week roll last couple of weeks.
Summer is here and I have to hit hard - 30 to go by Labor Day.

I'm with you guys that have fallen off the wagon. Work and travel for work has been taking up the majority of my time lately and I can't seem to find, or carve out, an hour or so to get myself on the rower. My weight hasn't suffered, thankfully, but I definitely feel like I'm not doing myself any positives by not being as active as I should be. Next week is another busy work week with a lot of on site activity requiring my attendance so I have a feeling workouts will be a premium if I can get them in. I need to remember that if I don't make it a priority, nobody else will for me.

found out this past Friday that the wife is allergic to gluten so our diet is about to change big time
I got that diagnosis at the end of April. It’s not as big of a change as I expected. Happy to help if I can.

This app is a great help at the grocery. Its database has had about 90% of the items I’ve scanned.

9DB856DF-DDA1-48F4-BB3D-6039541B9957.jpeg

I got that diagnosis at the end of April. It’s not as big of a change as I expected. Happy to help if I can.

This app is a great help at the grocery. Its database has had about 90% of the items I’ve scanned.

View attachment 9010701
Thanks! I appreciate this. Is this just a scanner where you scan different things to see if it has gluten in it or does it have different foods in categories to help you pick stuff?

So, I heard an interesting fact on the radio this past weekend. It takes 3-4 months of working out to get in shape, but only 2 weeks of not working out to get out of shape. Kind of crazy, but I believe it. Daughter's schedule has been so nuts this past month and a half with softball, so gym time has fell by the wayside, but should get to be back at it next week, which I am excited about. Also found out this past Friday that the wife is allergic to gluten so our diet is about to change big time at the end of this month after our daughter's last pageant. I told her I would do it with her, so she's not doing it alone, so I am a little nervous about it for a couple reasons (1. Wife is a super picky eater and 2. I have no clue where to begin on figuring out recipes), but excited to see what results weight wise it yields. Is there anyone in here that is also allergic to gluten that would have some advice or pointers on where to look for food recommendations?

Slight nuance the the 2-week timeline mentioned above. Your body starts to lose the benefits of training after 2 weeks. Lots of examples of physically fit people end up in a hospital for an extended period. They go in ripped and exit as a bag of skin and bones. Once it starts, it goes quickly.

Researchers are studying bear hibernation to learn more about detraining. A bear can wake from a 3-month hibernation and immediately run 5 miles. If you wake a human after 3 months in a coma, then they'd struggle to sit. It can take a week of "training" before the person can stand and walk again.

Thanks! I appreciate this. Is this just a scanner where you scan different things to see if it has gluten in it or does it have different foods in categories to help you pick stuff?
Just a scanner as far as I know.

Started may 11th with 16:8 fasting and walking. Anyone who has met me from thp knows I'm a large human.

Today down 30lbs and have upped my distance and pace walking.

I think it's time I start adding cardio back into my routine, but I really hate it, so this is going to be a challenge.
Personally, I find HIIT much more interesting than any kind of "steady state" aerobic cardio.

... but only 2 weeks of not working out to get out of shape.
I guess that depends on one's definition of "out of shape." After two weeks you do begin to experience muscle mass loss, but it's not like two weeks off and you're in couch potato shape again.

As for me: Knee surgery was Thursday. It went well. I expect to be back in the gym NLT week after next. My weight is holding fairly well. Found out today I won the fat loss challenge at my gym despite a greatly-reduced workout regimen during the challenge :)

Last edited:
Personality, I find HIIT much more interesting than any kind of "steady state" aerobic cardio.

I guess that depends on one's definition of "out of shape." After two weeks you do begin to experience muscle mass loss, but it's not like two weeks off and you're in couch potato shape again.

As for me: Knee surgery was Thursday. It went well. I expect to be back in the gym NLT week after next. My weight is holding fairly well. Found out today I won the fat loss challenge at my gym despite a greatly-reduced workout regimen during the challenge :)
That’s more of less what I meant. I should have worded it different.

I'm with you guys that have fallen off the wagon. Work and travel for work has been taking up the majority of my time lately and I can't seem to find, or carve out, an hour or so to get myself on the rower. My weight hasn't suffered, thankfully, but I definitely feel like I'm not doing myself any positives by not being as active as I should be. Next week is another busy work week with a lot of on site activity requiring my attendance so I have a feeling workouts will be a premium if I can get them in. I need to remember that if I don't make it a priority, nobody else will for me.
Personally, I find HIIT much more interesting than any kind of "steady state" aerobic cardio.

I don't know what happened to the bottom
! But I like changes of pace as well. It's just like playing the same course over and over again! That does not interest me!

Exactly! People can get hooked on exercise just as much as they can get hooked on drugs! Thus the degree of worry if they take so much as a few days off!

After a full week of travel, and eating pretty poorly this weekend, I am up a bit. Weighed in this morning at 181.5 which is 2.5 up from before all of that.

Back on the train this week with being at home each night for dinner.

I've finally gotten a good morning routine down now between getting myself ready and doing all the parenting plus dropping off at daycare. But that better routine has gotten me back into making shakes for breakfast with the nutribullet. Back when I was losing weight, those were a staple in the diet. A small step, but it's something positive.

Down 3.5lbs this week - Down 45lbs for the year.
Bring on the Heat and the Golf!
Started to shop for clothes now as my "Skinnier" clothes don't have much variety.
Waiting for Father's Day sales to start happening...

My weight's creeping back up a bit, too. But by this time next week I should be able to get back to the gym and that deadly chocolate cake my loving wife made for me should be eaten-up :) I'll get back to the gym and back on my responsible diet track.

I just finished a 30 minute strength class where I was pretty sure my arms were going to fall off and I am not 100% sure I will be able to lift my arms to wash my hair haha, and then a 25 minutes core and conditioning class that left me completely dripping in sweat.

This was a great way to start off the week!

Or, you could do like me and lime and rototill it into the garden in the tropical heat and humidity we are "enjoying" right now. Man! Am I glad that's done!

I just finished a 35 minute strength class that was so hard I thought I was going to puke the last couple of sets. This new program is no joke!

I’m taking a much needed 5 minute break and then going to finish off this workout with 20 minutes of core and conditioning, and then stretching of course.

I just finished a 35 minute strength class that was so hard I thought I was going to puke the last couple of sets. This new program is no joke!

I’m taking a much needed 5 minute break and then going to finish off this workout with 20 minutes of core and conditioning, and then stretching of course.

And with that last class I have now completed 100 classes on the Tempo. I seriously love this machine!

Weigh in today brought me back to 179. Im feeling pretty good. Maybe good enough to celebrate by eating poorly tonight haha

Tempo has added a full time yoga instructor and he created an intro to yoga series so I decided to add that to my workout classes today. Wow, that felt fantastic! I am definitely going to be incorporating that more into my workouts. Yoga and a core workout will happen with just about everything I do from now on.

This new program I am doing on the tempo that is strength based is kicking my butt! I am SO sore, more then I have been with anything else I have done with the Tempo so far. I'm getting in my protein and BCAA's and that's all helping though, but I can definitely tell this is far more strength then cardio focused. I did the 20 minute assessment class today, the same as the one from last week, and I have already improved in every category, so that is kind of exciting.

I just need to get my eating a little more under control. I am being really good 70% of the time and I need to change that to a minimum of 80%, that's been my sweet spot forever, so I just need a little more discipline on the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back