2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking back in. I am down to 188 pounds from 202. Most of it has been the result of better eating. But I have changed my workout routine a bit. I have moved away from DDP Yoga, and have begun doing 30 push up and sit-ups every day. I am trying to work on my mental health with this as well, and part of that is trying to simplify things. So with that, I am trying the push up idea.

Last edited:
Checking in as well. Started 3/1 and a down 36.4 pounds. Started at 285.5 this mo at 249.1

So, i travel and work long hours, so working out is crazy difficult. But having success using the my fitness pal app. And changed my eating habits. The adage "you cant out run a fork" hit home with me. Even traveling it works but eat at subway a lot......just have to watch out for jareds foot long. Lol.

I made the very poor decision to get on the scale just now. Being a woman in her late 30's is amazing infuriating :mad: It took me a month to lose 3lbs and 1 week to gain it back. Good times!

I'm not discouraged, but maybe a little disappointed. It's just so much harder to see results at this stage of my life. But that's fine, challenge accepted!

It's tough to keep the scale going in the right direction. I finally got back below 190 lb 2 days ago, and the next day was up to 197. But I'm playing the long game - if I keep making good choices food-wise & keep working out (weights, rowing, running, biking, etc), I'll eventually get where I want to be

I took a keto break after a round of golf yesterday. Pizza and beer. That was the first alcohol I’ve had in 8 weeks and after 3 beers, woke up at 2 in the morning with what I swear felt like a hangover. I may not survive our family beach trip in a couple weeks 🤣

Anyone have any body weight golf workouts Been? I've done body weight workouts before and my regular golf workout is a combo of free weights, Bands, and medicine balls.

Been on vacation for a while (teachers). We walked a ton in the heat in Vegas the 3rd week of June and felt pretty good despite eating very well there. Spent a week at my parents on the north shore of Mass and had a few days recovering from Vegas and then it was too hot to do much. No ac in the downstairs room with the treadmill and limited stuff. Went back to our apartment for a week to do some chores and for my wife to take an online seminar. Used the bike everyday and did 3 of my golf workouts (Joey D program using Bands and medicine balls). Back at my parents for a week (including more hot days and 3 days of tropical rain) and feeling...fluffy! Going to Maine to her parents where at least they have a treadmill and Bands. But...no ac there. Hoping the weather is ok.

I treaded water last week after having lost 5 lbs. I don't think that is terrible considering we had 2 funerals to attend and the obligatory gather at the house to eat with the family and a rehearsal dinner and wedding reception. I tried hard to be good but I had to get into the kibbeh, dolmas, taboulleh, ma'moul (sp?) and baklava at the reception.

Let's get after it this week.

Went on a Guys Golfing trip this weekend and really tried to stay on my diet when I could.
I could tell that I wasn't eating enough as sometimes I would have the slight shakes or would feel nauseous.
Protein Bars only do so much.

Played 6 rounds in 4 days.
Managed to drop 3.7lbs for the week last week.
Puts me at near a 55lbs loss for the year.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get back on this bus. After a lot of bad eating and work stress I've got back to my diet and am down just over 3 pounds in the last week.

So since finding out that the wife was allergic to gluten, I have been doing a lot of looking for recipes and I stumbled across the below website. I've cooked one meal from them so far and it was great. Enough that the wife wanted it again. We usually plan out our dinners for the week and then cook enough to have left overs for lunch the next day. This week was a little hectic being a short week but we are back at it next week. There are over 200 recipes from breakfast, dinner and snacks and desserts. Looking forward to the few I have planned out for us next week, but I'll be going to the website to get them every week moving forward.

Recipe Collections | Downshiftology

We had the teriyaki chicken and rice. Wife usually doesn't do white rice plain but with the teriyaki chicken on top of it she loved it. Going to have the taco soup tonight and for next week we have:

Best Chicken and Rice (one pan)
Slow cooker pulled pork
Zuchinni lasagna
Chicken Stir Fry
Carne Asada Tacos
Chili

So update on these recipes so far. Life has been a little more hectic that we had prepared lately, but we have had a few of these recipes so far and they have been absolutely delicious!!! We have had the Teriyaki Chicken w/ Rice, Taco Soup, and Chicken Stir Fry. Gah, they are so good! Grocery bill is a little higher as we are cooking with more fresh ingredients instead of processed stuff, but it's so worth it. I put the flank steak in the marinade last night, so we can have the Carne Asada Tacos tonight and layed out the chicken to thaw so I can prep it tonight for the Best Chicken and Rice (one pan). So far, I am super impressed with the recipes on this website. Marinades have been fantastic. Big thing we have learned is to make sure we fully read the recipe because some of them take hours of marinating the meat. Other quick tip and this is in general, we have discovered frozen garlic portions. Each portion is pureed worth 1 clove. You just push it out of the little slot and then throw the rest back in the freezer. Super easy and blends much better!

Went on a Guys Golfing trip this weekend and really tried to stay on my diet when I could.
I could tell that I wasn't eating enough as sometimes I would have the slight shakes or would feel nauseous.
Protein Bars only do so much.

Played 6 rounds in 4 days.
Managed to drop 3.7lbs for the week last week.
Puts me at near a 55lbs for the year.

I have the thing end of this month, I plan to take snacks that I can safely eat on the course, some fruit, nuts protein shakes and bars. The rest of the days/time will be trade offs - try to find things that are healthy and not over do the rest. Sometimes, going off the diet allows the body to 'reset' in my opinion.

I have graduated from my diet/nutritionist. Total loss is 97 lbs. I really want that last 3 to make it an even 100 - just to say I did, then - MAYBE 7.1 more to be on the scale under 200 lbs - one time - again to say I did.

I have fluctuated between 209 and 213 since graduating - so I guess I am still ok - have been graduated for about 2+ months now. I still mostly eat what they had me on, but I take liberties here and there - not every day mind you, but on trips or in day to day eating I may have something - perhaps more cashews or an extra fruit. Anyway, great work on the diet - keep it up, whatever your goal it's attainable and sustainable.

Just (for me) a matter of monitoring, adjusting, and making occasional tradeoffs. - at least so far.

I have the thing end of this month, I plan to take snacks that I can safely eat on the course, some fruit, nuts protein shakes and bars. The rest of the days/time will be trade offs - try to find things that are healthy and not over do the rest. Sometimes, going off the diet allows the body to 'reset' in my opinion.

I have graduated from my diet/nutritionist. Total loss is 97 lbs. I really want that last 3 to make it an even 100 - just to say I did, then - MAYBE 7.1 more to be on the scale under 200 lbs - one time - again to say I did.

I have fluctuated between 209 and 213 since graduating - so I guess I am still ok - have been graduated for about 2+ months now. I still mostly eat what they had me on, but I take liberties here and there - not every day mind you, but on trips or in day to day eating I may have something - perhaps more cashews or an extra fruit. Anyway, great work on the diet - keep it up, whatever your goal it's attainable and sustainable.

Just (for me) a matter of monitoring, adjusting, and making occasional tradeoffs. - at least so far.
I need to do the same thing and plan safe snacks for the course. That is an area which has bit me in the past.

I need to do the same thing and plan safe snacks for the course. That is an area which has bit me in the past.
Each time I go out for a round, I try to bring food from home - as noted earlier, just snacks - but nothing 'bad.' I bring my own water too - and the electrolyte version of Mio to flavor the water. I bring a couple fruits (one if riding), and nuts, and either a bar or shake - sometimes both. I can have all of that, it may end up replacing a meal, but I spread the food around, something about the 5th, then 10th, and maybe 14 or 15. Seems to keep the energy level up a bit as well - and I make sure I drink about 48oz or more of the water - usually more (but it's a give or take too). If I do this - even riding, then I feel I can eat more normal after play (dinner), and not worry about any issues. But, I don't deviate too much on any given day - as my nutritionist says, try a cheat meal vice a cheat day and it'll all mostly balance out.

Taco/Mexican Food truck comes to town once a week and sends me on a downward spiral towards bad choices, LOL.

Getting back on track this week. Every day at the gym and getting back on the protein shake train. Really gotta find ways to get soda out of my diet, because I know it will cause massive amounts of change.

Taco/Mexican Food truck comes to town once a week and sends me on a downward spiral towards bad choices, LOL.

Getting back on track this week. Every day at the gym and getting back on the protein shake train. Really gotta find ways to get soda out of my diet, because I know it will cause massive amounts of change.
Soda is by far the hardest thing to cut out of a diet, IMO. I remember when I would deploy, our Commanding Officer got rid of the soda machines on the sub, and the first thing I would crave when pulling back in after not having one for 6 weeks was an ice cold can of Coca-Cola and then it was a downward spiral after that lol.

Soda is by far the hardest thing to cut out of a diet, IMO. I remember when I would deploy, our Commanding Officer got rid of the soda machines on the sub, and the first thing I would crave when pulling back in after not having one for 6 weeks was an ice cold can of Coca-Cola and then it was a downward spiral after that lol.

At times I don't even like it, it's just become so much of a routine I keep doing it. Then there are other times where it's the only thing that hits the spot. We're moving to a new house in a couple of weeks. Hoping with the change I can use that as a breaking point - nothing after this date. I've quick cold turkey before and gone as long as 8 months w/o, but sticking with it is the hardest part.

Ramped up the weight and intensity today at the gym, and mistakes were maaadddeeee. You know it's good when a couple hours after your workout, you still feel the jello in your upper body.

-18 the last 5 weeks. 9 to go.

I expected a few pounds lost. I had fewer indulgences of bad foods for weight loss. But, I didn’t lose or gain. That’s not a bad thing, just a little disappointing.

Not gaining is a good thing, are you close to your goal or in a bit of a plateau? Are you exercising more without adding protein to offset (as shake perhaps). I know, I forget the shake on workouts more than I remember it, so my body will sometimes 'shut down' and I register no loss. I know, it sounds counterintuitive, but you need to increase protein on workout days (if that's part of your routine).

This is spot on for me. I’m struggling to exclude those. There is a gas station that has perfect ice (better than Sonic) and the best fountain mix of Coca-Cola that I’ve found. I’ve been pretty good about limiting myself to no more than 2/week and do those half and half Coke and Coke Zero.

This is spot on for me. I’m struggling to exclude those. There is a gas station that has perfect ice (better than Sonic) and the best fountain mix of Coca-Cola that I’ve found. I’ve been pretty good about limiting myself to no more than 2/week and do those half and half Coke and Coke Zero.
Wife and I wanted something to drink yesterday afternoon when we were at walmart so we went to the Sonic next door. I got a Coke Zero and she asked me why I didn't order a regular Coke and I just looked at her and shrugged my shoulders lol. It's so hard to cut soda out.

I am officially down 40lbs, started May 11th with exercise and 16:8 intermittent fasting.

Yesterday was my first cheat day and I had a burger and a hotdog that I grilled. Even with all of that I still was under 1800 calories, but all day yesterday we redid or whole front yard in 95 degree heat. I was lifting bags of soil, rocks, pavers, digging holes for plants, walked 2.85 miles, pushing wheel barrow full of pebbles so I figured it was probably the best day to it to celebrate 40 down and I burned enough calories it shouldn't have done much, I still did my 16:8 fasting so I don't feel too bad.

Last edited:
Back in the saddle this morning got real lazy for 4-5 months. Granted I hit balls most days so that is sort of a workout.

Not gaining is a good thing, are you close to your goal or in a bit of a plateau? Are you exercising more without adding protein to offset (as shake perhaps). I know, I forget the shake on workouts more than I remember it, so my body will sometimes 'shut down' and I register no loss. I know, it sounds counterintuitive, but you need to increase protein on workout days (if that's part of your routine).

I'm not near my goal. I think the biggest thing was I didn't watch my portions or when I ate, especially the couple of times I really over did it. When I'm attentive to that, I have better results.

I'd love to walk more but that is painful on a knee that will be replaced in 3 weeks. I was a little surprised at the pain from riding my indoor bike. I didn't expect it. I haven't been good at finding alternatives that place little stress on my knee.

Wife and I wanted something to drink yesterday afternoon when we were at walmart so we went to the Sonic next door. I got a Coke Zero and she asked me why I didn't order a regular Coke and I just looked at her and shrugged my shoulders lol. It's so hard to cut soda out.

At least, you didn't have a Coke float!

I'm not near my goal. I think the biggest thing was I didn't watch my portions or when I ate, especially the couple of times I really over did it. When I'm attentive to that, I have better results.

I'd love to walk more but that is painful on a knee that will be replaced in 3 weeks. I was a little surprised at the pain from riding my indoor bike. I didn't expect it. I haven't been good at finding alternatives that place little stress on my knee.

At least, you didn't have a Coke float!
Well, I did have a red, white and blue slushy float thing, lol

I think this is the hard part to accept as you go on this loss journey. I don't let me bother me anymore when I have a day or two of no gain.
Stick to your dieting principals that got you where you are at now and it will all balance out.

Ecked out a .2 loss last week with walking 9 and 18 holes. The body is tired after almost 7 months of "stress" and tried to give it a break last week.
Back on the "Grindstone" this week though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back