2022 Better You Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to do that with the treadmill. I had it set up outside on the screened in patio and we had a TV out there and I would run and watch shows, and then jump in the pool after. It was great 9 months out of the year. June, July and August were just too hot.

How nice that your "off" months were determind by when it was "too hot", rather than too cold!

I’m not a morning person. It’s time to embrace that and give up the dream of working out in the morning. Quick workout tonight. It was enough to ensure I’m going to be sore tomorrow.

Make that 61 weeks now. I shorted myself yesterday.

Yesterday:
Skillmill Level 6 for 7.5 min
Super Speed Sticks Protocol 2
Core Exercises for 30 min
Walk for 10 min.

Today will be a 1 hour walk as a "Rest Day"

11 Days Down! I took the outdoor exercise a bit easier last night, ended up with just a 45 minute walk, no running, which I think was the right call.

I am going to continue to listen to my body a bit more, with 64 more days of this challenge, I don't want to burn myself out too quickly.

The indoor workouts continue to be extremely productive. Had an excellent Chest/Shoulders/Tricep workout today, and just finished up my reading, still working through "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins, which I highly recommend to anyone on a fitness or self-improvement journey.

Haven’t been this sore in a long while. Woke up this morning and couldn’t straighten my arms 😅

ALSO! Does anyone take any pre workout, post workout, specific supplements, protein etc.? I feel like I’ve heard mixed views and would love to hear your guys thoughts and opinions!

ALSO! Does anyone take any pre workout, post workout, specific supplements, protein etc.? I feel like I’ve heard mixed views and would love to hear your guys thoughts and opinions!

I take the following:
  • Pre-Workout (Not every day, but definitely those days where I am dragging a bit)
  • Protein Supplement
  • Multivitamin
  • Fish Oil
  • Vitamin D3
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, not a nutritionist, but I do a lot of research before I put stuff in my body.

I take the following:
  • Pre-Workout (Not every day, but definitely those days where I am dragging a bit)
  • Protein Supplement
  • Multivitamin
  • Fish Oil
  • Vitamin D3
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, not a nutritionist, but I do a lot of research before I put stuff in my body.
Anything specific you look for (or make sure it doesn’t have) in a pre workout and protein?

Haven’t been this sore in a long while. Woke up this morning and couldn’t straighten my arms 😅
I know the feeling! Just continue to try to straighten them more and more throughout the day to help loosen up the muscle a little bit at a time.

I take:
  • Pre-work out (only in the morning with traditional lifting/strength training... If I'm doing HIIT or cardio I don't take it)
  • Post workout protein isolate (protein isolate is fast digesting for your body to use immediately - should only be mixed with water)
  • Protein "meal replacement" (only strictly as a supplement if I'm low on my protein goal for the day... Not to actually replace any whole food meals)
  • Vitamins - multivitamin, probiotic, antioxidant, EFA, CoQ10, fruits & veggie
  • Greens & Reds powder to fill in gaps from lack of variety in whole foods.

Anything specific you look for (or make sure it doesn’t have) in a pre workout and protein?

For Protein, I personally prefer a blend of Whey/Casein, and for taste/ingredients, PEScience has been the winner for me. Some people prefer a vegan protein, just depends if you have any issues digesting protein supplements, but I love PEScience, the flavors and ingredients are top-notch.

As for a Pre-Workout, first thing is to determine if you want a "stim" or a "stim-free" version, effectively whether you want it to be caffeinated. Since I workout at 5AM, Caffeine is a must for me, and I have recently been using Gorilla Mode Pre-Workout from Gorilla Mind.

It has Caffeine Creatine and some "pump agents" in it like L-Citrulline that help force blood into the muscles.

"Examine" is a great resource online for learning more about supplements and what they do, backed by research studies.

I know the feeling! Just continue to try to straighten them more and more throughout the day to help loosen up the muscle a little bit at a time.

I take:
  • Pre-work out (only in the morning with traditional lifting/strength training... If I'm doing HIIT or cardio I don't take it)
  • Post workout protein isolate (protein isolate is fast digesting for your body to use immediately - should only be mixed with water)
  • Protein "meal replacement" (only strictly as a supplement if I'm low on my protein goal for the day... Not to actually replace any whole food meals)
  • Vitamins - multivitamin, probiotic, antioxidant, EFA, CoQ10, fruits & veggie
  • Greens & Reds powder to fill in gaps from lack of variety in whole foods.
The pre workout for lifting and strength training intrigues me. In the past, I’ve only taken it for hiit and cardio as I feel like I would need the extra umph to keep going. I’ll have to try it with strength training!

The pre workout for lifting and strength training intrigues me. In the past, I’ve only taken it for hiit and cardio as I feel like I would need the extra umph to keep going. I’ll have to try it with strength training!

It really shines, at least for me, in strength training. I would totally agree with @Sarzar that is where you will see the largest benefit imo.

For Protein, I personally prefer a blend of Whey/Casein, and for taste/ingredients, PEScience has been the winner for me. Some people prefer a vegan protein, just depends if you have any issues digesting protein supplements, but I love PEScience, the flavors and ingredients are top-notch.

As for a Pre-Workout, first thing is to determine if you want a "stim" or a "stim-free" version, effectively whether you want it to be caffeinated. Since I workout at 5AM, Caffeine is a must for me, and I have recently been using Gorilla Mode Pre-Workout from Gorilla Mind.

It has Caffeine Creatine and some "pump agents" in it like L-Citrulline that help force blood into the muscles.

"Examine" is a great resource online for learning more about supplements and what they do, backed by research studies.
Thank you sir! With my background in Chem and bio, I have a little understanding of it all but definitely haven’t put much specific research into it all. Seems like there is so much out there and everyone claims theirs is the best!

It really shines, at least for me, in strength training. I would totally agree with @Sarzar that is where you will see the largest benefit imo.
Yeah I felt like it usually has just made me sick when I’ve used it in the past. I figured it was just not for me, but maybe I’ve just been using it wrong!

Thank you sir! With my background in Chem and bio, I have a little understanding of it all but definitely haven’t put much specific research into it all. Seems like there is so much out there and everyone claims theirs is the best!

The fitness industry is FULL of Marketing BS that has to be sorted through.

I will tell you a few of the companies I really respect in the industry (this isn't all-encompassing, and I DEFINITELY haven't tried everything out there):

• BPN
  • PEScience
  • Gorilla Mind
  • Legion Athletics

I would stay away from most of the stuff you might see on Facebook/IG Advertising.

Yeah I felt like it usually has just made me sick when I’ve used it in the past. I figured it was just not for me, but maybe I’ve just been using it wrong!

You might try lower doses, or move to a "stimulant-free" option. I find that if I take a break from pre, and then go back in with a full dose, I can get quite nauseous myself.

I drink black coffee when I train. It's cheaper and just as effective as any preworkout on the market. In the summer, I drink cold brew coffee. I use a whey powder in the mornings, I don't consider that a supplement though. Creatine is good, there is clinical benefit for it with active recovery. 5g is all you need daily. I also take a fiber supplement, keep the guts healthy and moving.

If I use a pre-work out while doing HIIT/cardio it has to be one without any stimulants.
Like @TexasHacker34 said ... If your feeling sick from it, your probably using too much for what your body can handle.
With preworkouts always start out with a half dose to see how your body will react to it.
Also I tend to feel sick using preworkouts with HIIT cause my heart rate just gets way too high that's why I go with stimulus free if I have too.

All of my supplements personally are 1st phorm and I love them. Before I switched to them I was using Isopure protein for post workout. You can send me a DM if you have specific questions.

Thanks everyone!!

Ended my first week of the Calimoves at-home body weight workout package.
24 weeks to go.

I hurt in places I didn't know I could hurt.

Just got done. Working out on this snow day.

20 min ride in Peloton
Shoulder workout in Tonal…. My shoulders are spent, on fire, and now can’t lift them

I got in a great Full body heavy lifting class, and thought, you know what I will follow this up with one of the boxing classes from this program since the last class was so easy, it will be a nice, light calorie burn, but nothing major, like getting some steps in, nothing really more active then that. I was SO wrong. So, so, so wrong! Turns out boxing class #2 is a cardio boxing class. That was such a mistake, but I was already in it at that point so I did it.

Weight Lifting was three sets of every exercise and went as Follows:
DB Squat x8
Goblet Alt. Forward Lunge x12
Banded Clamshell
DB Alt. Curtsy Lunge x10
DB Bent Over Low Row (hit a PR here) x8
Push Up (all big girl pushups, I am so proud lol) x8
Kneeling Shoulder Press x8
Bear Crawl Shoulder Taps

Then my dumba** did this cardio boxing class which was so sweaty!
Round 1
- You go down the list then back up for 1 complete round (everything for 40 seconds with 10 second breaks in between except the 6-3-2 that was a full minute)
Elevator 1's and 2's
Full Burpee with Punches (when you jump up you then throw a 1-2 punch, then back down)
1-1-2 Slip Front Slip Back
Sprawl + 6 Mountain Climbers
6-3-2

Round 2 - Repeat of Round 1

Round 3 - Same instructions as round 1
Pivot Lunges
Full Burpee + 4 High Knees
1-2-3 Slip front Slip Back
Sprawl + 2 Pop Squats
1-2-3 Slip Back 6-3-2

Round 4 - Repeat of Round 3

Just joined a gym today. Now I just have to get there!

Switched back to day shift today so my schedule is all out of whack.
My whole body is sore from my workouts this week so took a little rest day today.

Planning on getting after it tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back