2022 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Another great write up @Jman thank you. I have more of a lack of knowledge question - when it comes to spin. What is "to much spin", as in people move down a ball with lower spin but I'm always hearing about balls not "catching" due to lack of spin and rolling out further than intended. When getting fit for a ball is there an ideal number for most people or is it more person dependent due to the swing style someone has?

Chrome Soft X LS & Chrome Soft X Review

Driver
Off the tee, both of these balls are very hot. They are both on the higher compression side, but they don’t feel like rocks off the driver. They pair very nicely with the new line of drivers. The launch and spin differences between the two models was not significant for me, which is a good thing! They both come off with a relatively high launch and low spin with the LS being slightly higher launch and about 100rpm lower spin. Not sure if this is based on strike variance, but I like that they have such a similar profile off the driver.

Irons
This is where the performance characteristics really separate between the X and the LS. They are both very fast off the club like they were with the driver, and the launch was pretty similar (LS maybe a touch lower than X). The spin difference was noticeable however. The LS was consistently 300-400 rpm lower than the X, which is great for someone like me who struggles with excess iron spin. The major improvement from the original LS is how much softer the cover feels off the irons. I actually got the chance to play the LS and the X during the singles round at the Dye. Through 8 holes, I noticed that the greens were more firm than they were on the Clive and approaches were running out more than the day prior. I switched to the X for the back 9, and it was a seamless change. They feel so similar now that I can envision myself using both balls depending on where I’m playing and what the conditions are like. If I’m playing in very dry conditions or at altitude, I can definitely see myself using the regular X where extra spin is helpful to hold greens. On an every day basis in Ohio, the CSX LS will be the ball I go to because it’s typically soft enough where I don’t need that spin boost.

Wedges
If you didn’t tell me which ball you had in front of me from 50 yards, I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. This is also the biggest improvement for the CSX LS. There was some inconsistency with some wedge shots that seemed to come off without any spin if it wasn’t nipped just right on the partial shots. There was a few shots last season that stood out to me where I thought I hit a good pitch, and it just didn’t stop. That doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore with the new cover. The feedback is phenomenal, and also so much softer than the original. When you hit it perfect, it feels great. When you miss it by a groove, it feels much better than the original and more importantly, you don’t get the spin drop offs that run out 10 feet past where you thought they’d stop.

Putter
Off the putter, the new cover of the LS feels significantly better as well similarly to the wedges. The cover improvements are fantastic, and the Triple Track is the best alignment aid in golf.

Durability
This is the one concern I still have with the CSX LS. There was one ball in California that was noticeable scuffed up after a bunker shot that I hit well and was unusable after that. I didn’t notice any damage outside of the expected from normal play, but this is something I will be paying attention to this season.

Overall Thoughts
These golf balls are phenomenal! The quality control in the production is unmatched, and after talking in depth with Finley. I know all 3 golf balls in every sleeves of Chrome Soft will be exactly the same. They feel great off of every club, and they are very consistent. The X and LS perform exactly as advertised. If you liked the original LS, you’re going to love the upgrades. The LS will be my ball of choice for the foreseeable future.
Thank you for writing this, a great compliment to the other review, provides additional first hand usage and thoughts.

@cm24 Great write up! Look forward to trying these when they come out!

Okay now that we're on page 2 and it'll get less noticed, I have to say this, because I'm me. I already said a bunch of nice things and meant them.

But when I read the article, and the focus on "concentricity offset", I knew where it was going, but it still surprised me. Because for them to say repeatedly that their off-center cores didn't significantly affect flight or performance during that past thing, but now say (admit?) that it can cause variations of up to "2.7 MPH, 2.1° launch, and 1200 RPM of spin differences" and is now quality controlled to within 1/1000th of an inch to insure against that, I couldn't help but wonder if some important date for legal action against them had passed or something. Like a we don't give a f**k anymore date. Maybe even just on pubic/customer opinion. Because that's a pretty massive reversal, and effectively, admission.

All for going above and beyond to get it sorted out. Love quantity control. Enjoying the LS improvements. That actual statement, instead of just claiming to have the 'most centered ball', or exact to within that 1/1000th" or whatever, made my eyes wide in reading though.

So Graphene is out?

Sounds like Callaway has really made an investment in their QC which was needed IMO. I am looking for a lower spinning ball than a ProV1 this year and the Chrome Soft or the AVX are my main 2 choices. I am going to test both this winter and spring so I will definitely have some feedback here.

Also, another very informative write up @Jman. You've had a busy holiday season!!

Okay now that we're on page 2 and it'll get less noticed, I have to say this, because I'm me. I already said a bunch of nice things and meant them.

But when I read the article, and the focus on "concentricity offset", I knew where it was going, but it still surprised me. Because for them to say repeatedly that their off-center cores didn't significantly affect flight or performance during that past thing, but now say (admit?) that it can cause variations of up to "2.7 MPH, 2.1° launch, and 1200 RPM of spin differences" and is now quality controlled to within 1/1000th of an inch to insure against that, I couldn't help but wonder if some important date for legal action against them had passed or something. Like a we don't give a f**k anymore date. Maybe even just on pubic/customer opinion. Because that's a pretty massive reversal, and effectively, admission.

All for going above and beyond to get it sorted out. Love quantity control. Enjoying the LS improvements. That actual statement, instead of just claiming to have the 'most centered ball', or exact to within that 1/1000th" or whatever, made my eyes wide in reading though.
You don't point out your problems until you fix them. Then you act like you're the only one that does things this high quality. That's the corporate marketing way 😂

They were already in process of fixing it all before that shock article went up, fwiw.

You don't point out your problems until you fix them. Then you act like you're the only one that does things this high quality. That's the corporate marketing way 😂
To be fair, no one else is using 3D X-ray, X-ray yes, not this newest setup where they can look at every single layer.

Then you act like you're the only one that does things this high quality. That's the corporate marketing way 😂
To be fair, that isn't what took place. As a company they said there were issues previously, made a huge investment starting 3-4 years ago. And they are the only ones doing this.

To be fair, that isn't what took place. As a company they said there were issues previously, made a huge investment starting 3-4 years ago. And they are the only ones doing this.
I think publicly they kind of acted like they were unfairly targeted, but obviously spending $50 million to do better says they knew they had an issue. I agree this sounds like the next level in QC which is great, but they definitely had a QC issue.

Beginning in 2019, the Chrome Soft X Triple Track was my favorite ball in every way with the exception of feel off the putter and some irons. When the CSX LS launched last year, I was resistant to try it because I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it it" ideology. Still, a few guys on our team were relentlessly singing its praises. I finally decided to try it and found that it performed better for me in the wind, played a touch longer, and still stopped on the greens. I literally said to our team, "if they made this ball a touch softer, it would probably be the perfect golf ball"....

Enter the 2022 Chrome Soft X LS.... They took all of the best aspects of the previous ball and softened the outer layer. Of course, there are other improvements as noted in the THP article, but the noticeable difference for me was in feel and I LOOOOOOOVE it. Off the putter, wedges, driver and woods, it is money. While at The Hideaway on Singles Day, I noticed that the guys playing the LS struggled less in the wind that we were facing later in the day. It cuts through and holds its line like a champ. I haven't had much SIM time since we have limited access here and our local Edwin Watts GC2 was down for weeks after I returned, but suffice to say as soon as I can get some ball data I will. They should also have a GC Quad shortly and that will help a ton.

In the interim, I will just say the Chrome Soft X LS is the best Callaway ball to date and getting a chance to see how it is literally saving strokes on tour was a huge boost of confidence when putting it in play. We're not tour players, but everyone one of us has a great round when we get the best out of our ball and in this case, the "best" just got better.

Sounds like a solid improvement and 3D x-ray? :oops: Thats pretty damn cool. Funny how much tech goes into this little tiny ball.

I really believe the CSX was the best ball I put in play last year for me and they will be gamed again this year. I never tried the LS as I don't think I really need it but the fact that listened and improved is impressive.

I think publicly they kind of acted like they were unfairly targeted, but obviously spending $50 million to do better says they knew they had an issue. I agree this sounds like the next level in QC which is great, but they definitely had a QC issue.
I guess I viewed it differently as they definitely talked about issues in the past. Even saying so on THP's podcast and in our interviews. The issue they took was timing, as in when a hit piece comes out, and takes credit for change, the change had already taken place and had no bearing on the investment. But its the internet and when an axe exists, one will grind it.

Beginning in 2019, the Chrome Soft X Triple Track was my favorite ball in every way with the exception of feel off the putter and some irons. When the CSX LS launched last year, I was resistant to try it because I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it it" ideology. Still, a few guys on our team were relentlessly singing its praises. I finally decided to try it and found that it performed better for me in the wind, played a touch longer, and still stopped on the greens. I literally said to our team, "if they made this ball a touch softer, it would probably be the perfect golf ball"....

Enter the 2022 Chrome Soft X LS.... They took all of the best aspects of the previous ball and softened the outer layer. Of course, there are other improvements as noted in the THP article, but the noticeable difference for me was in feel and I LOOOOOOOVE it. Off the putter, wedges, driver and woods, it is money. While at The Hideaway on Singles Day, I noticed that the guys playing the LS struggled less in the wind that we were facing later in the day. It cuts through and holds its line like a champ. I haven't had much SIM time since we have limited access here and our local Edwin Watts GC2 was down for weeks after I returned, but suffice to say as soon as I can get some ball data I will. They should also have a GC Quad shortly and that will help a ton.

In the interim, I will just say the Chrome Soft X LS is the best Callaway ball to date and getting a chance to see how it is literally saving strokes on tour was a huge boost of confidence when putting it in play. We're not tour players, but everyone one of us has a great round when we get the best out of our ball and in this case, the "best" just got better.
Feel for me in huge, especially on or around the green. Love hearing this!

They definitely had a QC issue (which they admitted), but interestingly enough, they weren't the only ones. A certain site positioned it that way, but social media showed users splitting their balls during the height of the #ballgate craze and found the same issues with almost every manufacturer, including the "big boys". The investment means they knew there were issues and have done more than any to fix them.

Great Preview as always James.

I play the Chrome Soft X LS, and this data very much intrigues me: This new softer cover in cooperation with the new core has increased the ball speed, but also managed to increase spin around the greens while lowering it elsewhere. Testing shows almost 1 MPH of added ball speed while dropping off over 100 RPM’s from the driver and 7i.

I look forward to seeing if I can appreciate the difference from last years ball, once I go through my stash of 2021s

Feel for me in huge, especially on or around the green. Love hearing this!
Literally all of us noticed it. That's what I loved most. Many times, you can hear claims of what equipment is marketed to do, but seeing the results of being able to perceive that the difference in feel on every shot was awesome. I can't wait to order more of these!

Crazier is they did it with NO spin change in what was already the fastest ball on the market :oops:

I am a bit taken back on how they did this as well. The chrome soft X was my favorite ball last year, so I am quite interested in seeing the improvement.

Even reading these early responses about the X and X LS, I now have the thought forming in my head that maybe the LS is worth a try for me?

I would need to find somewhere with a monitor to get numbers as my previous instructor uses Trackman and I could only do testing indoors if I don't want to throw away a load of balls, but with the lack of space in the bays I never feel 100% comfortable swinging clubs (even though it is enough) and spin is estimated most of the time from what I remember whenever I have hit balls

They need a combo box, where you can order a dozen of which ever sleeves you choose...haha. I want a sleeve of each with an extra in the LS or standard X. This softer feel of the LS has me intrigued.

After finally giving Chromesoft a real shot at the end of the season this is the ball release I’m most excited about. I really enjoyed the time I spent hitting Chromesoft at the end of the season. That said it was cold so I think a lot was ‘left on the table’ in regards to performance. Once it warms up I’m 100% buying a box to get a better idea of if it will be my ball of the future.

I will never forget talking to my Grandaddy guys on Monday afternoon after the CSX LS ball.

The LS ball was my ball of choice for 2021. Coming from the Bridgestone Tour B RX, I knew I wanted Triple Track, but never really got along with the Chrome Soft or Chrome Soft X from 2020. So when the CSX LS came out last year, I gave them a try and was immediately hooked. I loved that ball, but did have some areas for improvement.

So the conversation with some other Grandaddy guys went like this: I wish the cover was a bit softer, it does tend to feel a bit clicky, especially off of the putter. And there are some durability concerns, (i personally have sliced/gouged up quite a few in the last year). And I really wish it would have a bit more spin on the greens. I need it to bite more.

Imagine our surprise when @JasonFinleyCG is standing on the stage presenting to us, and immediately rattles off:
  • 2022 cover is softer
  • it is more durable
  • better greenside spin

HOLY WHAT. We all looked at each other like, was he spying on us earlier?!?!?

I have played now 54 holes, with 4 CSX LS balls. And the only reason it is 4 balls instead of 1, is that I lost 2 in water, and 1 in a back yard. (1 at the Hideaway on Thursday, 2 when I played in Cincinnati a couple weeks ago). I played with the same ball the entire first day at the Hideaway, and it looked great after, even with a fresh set of wedges.

I plan to stockpile on the 2022 CSX LS!

"The new Chrome Soft also features a new aerodynamic dimple pattern to help with longer carry and lower drag. Testing from the company points to about 0.5 MPH increase in speed off the driver while dropping spin in that club as well as the 7i."

Copied from your article and wondering why they wanted dropped spin in the 7 iron?

Back