2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

What do you think of the gap between PW and GP?

I have seen no major gapping issues between my G and PW in the FTx. G has been about a 130 swing and PW 145-150.

Really surprised at how great the FTX feel. Cobra did an amazing job with the sound and feel of them. Can't wait to get them out on the course.

The feel is very crispy. Honestly have never hit an iron with this great of a feel.

And to top it all off the sounds is beautiful music.

What do you think of the gap between PW and GP?
Good question, and I was worried about that at first, and spent a lot of time with the PW at the range attempting to carry it different distances by choking down and taking 3/4 swings.

C4EE92AE-B219-4107-8678-A6949F1CAC07.jpeg
F5652119-7DE4-4DEB-B51F-C53CDDD35FDF.jpeg
I think it’s workable.

It’s a different game with the FTx irons..

44% GIR today which is my highest GIR in two years. Fantastic.

My miss has always been right. I cut the ball and the miss is a slice. I am hitting these with just the slightest cut out of the fairway and rough and they are dead accurate. Loving it.

While my stats don't quite show it yet, I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the Forged Tecs. Distance has been consistent/predicable, and good shots have been rewarded. Off center shots with confident swings end up in the ballpark and occassionally pretty good.

While my stats don't quite show it yet, I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the Forged Tecs. Distance has been consistent/predicable, and good shots have been rewarded. Off center shots with confident swings end up in the ballpark and occassionally pretty good.

I have been really impressed with misshits. The forgiveness has been great.

I have been really impressed with misshits. The forgiveness has been great.
Toe misses in particular have a surprising amount of distance retained. With my swing a toe miss is often pretty straight, but with a (expected) distance loss. Last couple weeks I've had a couple toey ones that ended up with really good birdie chances.

It’s a different game with the FTx irons..

44% GIR today which is my highest GIR in two years. Fantastic.

My miss has always been right. I cut the ball and the miss is a slice. I am hitting these with just the slightest cut out of the fairway and rough and they are dead accurate. Loving it.
That is awesome to read, I can get a bit cutty as well when the swing isn't working so that is music to my ears - come on FedEx!

So, I went back to the golf store to hit the FTx again today.
Last time, this didn't go so well. I hit the FTx terrible, and I was thinking maybe I was tired, or just off.

In preparation of this, I got up early.
Had a couple of cups of coffee.
Did my "yoga for golfers" video with Adrienne.
I was ready!

Got to the store, got setup with the demo FTx 7iron with the same ES 780 F4 shaft.

This time around, I hit the FTx OK, but not as good as the FT. Mostly my left/right dispersion with the FTx was not great.
I think maybe the problem is the FTx is exaggerating my miss, which is a pull, or overdraw.

I re-read this entire 47 page thread, and realized a lot of you guys who are buying these are getting them 'flattened' 2 or 1 degrees.
I'm still considering buying the FTx, and just flattening the lie to match the FT lie angle. Any thoughts?

After playing almost 150 holes last week :oops: I think I have enough testing on the FTx to know I need to make some sort of tweak to this setup. My GIR is down about 20% compared to normal. I'm missing greens both directions. Can't put my finger on what is causing that, most likely its me haha. The crazy thing is I'm getting used to the distances I'm seeing and having no major issues stopping the ball when I do hit a green

I put together a spreadsheet, to compare the 2015, vs 2022 FT, FTx.. The FTx has less offset, comparitively than the clubs 2015 FTs. I found that surprising. Lie angle is still goofy though.
ModelClubLoftLieOffsetLengthSwing weight
2022 FT939.0°63.5°
2.1​
36.25"D2
FTx936.5°64.5°
2.2​
36.25"D0
2015 FT940.0°63.5°
2.3​
36.25"D2

ModelClubLoftLieOffsetLengthSwing weight
2022 FT729.5°62.5°
2.7​
37.25"D2
FTx727.0°63.5°
3​
37.25"D0
2015 FT730.0°62.5°
3​
37.25"D2

So, I went back to the golf store to hit the FTx again today.
Last time, this didn't go so well. I hit the FTx terrible, and I was thinking maybe I was tired, or just off.

In preparation of this, I got up early.
Had a couple of cups of coffee.
Did my "yoga for golfers" video with Adrienne.
I was ready!

Got to the store, got setup with the demo FTx 7iron with the same ES 780 F4 shaft.

This time around, I hit the FTx OK, but not as good as the FT. Mostly my left/right dispersion with the FTx was not great.
I think maybe the problem is the FTx is exaggerating my miss, which is a pull, or overdraw.

I re-read this entire 47 page thread, and realized a lot of you guys who are buying these are getting them 'flattened' 2 or 1 degrees.
I'm still considering buying the FTx, and just flattening the lie to match the FT lie angle. Any thoughts?

If you hit the FT irons better than the FTx why wouldn’t you just play what fits you best?

@Browndog I was referring to the 2022 FTs, I have the 2015 FTs. To be fair, I also hit the 2015 FTs quite well.

I'm looking to get different shafts in my irons. I figured it was easier to just buy new irons than to try and reshaft my current irons. Plus new stuff is always fun.
Currently using the DG S400s.

@Browndog I was referring to the 2022 FTs, I have the 2015 FTs. To be fair, I also hit the 2015 FTs quite well.

I'm looking to get different shafts in my irons. I figured it was easier to just buy new irons than to try and reshaft my current irons. Plus new stuff is always fun.
Currently using the DG S400s.

I understand.

But if you hit the 2022 FT irons better than the 2022 FTx and also presumably as good or better than the 2015 FT irons why not get the new FT irons?

But if you hit the 2022 FT irons better than the 2022 FTx and also presumably as good or better than the 2015 FT irons why not get the new FT irons?
That's how I'm leaning, but the FTx, in theory, with the forgiveness, tungsten, size, whatever, should be better.
I was thinking if I adjusted the lie, the FTx might actually be better/as good ast the 2022 FTs for me, but I wasn't able to test that in my limited time at the store.

That's how I'm leaning, but the FTx, in theory, with the forgiveness, tungsten, size, whatever, should be better.
I was thinking if I adjusted the lie, the FTx might actually be better/as good ast the 2022 FTs for me, but I wasn't able to test that in my limited time at the store.
I wouldn’t over think it.

Just because a club is supposed to be a certain way doesn’t mean it will be that way for every golfer.

You just don’t know until you hit it. Then after you hit it it should be pretty apparent what works best for your swing and how you deliver the club to the ball.

Go with your gut.

I wouldn’t over think it.

Just because a club is supposed to be a certain way doesn’t mean it will be that way for every golfer.

You just don’t know until you hit it. Then after you hit it it should be pretty apparent what works best for your swing and how you deliver the club to the ball.

Go with your gut.
Exactly. Just hit it and figure out what you need to do to do it solid again!

I played my first round with the Forged Tec X irons last night, and my initial impressions are VERY good!

Of course, I hurriedly unboxed my new Morgan Cup clubs when I got home from work, and took them directly to the golf course. My first shot of the round was with my FTx 6i, and it was beautiful. Smooth feeling contact with a nice solid crack when hitting the ball.

Some stats based on a handful of shots from the round. Bit of a gap between the 6i and 7i, but the 7i was hit directly into wind. More shots are needed to know my distances for certain. However based on these, I feel like my bag will gap nicely.

6i: 205 yds
7i: 175 yds
GW: 135 yds

Turf interaction was good! Easily cut through the grass, without digging too deep after striking the ball. I did hit one a little chunky, but that's definitely operator error. And FWIW, it's been a pretty wet summer up here so the ground has been quite soft.

I'm also really happy with the UST Mamiya Recoil shafts that these irons have been paired with. Nice smooth loading, and I feel a perfect weight balance.

Also, I cannot get over how good these look! Both at address and in the bag! For comparison, I'd say the top line of FTx is remarkably similar to the Callaway Apex 19, though the sole of FTx is a little thicker.

Shaft change incoming!

Oh boy. What are we going to? And what was in there before, just for the reminder?
Stock KBS Tour Lite is what’s in there now, switching to PX LZ… I think

Back