2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

I spent a couple hours at the range with my coach and the gc quad today to dial in my gaps with the FTx. I was concerned with what I was seeing between 6/7/8 irons out on course. When I dove into the numbers those concerns were confirmed.
6i - 194
7i - 190
8i - 165

We ended up bending the 7i 1.5° weak to bring that number down and I like where I’m sitting at now.
Gw- 119
Pw- 133
9i- 149
8i- 165
7i- 181
6i- 194
5i- 209

I spent a couple hours at the range with my coach and the gc quad today to dial in my gaps with the FTx. I was concerned with what I was seeing between 6/7/8 irons out on course. When I dove into the numbers those concerns were confirmed.
6i - 194
7i - 190
8i - 165

We ended up bending the 7i 1.5° weak to bring that number down and I like where I’m sitting at now.
Gw- 119
Pw- 133
9i- 149
8i- 165
7i- 181
6i- 194
5i- 209
Those gaps are pretty much spot on I would say, good job 👍🏻

I need to do something similar I think just to properly iron the gaps out and figure out exactly how I’m playing them.

Lot of time on the range this morning working on irons and liking these more with every shot. Seems that I’m hitting them straight, maybe a slight draw with each club up to the 6 and seeing pretty consistent yardages as well. Look great down at the ball, and feel superb.

Ah yes this setup feels so much better to me! This week I’m going to get on the TrackMan range and dial in my distances and gapping then should be good to go 😊

Took myself out for another bucket of balls this evening just to keep the groove going and have really started hitting these well. Starting to see very consistent distances and ball flights, which can only be a good thing. Thinking about a grip change, but other than that pretty much good to go!

Really starting to find the groove with the Forged Tecs. This past weekend I was striking it well and balls were hitting and sticking throughout the bag. Our greens are pretty receptive right now because we've had a lot of rain for this time of year. When I do miss thin or on the toe there is a ton of ball speed and spin retention and the shots are generally playable. I think the forgiveness might be better than the last FT model for my swing.

Ah yes this setup feels so much better to me! This week I’m going to get on the TrackMan range and dial in my distances and gapping then should be good to go 😊

I have never gamed LZ's, but have always been intrigued. Great to hear to swap is to your liking. (y)

I have never gamed LZ's, but have always been intrigued. Great to hear to swap is to your liking. (y)
Feel wise they are so much better but after a range session yesterday I definitely feel the weight increase.

I continue to be impressed with the FTx irons! They are incredibly forgiving, and look so so good in the bag!

After a few more rounds, I'm starting to feel like my yardages are coming together. Of course, the Arccos data really helps me there...

As it stands today, this is what Arccos has to say about my Smart Distances:

6i: 190 yds
7i: 181 yds
8i: 166 yds
9i: 156 yds
PW: 151 yds
GW: 138 yds

Bit of a close number between 9i and PW, but I think that's just because of the small sample size, and because I take PW off the tee sometimes on one of the par 4's at my local course.

As for shaft combination, I cannot say enough good things about the UST Mamiya Recoil 95's that I've got paired with these heads. Just a smooth feeling from takeaway to impact. And, they look SHARP compared to the FTx heads!

I'm interested to see how these do with firmer conditions. I know my home course is VERY soft, and has been all year, so I'm really not seeing much roll-out.

The enjoyment continues...

The shaft change seems to be a good one for me so far, I feel much more comfortable with the feel but still trying to figure out yardages. On a couple swings today the club I thought should be the number wasn't enough, maybe I'm getting a little more spin or maybe I'm just not swinging as fast because of the weight, I'm not entirely sure. I'm also still struggling with the set GW to the point I may just remove it. It reminds me of the GW from the last FT, it just wants to go straight up in the air and it plays shorter than I need it to go. I had 130 out today from the fwy which I should have from that club based on PW yardage, I took a swing with the GW and my 50* snakebite wedge. The 50* actually went about 5 yds farther 🤷‍♂️maybe its me, I just don't get it. It's a reason I am trying the Shot Scope V3 actually do get some more information. Some bending or a wedge change may be in my future.

The shaft change seems to be a good one for me so far, I feel much more comfortable with the feel but still trying to figure out yardages. On a couple swings today the club I thought should be the number wasn't enough, maybe I'm getting a little more spin or maybe I'm just not swinging as fast because of the weight, I'm not entirely sure. I'm also still struggling with the set GW to the point I may just remove it. It reminds me of the GW from the last FT, it just wants to go straight up in the air and it plays shorter than I need it to go. I had 130 out today from the fwy which I should have from that club based on PW yardage, I took a swing with the GW and my 50* snakebite wedge. The 50* actually went about 5 yds farther 🤷‍♂️maybe its me, I just don't get it. It's a reason I am trying the Shot Scope V3 actually do get some more information. Some bending or a wedge change may be in my future.
It’s interesting that you’re seeing that issue with the set GW. I’m finding it to be pretty reliable for me on course. It’s maybe a touch shorter than I’d like but not much. I have a 14yd gap from that up to PW and 16yd down to the snake bite 54°.

I know there was some concern with consistency of shots around the green using the set GW last year. I’m finding this year’s to be pretty easy to judge the speed there too. If anything it spins a little more than I expect and checks up on me to quickly.

It’s interesting that you’re seeing that issue with the set GW. I’m finding it to be pretty reliable for me on course. It’s maybe a touch shorter than I’d like but not much. I have a 14yd gap from that up to PW and 16yd down to the snake bite 54°.

I know there was some concern with consistency of shots around the green using the set GW last year. I’m finding this year’s to be pretty easy to judge the speed there too. If anything it spins a little more than I expect and checks up on me to quickly.
I experienced this with the set GW from the 2020 Forged Tec as did many others. Its a strange thing for sure. Glad its working for you though, I'll figure it out or I'll make a change.

I'm looking forward to playing tomorrow night and getting some range time in this weekend with the new FT's. I can tell a difference from my old Cobra S3 irons that were more like the LTDx as a larger game improvement. The FT's aren't quite as forgiving on the toe or heel but have still been pretty good when caught low on the face. Biggest difference I've noticed though is the increased weight with the heavier shaft. That will take a couple range sessions to get used to.

I hit the Tec today. I need to stop doing that. I want the 3 iron again now.

There's just something about the look and feel of these that makes me want to pound the daylights out of them. And they look sofriggingood in the bag compared to mine. Rrr

I hit the Tec today. I need to stop doing that. I want the 3 iron again now.

There's just something about the look and feel of these that makes me want to pound the daylights out of them. And they look sofriggingood in the bag compared to mine. Rrr
They really are a VERY good looking iron!!

After a lesson with coach last week to check my gapping and work on the two way miss I’ve been seeing with the FTx lately, everything felt so much more comfortable today. I hit 7 greens in regulation and hit 3 good iron shots into the green after having to punch out of trouble off the tee. I finally feel dialed in. Highlight of the round was the second shot 5i from 220 to 30’ on the par 5 18th. Always fun to finish up with a shot like that and easy birdie.

After a lesson with coach last week to check my gapping and work on the two way miss I’ve been seeing with the FTx lately, everything felt so much more comfortable today. I hit 7 greens in regulation and hit 3 good iron shots into the green after having to punch out of trouble off the tee. I finally feel dialed in. Highlight of the round was the second shot 5i from 220 to 30’ on the par 5 18th. Always fun to finish up with a shot like that and easy birdie.
Nice! Sounds like these irons are really clicking for you!

The ball FLIES off the face eh?!

Nice! Sounds like these irons are really clicking for you!

The ball FLIES off the face eh?!
They are starting to click for sure. They’re a little less forgiving than my old irons so when you combine that with the crazy new distances and playing a lighter shaft, it’s taken a little time. Every round feels better for sure.

I'm getting into somewhat of a groove with these now, only had a coupe of real life rounds but have hit the range a bunch of times and getting things figured out. In terms of full swings, they're gapping reasonably well straight off the bat so I'm hoping there's not going to be too much difficulty translating to the course. Going to limit the range time and maximize course time (work permitting) over the next few weeks, but Shotscope showing the following;

5i 35
6i 182
7i 194
8i 187
9i 164
PW 143

Few anomolies in there I know...

5i I've only used once over the 3 rounds I've had them in hand, and was a punch out of trees that I didn't mark as positional.

Lot of the rounds played in howling winds, so some shots are longer and some are much shorter than I would ordinarily see, along with baked greens and fairways means on such a small sample size the SS data probably isn't the best.

On a Trackman gapping session it looks a lot better,

5i 210
6i 193
7i 181
8i 169
9i 155
PW 144

There were a couple of outliers, a few outrageous 7irons at almost 200 yards, but that is pretty much a playing yardage figure that I'm comfortable with, without trying to swing out of my boots at it.

Such good clubs, so forgiving on mishits and just inspire confidence over the ball.

I'm getting into somewhat of a groove with these now, only had a coupe of real life rounds but have hit the range a bunch of times and getting things figured out. In terms of full swings, they're gapping reasonably well straight off the bat so I'm hoping there's not going to be too much difficulty translating to the course. Going to limit the range time and maximize course time (work permitting) over the next few weeks, but Shotscope showing the following;

5i 35
6i 182
7i 194
8i 187
9i 164
PW 143

Few anomolies in there I know...

5i I've only used once over the 3 rounds I've had them in hand, and was a punch out of trees that I didn't mark as positional.

Lot of the rounds played in howling winds, so some shots are longer and some are much shorter than I would ordinarily see, along with baked greens and fairways means on such a small sample size the SS data probably isn't the best.

On a Trackman gapping session it looks a lot better,

5i 210
6i 193
7i 181
8i 169
9i 155
PW 144

There were a couple of outliers, a few outrageous 7irons at almost 200 yards, but that is pretty much a playing yardage figure that I'm comfortable with, without trying to swing out of my boots at it.

Such good clubs, so forgiving on mishits and just inspire confidence over the ball.

Definitely tough to track distances in a controlled way on-course.

How do those trackman numbers compare to your previous irons?

Big struggle with the FTx this weekend. I adjusted my swing slightly and my contact is absolutely great, but I am pulling everything left 15-20 yards. I am mashing it, and it feels solid but just can’t get away from the pull. Wondering if the offset has something to do with it, need to adjust accordingly.

Definitely tough to track distances in a controlled way on-course.

How do those trackman numbers compare to your previous irons?
Sorry for the late reply dude, was travelling with family all weekend. The numbers are probably 10 yards longer than the old irons, almost a full club. Is taking a bit of getting used to on the course, a few moments of indecision but it will all come out in the wash. I'm tending to make a slightly more controlled swing on them all now which is bringing the distances down to more what I'm used to and seeing slightly more accuracy which I think is the way forwards! Just means if I really want to go after one then there is a bit more in the tank if needs be.

Sorry for the late reply dude, was travelling with family all weekend. The numbers are probably 10 yards longer than the old irons, almost a full club. Is taking a bit of getting used to on the course, a few moments of indecision but it will all come out in the wash. I'm tending to make a slightly more controlled swing on them all now which is bringing the distances down to more what I'm used to and seeing slightly more accuracy which I think is the way forwards! Just means if I really want to go after one then there is a bit more in the tank if needs be.
No need to apologize. Life happens!

That’s pretty fantastic. Everything I read is pointing towards these being a top contender for when I reboot my irons.

Back