2022 Driver Fitting Thread

Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Was conversing with @Triple Frak about driver fittings, and how it's been awhile since we have both had an open OEM fitting experience and this will likely be the year for both of us. I thought it could be interesting for us to capture everyone's thoughts and experiences in a thread on the topic since we are in the heart of driver release season.

What say you? Plans on a driver fitting this year? What heads are you looking at? Seeking ballspeed and bombs or simply to find the short grass?

I am looking for more forgiveness mainly. My swing speed is only going to produce a finite distance. I just want to go for a fitting and see if anything performs better than my current driver. Looking at all drivers, but really interested in Callaway, Cobra and Mizuno. But I also hit @Doubleb21 Titleist really well…

I probably won’t go to a fitting until March.

I'm in the same camp. Certainly going to compare against the current gamer. Looking Cobra, Callway, and Mizuno mostly, with a possible side of Titleist. I'm not sure I can get behind the red of Taylormade nor excited to shell out an extra $100 to switch the colorway there. If it was heads and tails a clear performer, like 15 yards and much tighter dispersion, I'd get over it.

I am doing Super Speed training and have decided to go to CSX LS. I think I could benefit from a driver fitting just to get optimized again. Year to year tech may not get tabbed but I think I could get into a new shaft. I also like hitting new stuff. The question is do I hit in a bay so I can use CSXLS or out on the range???

I’d love to follow along! I feel like a driver change and fitting is a bit lower on the priority list for me, however I am excited by all the new tech and wouldn’t be suprised if theres something substantially better out there for me!

I'm in the same camp. Certainly going to compare against the current gamer. Looking Cobra, Callway, and Mizuno mostly, with a possible side of Titleist. I'm not sure I can get behind the red of Taylormade nor excited to shell out an extra $100 to switch the colorway there. If it was heads and tails a clear performer, like 15 yards and much tighter dispersion, I'd get over it.
The fittings and driver head options are getting so good, I think you can go to a fitting with a brand/color preference and find something that will work really well. If you open it up to all OEM, I think you will not only find something that works well but also sets up well to your eye and has a sound you prefer.

I am pretty cheap. If I don’t find something better than Speedzone performance, I am not spending the money for “feel/sound/aesthetic”

I am pretty cheap. If I don’t find something better than Speedzone performance, I am not spending the money for “feel/sound/aesthetic”
I'm torn. I would and have paid for feel/sound before. But I'm also nostalgic and a homer so it will have to clearly outperform the RadSpeed for me to make the plunge.

I'm torn. I would and have paid for feel/sound before. But I'm also nostalgic and a homer so it will have to clearly outperform the RadSpeed for me to make the plunge.
I have a love/hate relationship with my Speedzone. I love that I got it at the MC and love that it worked for me in 2020. I hate that I can’t hit it as well as other drivers in 2021-2022. I grab a friend’s driver and hit it straight and this one I just can’t anymore.

Maybe it is a shaft thing, but I want to figure it out. I know that if my swing is better I can definitely play the SZ, so that is priority #1. But when I am hitting it better, I want to go to fitting and see if anything outperforms this. driver. My wife is hoping I stay with SZ.

A driver fitting is a maybe. The SpeedZone is pretty forgiving but I'm always looking for a little more. I'm also looking for whatever additional ball speed I can get. As the knee rehab continues, I'm going to see if I can ease back into speed training. But, swinging lefty may put more stress on the knee than I need right now. Last lesson I had, my speed was down to 90-95. I was at 100-102 in the Spring of 2020. I'd like to get back there or as close to it as I can. If I can get ball speed back to pushing 150ish, that's a least one less club on par 4s and puts most 5s in reach.

If I do get a fitting (and can withstand an immediate purchase of the new Cobra), I'll particularly want to look at Cobra, Callaway, Titleist and Mizuno. I'm interested in the Stealth but I've never really gotten along with TM drivers.

I am going to be looking at some new offerings. Like you guys Cobra, Mizuno, Titleist.

I am probably going to do a driver fitting, at a demo day in the future. I only have a finite amount of cash, so I might do a side by side comparison to my current boom stick. I've got a specific person in mind to do my fitting with, and hopefully that happens in the spring. I am not terribly worried about chasing distance. I'd give up some distance to have more forgiveness and consistency. Great thread and I can't wait to follow along! I am rather interested in the Rogue ST line.

Didn't know where else to put this since it definitely didn't deserve its own thread, but coming to the masses for some advice and knowledge.

I basically live out on the toe with most of my clubs and the driver is no different. I went to a driver fitting in November 2021 with the intention of using the head I was currently hitting (Epic Max LS) and was fit into a shaft that has actually tightened up my dispersion by quite a bit. My fitter was completely fine with using the same head, but he also recommended I look into a more upright head in the future to get more towards the center of the face. My current head, Epic Max LS, comes in at a lie angle of 57*, whereas the Epic Max (59*) and Epic Speed (58*) are both slightly more upright. Tough to say without actually hitting these heads, but would I expect to see a noticeable difference/improvement with a change of only 1-2*?

Also, another hurdle is not always having different heads readily available to hit since I am a lefty.

Didn't know where else to put this since it definitely didn't deserve its own thread, but coming to the masses for some advice and knowledge.

I basically live out on the toe with most of my clubs and the driver is no different. I went to a driver fitting in November 2021 with the intention of using the head I was currently hitting (Epic Max LS) and was fit into a shaft that has actually tightened up my dispersion by quite a bit. My fitter was completely fine with using the same head, but he also recommended I look into a more upright head in the future to get more towards the center of the face. My current head, Epic Max LS, comes in at a lie angle of 57*, whereas the Epic Max (59*) and Epic Speed (58*) are both slightly more upright. Tough to say without actually hitting these heads, but would I expect to see a noticeable difference/improvement with a change of only 1-2*?

Also, another hurdle is not always having different heads readily available to hit since I am a lefty.
I saw dispersion improvement when I tested the RadSpeed drivers last fall when I went more upright. That also aligned with how I was fit into irons as an upright player. Hopefully someone a little more into the weeds can provide insight.

I'd also look into the details on the adapter. At least with Cobra the 'Draw' settings make the club more upright. If Callaway's adapter works similarly you can test some of that on your own.

my current driver combo gives me some pretty great results when i give it just a little bit of a decent swing to work with. my bad misses (and they're really bad) are ALL on me and honestly a flaw no driver i've tried since the issue popped up has been able to fix. so in THEORY i should stay put. but among the stealth hype, the rogue st performance in reviews, and cobra ltdx ball speed claims, i may have to put my theory to the test.

I saw dispersion improvement when I tested the RadSpeed drivers last fall when I went more upright. That also aligned with how I was fit into irons as an upright player. Hopefully someone a little more into the weeds can provide insight.

I'd also look into the details on the adapter. At least with Cobra the 'Draw' settings make the club more upright. If Callaway's adapter works similarly you can test some of that on your own.

Thanks! I actually have it in the DRAW setting, but wasn't sure how much more upright it made the lie angle

Does self-fitting into the LTDx count?

Just had a fitting in late 2021 so no plans for another this year. Will be doing some Super Speed Golf training this year though, so hopefully I don't completely invalidate my previous fitting by blowing my previous swing speed out of the water... But I'd take that trade off!!

I had zero intention as i like my TSI2 a lot. But Friday i am trying out the new Rouge line. Too many good things being said and if i can find something better i will change. If it is comparable i will stick with what i have. There are just so many good choices it is tough to pick! @Triple Frak really should get serious on the TSi2 he crushed mine with ease the day i let him try it.

The question is now can I handle a low spin driver.

I had zero intention as i like my TSI2 a lot. But Friday i am trying out the new Rouge line. Too many good things being said and if i can find something better i will change. If it is comparable i will stick with what i have. There are just so many good choices it is tough to pick! @Triple Frak really should get serious on the TSi2 he crushed mine with ease the day i let him try it.
If you order a rogue, I need to borrow the Titleist for a bit 😉

Definitely going to be looking at drivers this year. So far the Callaway and Cobra offerings have my full attention but I'll look at anything. Probably be hitting a bunch at the store to get a feel and likely then a proper fitting.

I'm absolutely all in on a driver fitting this year. I self fit for all the clubs last year, and think I was pretty much spot on other than the driver. I'm typically found in a lower spin head but erred on the side of forgiveness last year just because I couldn't go anywhere to hit the clubs beforehand. This year I will be spending a long time in the fitting studio with settings and shafts etc. Thankfully one of the fitters here is a Cobra staffer, so he will be the perfect person to be speaking to.

I want to optimise things, have a feeling that I'm not a million miles away, just need some tweaks here and there and try all the options in the same setting/environment to really see how they stack up.

Back