2022 Driver Fitting Thread

Going through a fitting for the Rogue ST line at the ECPC for the Grandaddy was world changing. Basically for 2021 I was playing a driver at the complete opposite end of the spectrum than what I needed.
Hitting each of the new Callaway driver heads truly showed what differences can do, and results can be achieved. I implore everyone to at least go for a fitting of some kind if you can before purchasing!!

Going through a fitting for the Rogue ST line at the ECPC for the Grandaddy was world changing. Basically for 2021 I was playing a driver at the complete opposite end of the spectrum than what I needed.
Hitting each of the new Callaway driver heads truly showed what differences can do, and results can be achieved. I implore everyone to at least go for a fitting of some kind if you can before purchasing!!
Care to elaborate on your journey? What were you in, how did you get there, and what you see now with the recent fit?

Care to elaborate on your journey? What were you in, how did you get there, and what you see now with the recent fit?

Going from Mavrik to Epic products, I knew I wanted to get the launch up, while having something forgiving, and then try to bring the spin down more with help from the shaft. Not the right answer, but an experiment I wanted to try. So for 2021 I played an Epic Max 10.5* head, and rotated through a couple shafts, but mostly playing with the Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX. While I was able to get the ball up higher, basically higher launch, I could never get the spin down where I needed it to be, regardless of shaft, cog, or weight track setting.

While occasionally the stars would align and I would have a crushing bomb of a drive, I too often developed a spinny hook miss that plagued me the middle part of the season. This resulted in me trying to ‘hold off’ my finish, leading to weak pushes and slices to the right. So, not a great combo. Also an important lesson to learn, fit to head first, then shaft. Head is going to make greatest difference in launch/spin/shot conditions, and from there the shaft can help provide some assistance.

That’s what helped the change for me in my recent fitting. Find a way to launch it high, with low spin, and won’t go left. The Max LS is that unicorn for me. It remains forgiving, and fits my swing. I could go after a ball without fear, as it was fit to more so reduce my miss, as opposed to 10% of the time I could hit a monster bomb.

So for me, finding the right head, then pairing the right shaft, gives me confidence off the tee and an understanding to what being properly fit for a club means.

They're so sexy right?
I need to be real with my skill set but I think I could game a 2 driver setup where I would use the one that is best suited for that day. Or I could just accept that I don't deserve nice things. :LOL:

I need to be real with my skill set but I think I could game a 2 driver setup where I would use the one that is best suited for that day. Or I could just accept that I don't deserve nice things. :LOL:
You deserve nice things.

So go to the range before hand and see what you have that day, then pick the driver? Or carry two and use them for different purposes? Thinking low spin bomber and shorter fairway finder here.

I tried this for a while back with some success, but eventually started leaning back to FWs and now hybrid/UW in that second spot. @JB probably has the most experience running a two driver setup.

I am holding off on hitting the demo days. I am going to wait and see what I get for my bday (maybe a fitting?).

The demo day event was really good with Callaway today. Reminded me that fittings are important. Saw five mph ball speed gains with the right combo compared to most of the other options.

I think I am going to call up True Spec and break up my full bag into 2 different fittings. Debating on doing another putter fitting but will see what I can do. I really want to spend time with what gapping is.

I may go anti-internet golfer and get lessons instead of a new club first. You guys promise to not take away my THP card, right? 😉

I may go anti-internet golfer and get lessons instead of a new club first. You guys promise to not take away my THP card, right? 😉

I know I did teammate…

I think my plan is to work the swing and track it with arccos. If I can get to certain benchmarks then reward myself with a new driver. Right now I hit more fairways with my three wood and average only 8 yds longer with driver due to the big misses.

I think my target needs to be north of 45% fairways and an average distance north of 250 which would be a 15 yd gap. That disatmcw target seema more than reasonable for someone that lives around 100 mph club head speed.

Either route is still spending money on golf so you are good!

Back