2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

This looks more impressive than it really is as once the rail cars getting moving it's not hard to keep them moving:

I asked google. Didnt find anything. But I would not be surprised.
Here is a battery powered version. Also you can get gas powered generators for those types of situations as well. Kind of defeats the environmental part, but those things are out there as well.

Here is a battery powered version. Also you can get gas powered generators for those types of situations as well. Kind of defeats the environmental part, but those things are out there as well.

Yeah, I have a gene for my pop up camper.

I am in the market for a new electric vehicle (going to be my first one). I put in the reservation for this, but I am still on the fence between this, a Model Y, or waiting for the Cybertruck. I love the idea, and still have a 2002 lightning. But my last experience with Ford regarding my 2016 Exploder [sic] has me concerned. From the ordering process to the repair of issues on a new-platform and redesigned car, it was a disaster, enough to make me swear off Ford all together. That said, I love the F-150 look and platform, which is why I am willing to take a closer look. If the $7,500 tax credit holds (unlikely, as the Mustang will probably exceed the 200k sunset by that point) or it gets extended to 500k (more likely, but not guaranteed) then the sticker shock will not be that bad.

For everyone considering the sub-40k pricing, know that the model will not be available at first release and will likely be a work truck trim, so single cab and vinyl seats. The lowest trim level that most people will be willing to settle on will be the XLT, which still won't have leather interior unless you pay extra. Based on Ford packaging, it is usually more of a value to order a higher trim level with few options. For example, in my Exploder, it was less than $1,000 more to order a Limited vs an XLT with leather, and I picked up the rear auto folding seats. The problem is that those cars usually don't exist on the lot, as dealers order them with higher margin options like blind spot detection, upgraded wheels, etc to add to their front-end profit. In this line, that will probably mean going with a Platinum, which is going to be $60,000 plus. The point is, unless the tax credits are in place, this is going to be a very expensive truck.

Looks good. In my mind the thing that will be lacking in trucks is utility to go camping etc.. You need a way to charge off the grid so to speak. I own a truck for that reason. I like to camp, hunt, etc. They need to figure that out. Some kind of battery pack you can take to charge it up or something..
It would not be possible, as the current in the battery would have to be greater by an exponential factor than that of the car/truck. There are Tesla's that camp now. The solution is to charge before you camp, and then charge on the way out.

It is amazing that the ability to plug your truck into a wall outlet is reality, but this seems like a complete waste.
Tesla's charge at a stated rate (YMMV) of 8 miles per hour. My guess is that this will increase over time. It would not be practical to use this truck without the ability to have fast charging at home. However, without getting into the details, it would be fairly easy assuming a minimum 200 amp panel and no pool heater, or fairly new construction. Personally, I am doing the electrical installation now because, at a minimum, I think its worth it regardless of what car I end up with.

Since I really don't know - Could you buy a Charging package from Tesla and charge up there quicker? See those charging stations all over.
With what happened on the Pipeline and Gas lines, I would think EV's are going to be more attractive every time something like that happens.
Currently (pun intended) it would not be possible. however, other companies and utility services are installing their own more "universal" stations. Tesla uses a proprietary plug. Adapters are available, but you would need to log into the Tesla app to start the charger. I am not sure if that is possible if you are not a Tesla owner, and I do not think the tesla charging stations will allow the charge unless connected to a Tesla. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

A brand new Platinum is currently about 80K this year, if pricing continues to rise through next year 90k won't be far "out of line". I think that's too much but they are still selling plus the tax rebate puts this very close.

And here in lies why I haven't bought a new truck this year. I can't see paying these ridiculous prices :eek:

I am in the market for a new electric vehicle (going to be my first one). I put in the reservation for this, but I am still on the fence between this, a Model Y, or waiting for the Cybertruck. I love the idea, and still have a 2002 lightning. But my last experience with Ford regarding my 2016 Exploder [sic] has me concerned. From the ordering process to the repair of issues on a new-platform and redesigned car, it was a disaster, enough to make me swear off Ford all together. That said, I love the F-150 look and platform, which is why I am willing to take a closer look. If the $7,500 tax credit holds (unlikely, as the Mustang will probably exceed the 200k sunset by that point) or it gets extended to 500k (more likely, but not guaranteed) then the sticker shock will not be that bad.

For everyone considering the sub-40k pricing, know that the model will not be available at first release and will likely be a work truck trim, so single cab and vinyl seats. The lowest trim level that most people will be willing to settle on will be the XLT, which still won't have leather interior unless you pay extra. Based on Ford packaging, it is usually more of a value to order a higher trim level with few options. For example, in my Exploder, it was less than $1,000 more to order a Limited vs an XLT with leather, and I picked up the rear auto folding seats. The problem is that those cars usually don't exist on the lot, as dealers order them with higher margin options like blind spot detection, upgraded wheels, etc to add to their front-end profit. In this line, that will probably mean going with a Platinum, which is going to be $60,000 plus. The point is, unless the tax credits are in place, this is going to be a very expensive truck.

It would not be possible, as the current in the battery would have to be greater by an exponential factor than that of the car/truck. There are Tesla's that camp now. The solution is to charge before you camp, and then charge on the way out.

Tesla's charge at a stated rate (YMMV) of 8 miles per hour. My guess is that this will increase over time. It would not be practical to use this truck without the ability to have fast charging at home. However, without getting into the details, it would be fairly easy assuming a minimum 200 amp panel and no pool heater, or fairly new construction. Personally, I am doing the electrical installation now because, at a minimum, I think its worth it regardless of what car I end up with.

Currently (pun intended) it would not be possible. however, other companies and utility services are installing their own more "universal" stations. Tesla uses a proprietary plug. Adapters are available, but you would need to log into the Tesla app to start the charger. I am not sure if that is possible if you are not a Tesla owner, and I do not think the tesla charging stations will allow the charge unless connected to a Tesla. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

as someone else mentioned. Use a generator to charge it. I am not ready to go electric though. It will be a while..

as someone else mentioned. Use a generator to charge it. I am not ready to go electric though. It will be a while..
A gas generator or an electric "generator" like the one suggested above?

A gas generator or an "electric" generator like the one suggested above?

I have a dual fuel gas/propane generator. I would guess that would work.

Can't you buy a home charger from Amazon and they will contract someone to install it?

Yeah, I'm about to reserve one of these. The Standard Battery XLT sounds like the right option for me.

-I haul more than I tow.
-I rarely go over 200 miles for basically any trip I take.
-I have chargers in the areas I need them to be to make it to any major destination.
-I soft-road more than I go off-road.
-I love my power tools and tailgating so having that 7.2kW of power in the back and 2.4kW in the front would be amazing.

Can't you buy a home charger from Amazon and they will contract someone to install it?

Yes, and with the F150 you can get some extra parts installed with the charger to allow the truck to power your home for a few days if your power goes out.

These electric cars are all just so dang expensive.. How can normal people afford these? Or is that the point??

And here in lies why I haven't bought a new truck this year. I can't see paying these ridiculous prices :eek:
We run F250 Diesels at work, the last one I bought was a 15 in 2019 with 45K miles on it. Last I looked it up it is still "worth" what I paid for it. It's nuts, even the used market now is scary. It's not worth it to me to rearrange my lifestyle to buy something at that price point but I do like the future of options. If I get to a point where I can drive less or they figure out range and quick charging an EV might make sense to me. Until then I'll work with cheaper options and used vehicles.

The estimated wh/mi of this thing is atrocious. I think it will sell well no doubt but this is why you develop a design around your chassis instead of shoehorning EV architecture into a legacy chassis.

Love this! very appealing price too for a truck. I guess the biggest question is how does one make long trips in these things without having to stop and wait for it to charge?

Level 3 chargers can realistically fill a battery in less then 30 minutes.

It is amazing that the ability to plug your truck into a wall outlet is reality, but this seems like a complete waste.

It will likely include an adaptor to allow you to charge at a higher rate on a 40a-60a circuit.

These electric cars are all just so dang expensive.. How can normal people afford these? Or is that the point??

I averaged $50.00 a week in fuel for my Lincoln SUV. I pay approx. $6.00 in electricity costs to charge my Tesla. While the upfront pricing is higher versus a comparable ICE vehicle, long term you are saving a fair bit.

I averaged $50.00 a week in fuel for my Lincoln SUV. I pay approx. $6.00 in electricity costs to charge my Tesla. While the upfront pricing is higher versus a comparable ICE vehicle, long term you are saving a fair bit.
Maybe.. I have heard that as well.. I wonder what the break even point is? When I bought my truck I was looking for a diesel. There are a few reason but fuel consumption was a consideration. I did the math and I have to keep the truck for 25 years to just break even..

Maybe.. I have heard that as well.. I wonder what the break even point is? When I bought my truck I was looking for a diesel. There are a few reason but fuel consumption was a consideration. I did the math and I have to keep the truck for 25 years to just break even..

In Arizona there are also some benefits. My car registration for 5 years was only $80.00 total and in addition I can utilize the HOV lane on all interstates. In addition, my workplace has level 2 chargers so I rarely have to pay to charge my Tesla.

Nice truck, I like the fact that the designers opted for the traditional PU style while giving it a few EV ques, not like that other what ever you want to call it Tesler PU.

In Arizona there are also some benefits. My car registration for 5 years was only $80.00 total and in addition I can utilize the HOV lane on all interstates. In addition, my workplace has level 2 chargers so I rarely have to pay to charge my Tesla.

Good info.

The last two Fords I had before my current Ram had electrical problems..I can’t see this working out well.

I’ll be rolling coal until they pry the keys out of my hands.

I have a dual fuel gas/propane generator. I would guess that would work.
A 4000W gas generator will work, but the charging will be slow and the gas consumption would be significant. It would work, but not very efficiently.

A 4000W gas generator will work, but the charging will be slow and the gas consumption would be significant. It would work, but not very efficiently.

Yeah, I didnt think it would be ideal.. Hence, I am out for now.. Someone will figure it out. Just give it time.. Something reasonably portable and efficient.

The last two Fords I had before my current Ram had electrical problems..I can’t see this working out well.

I’ll be rolling coal until they pry the keys out of my hands.
This is what is giving me pause. On my Exploder, the seat heaters have blown 3 controllers and they cannot determine why and it is now out of warranty. If they cant get that sorted, well this truck will be an adventure.

Back