I just want to improve. Not barely or incrementally. I'm tired of trying to convince myself to enjoy crappy golf... I want to see a real change. Less blowup rounds and more rounds where there's some control from start to finish.
There was improvement but it was slight. I think my average score dropped a bit over 2 strokes. Index may have dropped slightly. So, there wasn't quite the success I'd hoped for.

There were fewer blowup rounds and several rounds where I played ok golf start to finish. That was a success.

I didn't have to convince myself to enjoy the crappy golf. 2022 was the most enjoyable season since taking up the game. Fell off the wagon a couple times with my temper but the bad shots and bad golf were less frustrating.

-Dial in my new clubs and hopefully realize the distance and consistency gains I'm expecting
-Get cap <9
-Top 105mph driver SS
-Improve GIR and proximity on shots in the 50-125 yd range
-Continue improving sand play (it's no longer an immediate handicap, but it's still not a strength)

Report card, as I am out of active handicap as of Tuesday so future rounds will be unofficial:

Goal 1: Dial in new clubs, increased distance/consistency
-Hard to quantify exactly, but I can tell you these irons are going NOWHERE and I have absolutely picked up distance and GIR is above a 5 hcp standard based on ShotScope. So I'm saying this one is a PASS (y)
Goal 2: Cap <9
-Ended the season at 9.1, so VERY close. But I did get the cap down to 8.7 at one point, and I didn't say I had to end the season there, so calling it a PASS (y)
Goal 3: Top 105mph driver SS
-Smashed this one. Currently averaging in the 107 range and have seen numbers 110+ at times. Swing work is paying off! PASS (y)
Goal 4: Increase GIR, improve 50-125yd proximity
-Less stellar here. GIR overall has improved, but I still struggle at times in this range and I really don't give myself enough opportunities to score after good drives or to save pars when scrambling in this distance. Focus for next season. FAIL 👎
Goal 5: Improve sand play
-Definite improvement here. It's still not what I would call a strength, but I think I left VERY few balls in the bunker this season, which is not something I could have said last season. PASS (y)
EDIT: Supporting this, I looked at Shot Scope and it said my sand save percentage is actually now 2% higher than the average 5 handicap (at 25% on 11 rounds). Definitely couldn't have said that even last season!

Overall a lot of success, but some definite room for improvement also! And I had a blast doing it 🤘

2023 goals should be a bit more stat focused with a target of dropping the cap to 8 or below, now that I have Shot Scope data to baseline with.

Last edited:
  • Find a balance between smart and aggressive that keeps me focused and gives me more chances.
  • Lose 5 strokes off my cap (17.4).
  • Reduce shots lost to a 10 handicap to sub 1.0 on all stats.
  • Keep finding the joy in a round.
50%. I hit my two easy goals and missed my 2 reach goals. My mental game really improved this year. The I guess it had to after reaching a 20+ handicap for the first time since I started keeping a cap. I turned things around score wise at the end but it was just enough to get me back to a 17.4. I’m done for this posting season, but not for the year. The grind will continue through the cold temps.

The goal for 2021 was an idea of 5.X, or lower. I hit 5.2....for about a week! Goal for '22 is 5 and then stay within +/-1 for the summer.
❌ index ranged from 6 to 8 for most of the summer. Dagnabit!

1-check
2-check (buddies trip, bourbon bash, Georgia)
3-check (thanks @Motocaddy!!!)
4-tbd
5-check, (Dublin, several in Cincy, Bourbon Bash, Michigan, and linking up with @jjsportz)
#4 is still tbd… trying to figure out if posting season ends Monday or the end of the month

I didn't have to convince myself to enjoy the crappy golf. 2022 was the most enjoyable season since taking up the game. Fell off the wagon a couple times with my temper but the bad shots and bad golf were less frustrating.
That’s awesome to hear as those skills will never erode over time

Enjoy every round no matter the outcome
Stay healthy
Take lessons
See where I can get my index to (currently 11.3)
Get selected for a THP Experience
Break 80 (81 was my best this year)

The Results:

I enjoyed every round
I missed about 2 weeks with back problems
Lessons begin in March 23
Index up to 14.7
No experiences in 22
Season’s best was 83.

Pretty solid year for me! My fitness and practice routines definitely aren’t where they need to be, but there are only so many hours in the day. I played over 20 rounds more than last year! Had a couple 4 birdie rounds, made one eagle, set a new handicap low thanks to a couple 74’s, and played golf in 4 different states.
  • Establish a fitness routine to prevent injury (n)
  • Play more rounds than I did in 2021 (TBD >46) (y)
  • Full swing practice at least 2x per week (n)
  • Putting practice at least 3x per week (y)
  • Make an eagle (y)
  • Make at least 3 birdies in a round (y)
  • Set new handicap PB (<8.0) (y)
  • Play a round in at least 5 different states (n)

My goals are all about continuing to change my swing to a solid repeatable swing with good fundamentals. This should hopefully allow me to break the 10 barrier this year. Was stagnant all of last year which lead to the coach change for 2022.
Well I can tell you my swing is much more solid and repeatable with decent fundamentals. Didn't get my cap below 10 but did get down to 11.5 which was 3-4 better then the start of the year. I also recorded my lowest differential of 7.1. Need to get back on the coach train for this winter.

Just going to keep on hitting the ball just like in past years.

Play 1-3 times a week, with a copious amount of practice in between.

Priority is to slow down the age related deterioration of my over all game.

Hopefully on our planned road trips, I will find some "new to me" golf courses.
Due to vision issues I failed miserably with my 2022 goals.

I still practiced a lot, but most of that was just going through the motions. Staying in some sort of swing shpe.

What really hurt was not actually playing very many rounds for 8-9 months.

A copious amount of quality practice helps one's game, but playing is what really developes one's game for the better.

• 50% F (25% ave currently) ❌ But close 47%. Big misses are now small misses.
  • 11/18 GIRs ❌ 9/11 Irons and wedges started giving me issues so that will be a focus next year.
  • 50% chance of breaking 80 on a regulation course (A bit of a stretch) ✅ Shocked at this one, but I ended at 53%!
  • 30 or less putts per round (34 current) ❌30.9. This was a lofty goal, but very happy with where I ended up. This was from the Data Experience and a putter fitting/lesson.

1668436870911.png1668437381205.png 1668437307616.png

Attachments

• 1668436932576.png
    1668436932576.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back