2022 Hurricane Season Thread

And Virginie??? Is that Virginia with a "twang"?

Well, Alex is already crossed off the list...that was quick

I have a feeling it might be a rough storm season. It’s been pretty warm here for a month already. Last 2-3 summers were very moderate temperature wise. I don’t think we hit triple digits at all last year.

I have high hopes for this Hurricane. No one wrecks like Gaston, causes mess like Gaston. No one drops the MB’s quite like Gaston.
Well we should have an idea by the middle of July

Driving to the Keys tonight. Will be wet tomorrow, but flattening the seas rest of week!

I have high hopes for this Hurricane. No one wrecks like Gaston, causes mess like Gaston. No one drops the MB’s quite like Gaston.

(slow clap) Well done.

Didn't we just have a Hermine a few years ago?

Edit: Yeah, just looked it up, it went over my house in 2016. They need to pay better attention when they recycle these names...
Atlantic storm names are on 6-yr cycle. Names get retired and replaced if the storm is extremely destructive or deadly.

Ida was retired from the 2027 list in April.

June 1st kicks off hurricane season, so I figured I would get this up so we have a place to discuss preparation, developments, and check in with each other in the event of a storm, as has been THP tradition over the last few years. Here’s to hoping that we all avoid any major storms!

This year’s list names:

View attachment 9093179

At least I know Tobias will be a miss, right @RealPretendPsychic?
We're writing some blogs for a lawyer in Houston that wants us to use these names in our writing. First thing I thought of was how do you have Bonnie & Colin back-to-back? Someone missed an opportunity there!

So, I've never paid attention to this stuff.

How inconvenient are these things?
FL is on the list of potential places to move in 3 years.

Kinda sounds like a pain in the ass?

Depends. I lived thorugh Andrew and a couple of others. Tropical Storms not really an issue, 1 or 2 hurricanes scraping the coast a year not too bad, you get a season where 3 or 4 decent storms make landfall and it can be brutal. I lived in Destin during a couple and the bridges took some damage and made travel a pain.

My parent's still live in Parkland and have shutters along with impact windows and have wind coverage and flood coverage as their house backs up to water so it isn't exactly cheap. Only issue they really have encountered is after a storm everyone needs work done so having their roof repaired (spanish tile not shingles) took a couple of months to get someone out there.

My sister and her husband have lived there 3 years now and really enjoy it. They are just south of Tampa.

They are inconvenient, but I wouldn’t not live here because of them. For the bad ones, you can always just leave. With modern construction, a cat 1 or 2 is just a day at home. The biggest pain in the ass is putting up hurricane shutters if you don’t have impact resistant windows or accordions.

Depends. I lived thorugh Andrew and a couple of others. Tropical Storms not really an issue, 1 or 2 hurricanes scraping the coast a year not too bad, you get a season where 3 or 4 decent storms make landfall and it can be brutal. I lived in Destin during a couple and the bridges took some damage and made travel a pain.

My parent's still live in Parkland and have shutters along with impact windows and have wind coverage and flood coverage as their house backs up to water so it isn't exactly cheap. Only issue they really have encountered is after a storm everyone needs work done so having their roof repaired (spanish tile not shingles) took a couple of months to get someone out there.

They are inconvenient, but I wouldn’t not live here because of them. For the bad ones, you can always just leave. With modern construction, a cat 1 or 2 is just a day at home. The biggest pain in the ass is putting up hurricane shutters if you don’t have impact resistant windows or accordions.

I echo what they said. I have lived all over FL, and like @pumbaa lived through Andrew. He is right about when you do have damage it can take some time to get fixed due to everyone needing it, and homeowners insurance in FL is not as easy to get as it is elsewhere, a lot of carriers have left the state, so there is that.

However, I am WAY less afraid of a hurricane than I am the tornadoes here in TN. But, I think that comes with living in FL my entire life and knowing that most of the storms (depending on what part of the state you are in) are nothing more than a bad afternoon thunderstorm.

More often than not, you won't be affected. Tropical storms are often less violent than your typical afternoon thunderstorm, they just bring more rain because they move slower. I've been through a handful of major Hurricanes, including Hugo, Andrew and Michael, and probably a dozen other named storms to some degree. Unless its a huge storm like Irma, or you take a direct hit, the concern is storm surge for places on the water.

I believe the correlation is for a more intense season.
Certainly, a more active season, in terms of number of storms, is expected in an ENSO cold phase. This is due to a decrease in vertical wind shear over the Atlantic and an increase in atmospheric instability.

Let's hope we don't even get to the letter A....

It is a thing that you deal with. We have been here two years and have had storms worse in the off season than during Hurricane season. Don't get me wrong I am not downplaying them at all.

This looks ungood:

One factor that’s causing Panovich alarm: the La Niña effect in play this season, which has the potential to create dry, warm conditions in the South, ideal for hurricanes to strengthen. In 2005, the world was between El Niño and La Niña years, meaning that the extra boosts for storms those effects can create were absent. Coupled with much-warmer overall temperatures in the Gulf, Panovich said, the whole situation is worrisome, regardless of the Loop Current. “There’s probably going to be more storms above that warm water than we had in 2005,” he said. “The seasonal set up this year on paper is far worse than it was in 2005.”
😬

Let's hope we don't even get to the letter A....

Well, that'll change later today or early tomorrow morning when this becomes a tropical storm.

Cat 1, lol
Cat 2, semi lol. Like, where is it hitting, and how are my windows and roof
Cat 3, umm… no for real, how close are we talking
Cat 4/5, …… alright time to board up, we gotta go.

Cat 1, lol

Simple yet effective here!

Cat 1, lol
I appreciate this scale.

Back