2022 Hurricane Season Thread

Looks like this one’s path dropped further south.

1654340963022.png

No Shrek????

Alex arrived late and made a run at nominal 'hurricane' status -- winds are up to 70 mph now, but well removed from the center.

It's nearing water that can't sustain a tropical system.

1654493122011.png

After a joke of a "C" storm that formed over land...

No August storms for the first time since 1997.

Right on cue, TD 5 forms on Sept 1st, and should strengthen to hurricane force soon:

The sea surface temperatures in the area are warmer than normal -near 27C. This warm water, combined with a forecast environment of light- to moderate westerly shear for the next three days or so, should allow steady strengthening. The intensity forecast calls for the system to become a tropical storm later today, a hurricane in
about two days, and reach a peak intensity of 80 kt in about 4 days.

No August storms for the first time since 1997.

Right on cue, TD 5 forms on Sept 1st, and should strengthen to hurricane force soon:

Here's to hoping it's more like 1997 then 1961

we could have a very different September...I hope not as we head to the beach the 17th
Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 7.18.21 AM.png

First advisory for TD 9:

1663937581195.png

First advisory for TD 9:

View attachment 9122622

Right now the center of the predicted path is headed right towards Naples where our condo is. My wife's mom also lives there and she just made plans this morning to fly out on Monday and stay with us for 6 days while the storm passes. She got caught when the eye of hurricance Irma hit Naples 5 years ago and doesn't want to repeat that experience. Hopfully this storm doesn't get as strong as Irma.

Last edited:
I was just told to take my laptop home this weekend to make sure I can still log in remotely in case the storm comes this way and we can't come in next week. Only two real things of any consequence on Wednesday and Thursday, so not a bad week for us.

Right now the center of the predicted path is headed right towards Naples where our condo is. My wife's mom also lives there and she just made plans this morning to fly out on Monday and stay with us for 6 days while the storm passes. She got caught when the eye of hurricance Irma hit Naples 5 years ago and doesn't want to repeat that experience. Hopfully this storm doesn't get as strong as Irma.

Yea, Irma knocked a tree down which took out a decent bit of our lanai just north of Naples. Took a long time for that to get fixed. It was good time for anyone in roofing or screen enclosures business though.

Naturally Mrs. Sheepdawg and I have a free condo along with some friends in Santa Rosa starting October 1.

At initial glance, it doesn’t appear like it will be a monster storm. This was Irma
1663940941611.png
the orange in cat 4, red is cat 5. Irma was a big cat 5 way off the cost of even Puerto Rico
I’m no meteorologist but this TD doesn’t have loads of time to become huge

I didn’t know Irma was 6th costliest of all time though

A0E9EE7D-2048-4955-B1C0-0F22FCB053AA.png

At initial glance, it doesn’t appear like it will be a monster storm. This was Irma
View attachment 9122636
the orange in cat 4, red is cat 5. Irma was a big cat 5 way off the cost of even Puerto Rico

View attachment 9122635
I think I got at least a little something from at least four of the storms on that list. Surprised Hugo isn't on there, it was monstrous.

View attachment 9122636

View attachment 9122635
I was on St. John 6 months after Irma and Maria hit. The damage to it was catastrophic.

NHC mentioned rapid intensification as a possibility with TS Ian this morning. Forecast is now for a major hurricane (115 mph) approaching Florida next week.

Last edited:
I was just told to take my laptop home this weekend to make sure I can still log in remotely in case the storm comes this way and we can't come in next week. Only two real things of any consequence on Wednesday and Thursday, so not a bad week for us.
Yeah I’m supposed to potentially be heading out of town next week. If Ian intensifies I won’t be leaving the family or potentially taking them with me.

My daughter lives in Cape Coral and she is waiting for a firm track so they can decide when to head east. They are just close to the cut and have canals behind their home and plus as it shows now, the right side of the storm will produce the highest storm surge. So watching.

It just started drying out out here. Come on whether what the hell? Here comes 9-12in of rain 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

In case anybody was wondering like I was what the letters mean on a hurricane map: Whishing you all in the path an uneventful time.

D: Tropical Depression - wind speed less than 39 mph

S: Tropical Storm - wind speed between 39 mph and 73 mph

H: Hurricane - wind speed between 74 mph and 110 mph

M: Major Hurricane - wind speed greater than 110 mph

1664029104265.png

Back