2022 Hurricane Season Thread

1664113633084.png

1664113676019.png

These folks down here aren’t even concerned which is concerning…
Have they ever been really?

Yes, I understand that the news/forecasts will always err on the side of major risk, if for no other reason than hoping that it may get some of the people to act. But, on the flip side it's when the predictions come true and the people didn't listen that the issues arise.

We're scheduled to depart for Naples October 1 - depending on what happens this week that may change I guess.

When you have lived through enough of these, you become a little immune to the fear. You know the proper precautions to take, but really unless it’s a Cat 3 or higher, most won’t really worry unless you need to worry about storm surge, that can get dicey with flooding. Otherwise, it’s just hoping you don’t lose power.

Tell me you’re a newcomer to FL from the midwest without telling me you are a newcomer from the midwest. 🤣

Tell me you’re a newcomer to FL from the midwest without telling me you are a newcomer from the midwest. 🤣
I finally have my wife convinced for retirement I think. Showed her all the storm surge maps and said we can always drive somewhere if the worst comes out way.

I finally have my wife convinced for retirement I think. Showed her all the storm surge maps and said we can always drive somewhere if the worst comes out way.
I'll tell you, I drove last minute from Naples to North Georgia when Irma was coming and it was like Mad Max, Fury Road. Left at 6 PM, got there at 7AM. Just don't leave last minute 😂

Early projections are for the dying Ian to impact western SC around Friday, most likely downgraded to a Tropical Storm at that point. We could still get 60mph winds and 4-6” of rain, which around here means the potential for tree-down power outages. Wish the standby generated was already installed.

And depending on if you live in an area that can be impacted by storm surge, sure you can leave your home but when its safe to come back, will you have any damage. Always a risk with hurricanes.

When you have lived through enough of these, you become a little immune to the fear. You know the proper precautions to take, but really unless it’s a Cat 3 or higher, most won’t really worry unless you need to worry about storm surge, that can get dicey with flooding. Otherwise, it’s just hoping you don’t lose power.
1000% this. I acknowledge the news is always going to tell you you’re gonna die, because that makes ratings. It also brings panic buying, and empty shelves.

Under a cat 3, go away.

3… where’s the eye hitting?

4&5, okay yeah we should probably board up and think about leaving. That’s a big one

It’s really a tale of two worlds. I was watching the weather channel this morning and they were showing long lines and empty shelves of water.

Then at 9 I went to Costco, waited for one car and then filled up my car with gas. Then filled two propane tanks there. Then went in bought two flats of water (limit was 5 but I already had some) and some food for lunch and dinner. Was home by 10:30.

People here in Miami are chill, mostly. I get that the cone moved away from us, but I think the weather stations drive fear more than preparation at this point.

That’s for sure. Lived through Andrew, Charley, Francis, Jeanne, Mathew, Irma. Had damage in Andrew and Jeanne and with Mathew lost all of our trees due to storm surge and wind. Mathew could have been worst but we sandbagged.

Oh im not worried at all. If you spent the last 48 hrs around the folks I have…oh my lord!!!

@Greg Kulbick looks like it’s turning towards you. Maybe you should or do come down here to Miami with the Mrs., play some golf and hang at the beach?

@Greg Kulbick looks like it’s turning towards you. Maybe you should or do come down here to Miami with the Mrs., play some golf and hang at the beach?
I'll bring it up. If anything, we may head east to the parents' place in Palm Coast. We're keeping an eye on it.

Here we go. Pressure dropped 12 mb between the 5 pm ET (1003 mb) and the 8 pm ET (991 mb) advisories, and the wind speeds increased to 60 mph (up 15 mph).

Back