2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

If and when a ST-z fairway version was release, based on your experience so far would you give it a good long look?

yeah, I would give it a look. I love how this one sounds/feels. Love how it looks behind the ball. Enjoy how I can hit it off the turf, but man when it's supposed to be a safety club off the tee and it gets me into more trouble than a driver would, it's no bueno.

I’m trying to determine if I should spend more for the ‘40% more stability’ or just jump on the previous version. I don’t mind at all playing slightly used clubs so the previous model STZ is very attractive at the $200 eBay price point they tend to go for.

I’m trying to determine if I should spend more for the ‘40% more stability’ or just jump on the previous version. I don’t mind at all playing slightly used clubs so the previous model STZ is very attractive at the $200 eBay price point they tend to go for.
That becomes a personal question. If it helps we can link up and you are welcome to give mine a few swings. But if the goal is saving a few bucks to raid the TPC Sawgrass Pro Shop you might not want to ;)

Having gamed both, I think that the 220 is a big improvement over the OG in both feel and forgiveness. The OG feels great, but the 220 is softer and more pleasant to hit, and stays straighter.

That becomes a personal question. If it helps we can link up and you are welcome to give mine a few swings. But if the goal is saving a few bucks to raid the TPC Sawgrass Pro Shop you might not want to ;)
I am 100% down for this!!

Todays round I put in the Ventus Blue 6s TR and it made a big difference. I had a couple of drives get away from me because of an open clubface, but good and great contact was rewarded. The main takeaway was the TR just felt a little more stable through the swing especially in the tip. this was the best drive of the day on my 3rd hole
82B31F88-2F07-4FD7-A30B-D84B728CA53C.jpg

This is the forgiveness in the driver. I hit this one out towards the toe and still got this out of it.

I’m going to take the regular Ventus and the TR to the range and put them head to head, but after today I think I’m locked into the TR.

also forgiveness is there with this one. I hit some off center strikes and I was really surprised with the yards I ended up withD8954F72-1CA9-4BA7-90E1-E210943AEEE1.jpg

Last edited:
Todays round I put in the Ventus Blue 6s TR and it made a big difference. I had a couple of drives get away from me because of an open clubface, but good and great contact was rewarded. The main takeaway was the TR just felt a little more stable through the swing especially in the tip. this was the best drive of the day on my 3rd hole
View attachment 9099470

This is the forgiveness in the driver. I hit this one out towards the toe and still got this out of it.
View attachment 9099472

I’m going to take the regular Ventus and the TR to the range and put them head to head, but after today I think I’m locked into the TR.

also forgiveness is there with this one. I hit some off center strikes and I was really surprised with the yards I ended up with
Were your off center toe or heel side?

Were your off center toe or heel side?
Mostly heel side. That’s my miss when I get quick with my tempo or don’t fully turn

Mostly heel side. That’s my miss when I get quick with my tempo or don’t fully turn
With the two of us we can cover the whole face as I wander out towards the toe.

Fingers crossed work plays along to get this out this week.

Another round and another solid day of driving. Since going in the bag I’m +2.5 strokes gained to a ten handicap, which is the highest I’ve been in some time. Golf is more fun when you step on the tee with confidence.

The z-axis focus is starting to become apparent. My tee shots seems to stay straighter than previously. I still fight a right miss when I get quick but the average to good swings just seem to hold the line really well.

According to Shot Scope, my strokes gained off the tee vs. a 5 HCP was +4.57 today. That number was surely boosted by a 327 yard drive and a 318 yard drive, both down the middle. The STZ-220 is the real deal, folks, and it's frankly criminal that they're so underappreciated.

According to Shot Scope, my strokes gained off the tee vs. a 5 HCP was +4.57 today. That number was surely boosted by a 327 yard drive and a 318 yard drive, both down the middle. The STZ-220 is the real deal, folks, and it's frankly criminal that they're so underappreciated.
It’s still a bit early, but I’ve found 14 yards on average…

This was a good one to end on. Although to be fair, most are in that vicinity which is strong for me. Currently sitting at 50% fairways which is well above my average.

0D204213-081E-4806-9F1B-77DD7A8D1A13.jpeg

I have been gaming the STX 10.5 and the STX 5 & 7 Wood for a while now with the Acsent shafts. I am more than pleased on how the shafts and heads perform. Last night in league, my drives were dead on and then scored my 1st Albatross from 185 out with the STX 5W. It was a good night to say the least

I have been gaming the STX 10.5 and the STX 5 & 7 Wood for a while now with the Acsent shafts. I am more than pleased on how the shafts and heads perform. Last night in league, my drives were dead on and then scored my 1st Albatross from 185 out with the STX 5W. It was a good night to say the least
Singing endorsement right there. How's the 7W? Looking at possibly moving away from hybrids and into all FW's.

Singing endorsement right there. How's the 7W? Looking at possibly moving away from hybrids and into all FW's.
The 7 W is amazing. High and long.....it replaced a hybrid. The hybrid was a tad low in flight but the 7W took care of that. I know now, with it, I can hit a green and not have it chase off.

4 of 7 fairways tonight… this is fun😎

now if only the irons would cooperate so I can find a GIR…. 😢

Last edited:
The 7 W is amazing. High and long.....it replaced a hybrid. The hybrid was a tad low in flight but the 7W took care of that. I know now, with it, I can hit a green and not have it chase off.

How strong is the draw bias? My CLK hybrid is good, but it has a tendency to draw and it fights me trying to cut it. I'm interested in a 7 wood but I don't need another hook machine.

How strong is the draw bias? My CLK hybrid is good, but it has a tendency to draw and it fights me trying to cut it. I'm interested in a 7 wood but I don't need another hook machine.
I’m a straight to fade guy but have yet to hit a draw with the 5&7. I don’t know if I’m the right person to ask lol I’d highly encourage finding someone who has it and try it. I replaced my CLK with this. Between hitting a ST Max 5&7 wood (not the D model) and the STXs, I have purty much the same flight, so my experience between the 2, I’d say draw bias minimal. Hope that helps

I can definitely see myself taking the 220 for a spin in a couple years when I'm ready to update from the standard ST-Z. The prior version I'm using is really good and it sounds like they made some marked improvements with this version

I’ll let you all guess which one is the Mizuno. (hint: colors aren’t not indicative of brand 😉)
D2F03F8B-D328-4435-8B88-849DEC421C45.jpeg

Really wish I didn’t spin this one like I do. 😭

Question about tee height with the ST-220’s. Anyone find they need to tee it higher or lower than your previous driver? Coming from a ZX5 I feel like I need to tee it a little higher to catch center better

Question about tee height with the ST-220’s. Anyone find they need to tee it higher or lower than your previous driver? Coming from a ZX5 I feel like I need to tee it a little higher to catch center better
I haven’t changed tee height but now that you ask I do live a little high, but I do that with all drivers so it’s a me thing.

Back