2022 Mizuno ST Series Drivers and Metal Woods

Question about tee height with the ST-220’s. Anyone find they need to tee it higher or lower than your previous driver? Coming from a ZX5 I feel like I need to tee it a little higher to catch center better
Hmm... maybe a little? It's hard to gauge since tee height isn't something I really think about, it's much more of a "feel" thing. Also, my swing is always evolving, so it's possible that my tee height has unconsciously changed in response to that. I have experimented with tee heights before, but generally I just tee low in the wind, high if I want to rip, and otherwise (95% of the time) I tee with the ball halfway above the crown.

I’ve been playing the STz 5w. Playing it open and it’s just high and straight. Great club as long as not into the wind .

Sometimes golf is hard. Sometimes your swing gets so lost you shelf your woods just to simply keep it in play off the tee. And sometimes you need to pull out driver again on 17 for the 430 yd par 4 and straight pipe one down the right side.

Only a few holes due to the little one with me tonight but this just continues to perform. Curious there isnt much more chatter on them, they are really good.

Last edited:
Loving this driver more by the day. Index down to a 6. Forgiving as no other!
If I had any criticism is I got it a bit lower than ideal but the thing has so little curve.
Developed a great stinger shot with it. Tee it low and cut off the release for a low straight laser .

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

Been working on a few things with the swing to better square the driver. Hit one on the range today that was a beauty. The sound made the two folks next to me turn around and look. That was fun 😎

(and glad they showed up late and missed the thisclose to sky ball ones 🤣)

I keep eyeballing these on ebay. The original is damn good, and from sounds of it they've really improved. Watching multiple right now 120-150 range so will be interesting to see where they land.

I keep eyeballing these on ebay. The original is damn good, and from sounds of it they've really improved. Watching multiple right now 120-150 range so will be interesting to see where they land.
Just picked up an ST-Z 10.5 in mint condition on eBay for a touch under 200. Just arrived prior to going out of town, so no chance to swing it yet, but a very nice club. Should be easy to get one between 150-200.

Getting these drivers at those prices is highway robbery!!

I watched a few of the 220s before I ended up snagging a deal on the previous model. They tended to land in the 250-300 range. Interesting to see if that’s changed over the past month.

edit- apparently it has and now I don’t feel as good about the ‘deal’ I got lol

I watched a few of the 220s before I ended up snagging a deal on the previous model. They tended to land in the 250-300 range. Interesting to see if that’s changed over the past month.

edit- apparently it has and now I don’t feel as good about the ‘deal’ I got lol
Maybe a head to head range session at MOG is in order

Just picked up an ST-Z 10.5 in mint condition on eBay for a touch under 200. Just arrived prior to going out of town, so no chance to swing it yet, but a very nice club. Should be easy to get one between 150-200.
Yeah the nice thing for me is having an ST-Z I don't have to worry about the shaft that's in it. I'd like to find an Smoke Blue in 6.5 but stiff shafts are definitely more expensive

For those wondering, it looks like the average for these on eBay is right around $180. A few have gone below and above, but in general you could definitely snag one for that.

For those wondering, it looks like the average for these on eBay is right around $180. A few have gone below and above, but in general you could definitely snag one for that.

Played my first 9 with the ST-Z today. Definitely found the right side a bit more than I'm used to, but that's not the fault of the driver. My last lesson has me working on a few things including my grip and tempo. No nasty slices but certainly a few hard cuts maybe 10 yds off the target line. Distance is good, comparable to the G400 max I previously played and definitely longer than my current 300 mini. Biggest thing is no nasty hooks like either of those 2 have been pretty reliable at producing. My best takeaway is the sound and feel off the Mizuno. Every manufacturer should be studying what Mizuno did here. They absolutely nailed it. I can only think of one driver out of dozens over 25 years that felt this good (Tobunda GT - Japanese house brand for Golf 1). The ST-Z is what I will judge all future drivers off of in those respects.
Next time out, I'm going to play around with the adjustments to tune in the ball flight I want and even look at a different shaft option than the Riptide (maybe a bit more height/kick).

Swing was a bit all over the map, so my strike was all over the map, but my ball didn't quite go all over course. It felt like the head helped keep me in playable positions yesterday.

Second round with the Z today and let me just say I'm thoroughly impressed. Firmly in the bag. Hit 86% FIR and put some in spots I had no business being in. Forgot my wrench in the other bag, so didn't play with the settings and just played the fade. This driver is definitely sensitive to tee height, but I think I've got it pegged. Seriously thinking about the fairways now, but my Mavrik max is just so predictable I hesitate to change. The top of my bag is starting to come together nicely with the Z, the Mavrik 5w, and a G425 hybrid. Putter is sorted, wedges locked down. Now if I can just get my irons where I want them... A little more draw in my Launcher CBX than I like, but getting that dialed too.

Can't believe so many people seem to sleep on this driver. I hit my buddy's SIM2 max several times today and it was shorter and felt much "worse" than the Z. Mizuno should be selling a million of these.

9/14 fairways hit today and the one that was OB was a lazy swing. I plugged in the Ventus TR and I’m finding center a lot more often. Distance wise, I didn’t measure but I hit a few tee shots that were easily in the 250-260 range. Overall this driver is as long as anything out there and if someone wants distance at a great price point, look no further.

Can't believe so many people seem to sleep on this driver. I hit my buddy's SIM2 max several times today and it was shorter and felt much "worse" than the Z. Mizuno should be selling a million of these.
Agreed, they are so good. I might need to dust off the Cobra LTDx and do a head to head soon. I’m guessing it would be neck and neck.

Never hit better drives using the ST Z 220 9* driver and fairway shots with the ST X 220 3 wood ST X 220 5 wood. The Aldila Ascent 40 gram Senior shaft has a lot to do with the straight results. Love em.

Last edited:
Cranked one 315 yesterday with one of the smoothest, easiest swings I've had in weeks. This thing just works. And as others have said, the sound and feel are unmatched.

Cranked one 315 yesterday with one of the smoothest, easiest swings I've had in weeks. This thing just works. And as others have said, the sound and feel are unmatched.

I had one on shotscope read 279, but I don't believe it. I'm a 225-235 guy and on a soggy course with no roll out, I'm going to attribute that to a GPS misread. Average was closer to my usual than that. Playing tomorrow and hopefully it'll be drier.

I like this new swing…

FBA06072-A6AA-4010-A49B-822E1ACDF5A9.jpg

I really like the 5w. I have it turned down to 4 degrees open and 17. I hit two great shots into par 5’s today. One gave me an eagle putt, the other a short chip on.

Been fighting a loose swing for a bit. Have something hopefully curing by this evening to get this back to when I was centering the ball during the honeymoon phase.

In a related note, this driver is really good keeping things on line, in play, with good distance when you go on an expedition to the far reaches of the high toe.

Back